Microsoft releasing “discless” Xbox free and disc to digital in 2019

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
nikkas still in here talking about "what if I get hacked?" like that is somehow easier and more common than you just getting your discs stolen or broken? :mjlol:
yep, dudes come up with these wild scenarios where you could lose access to digital games

at some point I'm not too worried about playing my old games 10-20 years from now. dudes gonna be on some next level VR shyt, while I'm struggling trying to find an RF switch for my NES

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
No difference from physical. You have to maintain your library yourself indefinitely.

You do some dumb shyt and get banned from GameStop you can no longer walk in the store and buy games.

Difference is digital the game store will hold your ownership for you, so you don’t need to keep a physical copy of your game. Physical ownership is tied down to the disc.

Basically digital you have and can prove ownership in two places. Local hardware and/or “the cloud”

Physical you can only prove ownership in one place, the disc.

That makes digital game copies more convenient/flexible, not less.

No, never said this. Why you making shyt up?:mjpls:

Again not fukking true. Please inform yourself before repeating dumb shyt over and over again.

Sure. You call people ******s from your hacked Xbox, you might have to make this decision.

The rest of us will be fine :comeon:

Same way you cant go into Best Buy, GameStop, etc threatening people and stealing and expect to be welcomed with open arms.:mjlol:

Believe corporations don’t make discs brehs :mjlol:
If your account is banned it can no longer access Xbox Live. You can no longer re-download games and you can't validate another console outside of your home designated console to play your games like you could without a banned account.

I made that up? So if you move your profile off your home console you're saying you don't need Xbox Live access to be able to authorize a new console to play games?

The funny thing is I openly acknowledge that for people like you who don't care about being able to revisit games in the long term having a console maker be the gatekeeper of your purchased content works.

For people like me who collect games and 20 years from now I want to still have what I purchased physical works better. When I give examples of why you make a bunch of bad faith arguments for things you and no other digital owner is gonna do or you string together risky activities like giving others access to your account to prove me wrong which you still haven't.

The only real argument that can be made here from your perspective is you don't care about the stuff you're playing now long term. Once you reach that point this system works. If you do care then cynicism to how these console makers manage their DRM is warranted.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
at some point I'm not too worried about playing my old games 10-20 years from now.
And if you did care you'd more than likely feel how some of us feel. I have games I've owned longer than some of our posters here have been alive. Classic games that are rare as fukk and can't be bought digital because they exist in a rights ownership hell between multiple companies that will never get sorted out.

I get what yall are saying cause the way yall feel about games I feel that way about movies. In the short term I want access to them but once I've consumed the content I couldn't care less about 20 years from now. I already watched it I'm good. Hell I don't even buy movies I just stream them on stuff like HBO and Netflix.

In games I'm quite the opposite. That's why I don't subscribe to Game Pass.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
If your account is banned it can no longer access Xbox Live. You can no longer re-download games and you can't validate another console outside of your home designated console to play your games like you could without a banned account.
No. You don’t. You can hook up the HDD to any Xbox without the need to connect to live.

I made that up? So if you move your profile off your home console you're saying you don't need Xbox Live access to be able to authorize a new console to play games?
No, you don’t.

The funny thing is I openly acknowledge that for people like you who don't care about being able to revisit games in the long term having a console maker be the gatekeeper of your purchased content works.

For people like me who collect games and 20 years from now I want to still have what I purchased physical works better. When I give examples of why you make a bunch of bad faith arguments for things you and no other digital owner is gonna do or you string together risky activities like giving others access to your account to prove me wrong which you still haven't.

The only real argument that can be made here from your perspective is you don't care about the stuff you're playing now long term. Once you reach that point this system works. If you do care then cynicism to how these console makers manage their DRM is warranted.
You’re the one with the bad faith arguments, lies, ignorance and random doomsday scenarios, not me. :camby:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
No. You don’t. You can hook up the HDD to any Xbox without the need to connect to live.

No, you don’t.

You’re the one with the bad faith arguments, lies, ignorance and random doomsday scenarios, not me. :camby:
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/us
When your Xbox is offline you can:
  • Play games (provided you've set this as your home Xbox or have a game disc)
When not playing digital games on your home console you need online access to authenticate. This is per Microsoft.

If your account is banned you can't do that thus the games are tied to that home console only.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/us

When not playing digital games on your home console you need online access to authenticate. This is per Microsoft.

If your account is banned you can't do that thus the games are tied to that home console only.
When you have a external drive “home console” status is tied to threat drive, so when you hook it up to another console, said console is now the “home console”

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
And if you did care you'd more than likely feel how some of us feel. I have games I've owned longer than some of our posters here have been alive. Classic games that are rare as fukk and can't be bought digital because they exist in a rights ownership hell between multiple companies that will never get sorted out.

