Most black doctors are women

Problematic Pat

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
aamc-news-graphic-17-02-04-600-d.jpg

The decline in Black male doctors also mirrors the rise of the crack era.

Oatmeal

6th Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DNA-LEVEL-C
I don't know any brehs myself that are in med school like that, I know a few in the field that do other stuff and some in dentistry but no doctors. You gotta take on crazy debt on that path though, plus you gonna be broke during the process. Unless you sell dreams you not about to get any action and you gotta be focused unless you mess with other doctors, but don't couples in those fields have higher divorce rates?

Gunz&Butta

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
:salute:to the women doing it. Back in college, a few smart and ambitious chicks chose pharmacy, physical therapy or dentistry because they wanted to start families early and didnt want to go thru residency. It is not easy.

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
As much as you want to blame targeting, there is also a culture of anti intellectualism that black boys celebrate and play into, a plethora of reasons for that, but many of them can still sit their ass in class and move to the next level. We gotta get our boys to stop giving in to destructive paths (seeing that as masculine) or leaning on hoop and rap dreams (avenues not available to black girls, thus black girls’ ability/desire to focus on school more)

This is what I can’t stand about black Women.
You guys get on a fukking high horse when it comes to school

Eddy Gordo

Banned
Supporter
Daps
This is definitely true, when I took my MCAT back in September. There was only 4 blacks besides me. I was the only dude among those 4.

I have a cousin that just started his residency, for him it was a similar ratio during his time at medical school and even now in his internal medicine residency. Very few black men go into the field compared to women.

It just means black men need to catch up education wise. My goal in the future as a doctor after a few years in practice is to do mini programs and social media on the side to encourage young black minorities explore the field of medicine in a fun way.

I think it’s a combo of most of the reason already presented in this thread. Discussins this its not competition amongst black females and males. It’s def important to increase the amount of black men in medicine. Representation matters in medicine.
I’m currently the only black male in my med school class.

If y'all don't mind me asking how did you study for the MCAT and what did you make?
And what did y'all do as extracurricular? (I'm trying to get into med school)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I took it before the new format and just used Examcrackers and s few AAMC practice tests. Take as many practice tests as you can. Also don’t rush to take it, give yourself enough time to study. A dedicated study period is ideal.
If y'all don't mind me asking how did you study for the MCAT and what did you make?
And what did y'all do as extracurricular? (I'm trying to get into med school)

Shadow123

Pro
Daps
As a black doctor let me give you my take on it.

First, if you don’t understand that black men are born with a target on our back you can stop reading this post now.

The path for a young black boy to succeed is littered with land mines which can derail any chance of higher education, let alone medical school.

Lack of fathers in our homes has devastated our households. Don’t take this as a insult, it’s just a fact.
You can still make it but it’s a much harder road without that male influence.

If you even make it to the admissions stage of college or med school the Supreme Court has ruled that taking race into account is null and void. Don’t even try to make the argument that we are playing on an “even field”, we aren’t. Hence less black applicants.

In undergrad and medical school we had support for the minority students because they knew we didn’t have the same educational opportunities as the majority students.

Let me stop before I write a book on here!

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
A lot of the discussion in this thread is about education proper rather than medicine.

There's a lot that could be said about black boys and education but when it comes to medicine in particular, for those that have the grades and intellect to make it, I think there's a certain nuturing aspect to being that many don't care for. No too different from being a teacher, which we aren't really interested in either.

hotbeezie

Go Dawgzz!!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
On the flip side a lot of dudes in my area going to trade school,truck driving, working offshore, or the pipeline...higher education is a slow grind, Especially if you have prior responsibilities.

A lot of good dudes that I know didn’t finish college to take care of their new family while they girl pursues their education.

part of the reason I didn’t go back is because I didn’t want my girlfriend (now wife) to work while she was in school because I knew how hard it was for me.

:salute:To everybody that’s out there getting that bag and making their dreams come true.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
A lot of the discussion in this thread is about education proper rather than medicine.

There's a lot that could be said about black boys and education but when it comes to medicine in particular, for those that have the grades and intellect to make it, I think there's a certain nuturing aspect to being that many don't care for. No too different from being a teacher, which we aren't really interested in either.
tons of doctors without bedside manners, and men are more represented in medicine (well, as doctors) than women as a whole, so it's not about needing to be nurturing.

Last edited: