Microsoft releasing “discless” Xbox free and disc to digital in 2019

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
No you fukking dummy.

When you buy a disc you don’t own the game. You own the right to play it. You always need to keep up with that disc to prove to the system that you have the right to play the game.

When you buy a game digitally, your right to play is proven in two places. One on the sever, and one locally. If you lose the server you can still play the game locally. If you lose your local save, you can still prove your right to play through the server.

Digital ownership gives you MORE options, not less.
You own the disc which means you own the primary method of software distribution which is that disc. When you buy digital all you own is a server approval to download and run what they say you can for as long as they say you can.

Can you trade your digital game to someone else for a different game? Can you resell your digital copy after you've played it? If your game was delisted like PT and you lost the ability to download it how would you access it? Do you keep a physical drive with each copy of each game you get digitally?

On the PC side I can get new release digital games for a fraction of the cost a console digital game cost. Hell many of the new titles they give away free with graphics cards and you can buy the key on eBay for upwards of 30-50% off retail. PC digital and console digital don't compare. You can get games dirt cheap on Steam sales.

I don't mind buying PC games digitally because the prices I can get reflect that it's digital. I'm not paying $60 for a digital console game. Until prices go way down I'll buy physical.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You own the disc which means you own the primary method of software distribution which is that disc. When you buy digital all you own is a server approval to download and run what they say you can for as long as they say you can.
No. I keep saying this over and over again. When you buy the game digitally and download it, you have access to it indefinitely, no matter what happens to the server.

I keep saying this, y’all keep ignoring it, to keep repeating the same dumb shyt :martin:

Can you trade your digital game to someone else for a different game? Can you resell your digital copy after you've played it? If your game was delisted like PT and you lost the ability to download it how would you access it? Do you keep a physical drive with each copy of each game you get digitally?
Can you carry your entire library of physical games around with you? Can you allow someone to borrow your physical game while you still maintain access to it? If there’s a disaster and your physical copies get damaged, can you recover them? If your physical game is no longer in the store and you lose it, how you gone play it? If you want to protect your ownership you have backups, same way as you have a shelf in your house to keep discs safe.

On the PC side I can get new release digital games for a fraction of the cost a console digital game cost. Hell many of the new titles they give away free with graphics cards and you can buy the key on eBay for upwards of 30-50% off retail. PC digital and console digital don't compare. You can get games dirt cheap on Steam sales.
This is not true. There’s plenty of deals on consoles, and more to come as more people buy and sell digital tiles. It’s simple economics.

I don't mind buying PC games digitally because the prices I can get reflect that it's digital. I'm not paying $60 for a digital console game. Until prices go way down I'll buy physical.
This is more bullshyt. Big releases are $60 on PC too.

Last edited:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I'll put these questions out there again:

how many times have you been unable to play a digital game because it was removed from your library?

how many times have you been unable to play a physical game because the disc got damaged?

oh, and Alan Wake is back on Steam :umad:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I swear being on this forum is like a time warp backwards.

Digital is what made Xbox one backwards compatibility feasible. Not your worthless discs that Microsoft uses to just stop people from freely downloading games they rent/borrow from others.

It’s fukking over for those pancake sized plastic discs some of you clowns can’t seem to let go of.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

how many times have you been unable to play a digital game because it was removed from your library?
None times

how many times have you been unable to play a physical game because the disc got damaged?
Hey leave my Conker Live and Reloaded for Xbox alone :to:. It has a big scratch on the back.
:sas2:

Honestly, both options should stay. Disc-less option for digital users and keep a disc based version obviously for all the "4K Movies!" and shyt people love to shove down people's esophagus'.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I swear being on this forum is like a time warp backwards.

Digital is what made Xbox one backwards compatibility feasible. Not your worthless discs that Microsoft uses to just stop people from freely downloading games they rent/borrow from others.

It’s fukking over for those pancake sized plastic discs some of you clowns can’t seem to let go of.
the new Spyro Reignited has 9gb on the disc, and then a 20gb patch :mjlol:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Honestly, both options should stay. Disc-less option for digital users and keep a disc based version obviously for all the "4K Movies!" and shyt people love to shove down people's esophagus'.
the loss of a optical disc drive is a big hit to the whole "complete home entertainment package". but then again everyone is using netflix, hulu... or just a jailbroke Firestick :sas2:. and the PS4 can't even play a music CD :mjlol:

at some point people gotta let go of the past. no one expects their new console to play VHS tapes

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
the loss of a optical disc drive is a big hit to the whole "complete home entertainment package". but then again everyone is using netflix, hulu... or just a jailbroke Firestick :sas2:. and the PS4 can't even play a music CD :mjlol:

at some point people gotta let go of the past. no one expects their new console to play VHS tapes
What level of ownership do you have to the content on Netflix or any of those streaming services?