I get what yall are saying cause the way yall feel about games I feel that way about movies. In the short term I want access to them but once I've consumed the content I couldn't care less about 20 years from now. I already watched it I'm good. Hell I don't even buy movies I just stream them on stuff like HBO and Netflix.

In games I'm quite the opposite. That's why I don't subscribe to Game Pass.
I get it. I still have a PS2, Gamecube, and a bunch of games. I also got boxes of cassettes, vinyl, VHS tapes, CD's, and DVD's. a bunch of comic books and magazines. I completely understand collecting things, and the memories that can be attached to them

but I don't own a VCR, cassette player, or record player. I also don't have a CRT TV. and that was part of my point, because as the tech advances, it becomes more of a hassle to use old media. who knows what the future holds, but I doubt in 20 years you're gonna plug an HDMI cable into your TV

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
This is going to hurt the consumers badly. Essentially this will take out the pre-owned market. Before, you could hop on ebay, craigslist, offer up etc and bargain for used games for a reasonable price. I was always one of the dudes that would buy certain games a few months after they dropped to allow for price drops.

In middle school I'd rummage the Wal-Mart bins for older games that sell for $10-20 bucks (360 and PS3 games at that).

Now, you'll have the guys at the top controlling the prices and such. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I don't get the fervid responses you have here in regards to something that isn't even a reality at the moment. You're talking like people can trade and sell digital games on consoles RIGHT NOW. Like, relax a bit. I'm getting the impression that this vested interest is solely due to Microsoft being the main progenitor of this "disc-less" console. :skip:
Let's go here then. What's stopping us from being able to trade and sell digital games now? Say you have Uncharted 4 on your PSN account and you're done with the game. Why can't I buy the rights to your digital copy from you and those rights get transferred to my PSN account? Is that an impossible concept to actualize? Clearly it isn't but when you buy a digital game you don't define the terms of your ownership of that game. Someone else does. That someone else doesn't want you to be able to re-sell that digital game so they don't let you. If you could trade or re-sell digital titles it would hurt their sales because who the ell is gonna buy a digital title from Sony at full price when I'll sell you my digital copy for half of retail?

My problem isn't digital ownership. I'm all digital on PC gaming but the PC is an open platform. The DRM is easily beatable. The games aren't tied to a closed box piece of hardware from a specific company. You buy a PC game today and 20 years from now you can run that game on a different PC. I have zero confidence that 20 years from now the servers that let your Xbox One and PS4 or even your Switch connect to their store fronts will still be live.

So I don't have a problem with being all digital. I have a problem with being all digital on closed platforms from companies like Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Owning something on some companies controlling terms doesn't really interest me that much. I'll be buying physical games on consoles until the day they no longer sell them and crap like what they pulled with Spyro I won't buy at all.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Let's go here then. What's stopping us from being able to trade and sell digital games now? Say you have Uncharted 4 on your PSN account and you're done with the game. Why can't I buy the rights to your digital copy from you and those rights get transferred to my PSN account? Is that an impossible concept to actualize? Clearly it isn't but when you buy a digital game you don't define the terms of your ownership of that game. Someone else does. That someone else doesn't want you to be able to re-sell that digital game so they don't let you. If you could trade or re-sell digital titles it would hurt their sales because who the ell is gonna buy a digital title from Sony at full price when I'll sell you my digital copy for half of retail?
That's what i was thinking. Why would they want you to sell your digital games to other users especially through their own ecosystem? That'd be silly. I just don't find it realistic at all from a business perspective. Imagine for example I buy Spider-Man for $30 on PSN today on sale, a week later it's back to $60. In that scenario why would it benefit Sony to let *(X_X)*Cloudsstrife97 and possibly thousands/hundreds of thousands of other users to sell their license of Spider-Man to other users? Even if Sony got a cut it'd still be a loss of sale that they could've had full price and a physical trade in/sell is different as Sony already made their money.

My problem isn't digital ownership. I'm all digital on PC gaming but the PC is an open platform. The DRM is easily beatable. The games aren't tied to a closed box piece of hardware from a specific company. You buy a PC game today and 20 years from now you can run that game on a different PC. I have zero confidence that 20 years from now the servers that let your Xbox One and PS4 or even your Switch connect to their store fronts will still be live.
Yeah that's another factor they don't see. PC Digital is not the same as console digital. There's no worries of BC on PC and on top of that DRM free versions of lots of games exist and it's actually YOURS to play with anywhere without having to "authenticate".

So I don't have a problem with being all digital. I have a problem with being all digital on closed platforms from companies like Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Owning something on some companies controlling terms doesn't really interest me that much. I'll be buying physical games on consoles until the day they no longer sell them and crap like what they pulled with Spyro I won't buy at all.
That's really the main point, PC is an open platform. Xbox, Playstation and Nintendo AREN'T so these guys talking about all digital futures thinking it's like PC are deluding themselves.

Last edited: