Millennials leaving Chicago in droves

Madrasas

Pro
Daps
It's not just Chicago that people are fleeing from in droves, but the state of Illinois in general. That place is heading toward utter financial ruin, and people don't want to be there for it.

The cost of living in Chicago, while not as staggeringly high as the coastal cities, is still much higher than average. It's a very rough place to live if you can't afford it, or so I've heard. And I'm sure the crap winters and violent crime don't help matters.

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: ISO

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
To be honest the white folks I have met who moved to the south live in random ass cac places. At least the blacks I know often move close to one of the major southern cities.

I’ve also been to Charleston, SC which is filled with white people from Ohio and Michigan.
I know the whites will move to white areas I wasnt talking about them Im speaking about the other groups mentioned.

kayslay

Daps
I moved to Chicago two years ago from Minneapolis. It’s definitely a hustle and bustle city, but if you’re college educated and have a good work history there’s emerging opportunities in the tech sector that are lucrative.

But yeah, cost of living is high so I can understand how young people feel that squeeze and would look towards greener pastures.
ive been saying this on LSA for years.
if youre an educated millenial youll do well here
you noticed they didnt ask the ladies they interviewed what they majored in?

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Them Cacs done RUINED Charleston

Charleston born and raised here.

my mother in law inherited her aunt's house in downtown Charleston and she gets letters all the time asking her to sell. She knows not to sell and will keep that shyt forever. It's crazy the amount of cacs we see on the other side of Calhoun street now. shyt is insane compared to my youth, but that's going on everywhere man. Even West Ashley where I grew up primarily, Cacs have all but taken over the black areas there.

Bottom line is in a capitalistic society, this shyt aint changing.

kayslay

Daps
Does the southside of Chicago has parking issues? It looks like the rough areas like Englewood do not but I’ve never been to the southside just Rogers Park.
No not at all the south side has plenty of parking. It's just anything past Roosevelt heading north but that's where i work so if I get a car I'm going to be stuck in traffic and have to pay out the ass for parking.
so for now I"m just taking CTA and stacking I'm not giving uber anymore of my money.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My mama dragged me out before I could leave myself.

A good decision in hindsight.

I know a lot of people that bounced from Illinois period esp. To Texas and Arizona bc the job market sucks, the state in bound for insolvency, taxes out the ass and it cold :scust:

Chicago in the summertime is :wow:

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
All these people trying to live in the heart of downtown Chicago and expecting it to be cheap. Don't make no sense.

Now if you told me the suburbs was expensive then I'd understand. Are Chicago Suburbs expensive? shyt you could live in Joliet which is 45 minutes easy and go to the city every weekend.

I LIVE DOWNTOWN.

ITS CHEAP COMPARED TO NYC/LA.

:devil:
:evil:

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if you're a millenial making 65-85k out of college yes living near downtown is still difficult.

but the people fueling the boom are not and never were the ones who just graduated (unless they had rich parents subsidizing their lifestyle - of which you'll find many).

it's the younger (millenials to 40) dual income families. chicago had more dual income younger couples making more than 100K move in, then any other city in the country (i think last years figures). these people are the ones buying units in new buildings and gentrifying humboldt park, logan square etc.

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
Chicago is a pretty affordable city. That tax rate sucks ass. But it's one of the best food cities in the world and is walkable with pretty good transportations. Millennials just fukking suck with money and that follows you where ever you go.

If it's because of the long ass Winters I can understand. I just moved here from Florida and I love it.