Netflix wants you to perpetually pay them $15 a month for the rest of your life. They've devalued the product they push to the point where people don't care to own it anymore.

The truth about most forms of digital media is the people who value the media the least are the first to embrace the loss of physical media. This isn't like music where on the largest iPhone people can carry around their entire library. The level of convenience for digital video games isn't anywhere near that.

I've never valued movies or TV shows to the point that I want to own them. I watch a show or movie once and more than likely I'll never watch it again. Netflix doesn't bother me in that respect because once I've watched it once I'm probably done with it forever.

Another truth is my digital music and movies I can create and or maintain that. My digital video game library is completely dependent on a company to give me access and maintain access to it. Once I'm buying large TB drives to store all my games myself I'm spending more than I would have had to spend to just have the physical disc.

Some of yall should just keep it real and admit you don't care about being able to revisit games like that in the long term. You play a game once or twice and you're done with it permanently. Yall aren't keeping a closet with TBs of hard drives and your games archived on it. Yall use the argument that one could do that but it's an irrational argument because if you want to archive these games having the physical disc is cheaper and more convenient that that.

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Yall physical disc brehs been lost...

This is no longer the PS3/360 era, you don't just pop in and play.

All those disc you claim you own (you really don't) taking up the same hard drive space that the downloaded games utilize. And the crazy part is that damn near every game requires a day one patch that can sometimes be bigger than the main game. Other than having shytty internet, which a lot of people are stuck with in america unfortunately, there really isn't any argument for physical other than collector purposes which I can understand.

Rockstar just proved to yall you don't own shyt. That same 10 year old GTA 4 disc you think you own, they just went in that mufukka and snatched out songs from all versions, even the physical ones with a patch. You could play that shyt offline and patchless I guess, but at that point you don't even belong in next gen going thru all that shyt.

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Discless?

Digital only?

:russ:

That Cloud "malfunction"

That maintenance period where it's unaccessible for an hour or 2.

I'm coo

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

In January 2019 Nintendo is basically pulling the plug on the Wii. A whole generation of digital content on a console will be unable to be purchased and later down the line in 2019 the plan is that you won't be able to re-download content you bought digitally on the console either.
Wii Shop Channel Is Closing Down
It's with a heavy heart that we have to tell you that the Wii Shop Channel will be shutting down on January 31, 2019. Users will no longer be able to add Wii Points to their account from March 26, 2018.

Thankfully, it will still be possible to re-download purchased WiiWare and Virtual Console titles, then transfer them to the Wii U using the Wii System Transfer feature, but Nintendo notes that this functionality will also cease to work in 2019, so get it done sooner rather than later. Nintendo has said it will provide exact timing on when redownloads will be disabled in the future.

The further out we get and the more unprofitable it is to maintain access to legacy titles on consoles the more likely it will become that stuff like this happens.

The Wii / PS3 / 360 generation was the first console generation where digital titles become more mainstream. Now one of those three is on the cusp of being shut down forever. Some of the others are probably still only available due to some backwards compatibility. Sony already closed the PSP storefront. When does the PS3 storefront become inaccessible from a PS3 like the PSP became for it?

Let's be honest it's not as profitable for them to maintain access to this older stuff so at some point in the future that's getting cut off. You might not care but I got all the PS3 games I want on disc so I can still play them and not have to wait on remasters or re-releases I gotta rebuy.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Some of yall should just keep it real and admit you don't care about being able to revisit games like that in the long term. You play a game once or twice and you're done with it permanently. Yall aren't keeping a closet with TBs of hard drives and your games archived on it. Yall use the argument that one could do that but it's an irrational argument because if you want to archive these games having the physical disc is cheaper and more convenient that that.
I revisit old games all the time. I don't keep them on a hard drive in my closet, cause I can just redownload them from Steam. if Steam goes under, people will still preserve the games through DRM-free models, and piracy

now in the "long term", when you try to play your Spyro Reignited disc, it's not gonna work without the 20gb patch