Microsoft releasing “discless” Xbox free and disc to digital in 2019

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
That's if BC is there. If BC isn't or if its incremental, you may not be able to play certain titles again in the future. Imagine the dismay to all the PS3 owners who bought loads of content off of PSN that can't play them on PS4(PS1 classics, PS2 classics and PS3 games.)
Can’t play disc based PS3 games on PS4 either. What’s your point :martin:

It has been repeated in this thread dozens of times but to reiterate, whether a console goes obsolete or not doesn't change the fact that the physical disc will ALWAYS be playable on that console.
It’s also been stated that this holds true with digital games as well.
Any game I ever bought on PS4 physically will always work on PS4 regardless of any conditions people lay out such as "Oh but the game has a huge day 1 patch!" or "you have to download the rest of the game! or "You still have to install it so !!!"
Yeah, that last excuse? It's an OPTION still whereas if it was something like say PT where it's not even downloadable anymore, it CAN'T be reinstalled since it would require a download first.
PT is a shytty example. It’s a damn demo :stopitslime:

Otherwise any digital game you’ve ever purchased on PS4 will always be playable on your PS4.

I'm not against digital games, I own a lot on PC but the landscape on PC is far different for reasons mentioned already. I can buy games from many different storefronts at big discounts relatively early and Steam started as a digital store front so there's no physical disc expectation with PC games.

In the long run this issue may not affect everyone and there's pros and cons for both sides so personally I'd like if both options existed. I see no reason for physical discs to go completely away. I see no reason why things have to be extreme on either side. A mix of digital games and physical is fine.
Discs are going away, don’t matter how any of you feel :manny:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Discs are going away, don’t matter how any of you feel :manny:
Digital distribution gives platform holders and publishers more control. Of course physical disc are going away. My point is we aren't headed in this direction to the benefit of consumers but instead for the benefit of these companies.

They'll keep prices the same and cut out the middle men. More money for them.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Digital distribution gives platform holders and publishers more control.
It gives both pulsishers AND USERS. More control.

Don’t know why you are in such denial. Only thing you lose is re-sale ability, but you gain “game share” in its place. And Microsoft has been testing and flirting with digital game “trades/gifting”

When disc finally die, there will be a way to share/transfer digital licenses.

Of course physical disc are going away. My point is we aren't headed in this direction to the benefit of consumers but instead for the benefit of these companies.

They'll keep prices the same and cut out the middle men. More money for them.
Your point is dead fukking wrong. History, technology, and current realities prove you wrong.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Don’t know why you are in such denial. Only thing you lose is re-sale ability, but you gain “game share” in its place. And Microsoft has been testing and flirting with digital game “trades/gifting”

I don't get the fervid responses you have here in regards to something that isn't even a reality at the moment. You're talking like people can trade and sell digital games on consoles RIGHT NOW. Like, relax a bit. I'm getting the impression that this vested interest is solely due to Microsoft being the main progenitor of this "disc-less" console. :skip:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Your point is dead fukking wrong. History, technology, and current realities prove you wrong.
So instead of selling just my game and not having anything related or connected to my identity be involved with the transaction I can give someone else my log in credentials for my account and "game share" with them? That's more control? Are you insane?

Remember when new games released on console store fronts and cost less to reflect the savings the publishers and platform holders got on not having them at retail?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I don't get the fervid responses you have here in regards to something that isn't even a reality at the moment. You're talking like people can trade and sell digital games on consoles RIGHT NOW. Like, relax a bit. I'm getting the impression that this vested interest is solely due to Microsoft being the main progenitor of this "disc-less" console. :skip:
You don’t need to be able to sell/trade digital in order to see its benefits.

That’s just a future maybe.

Right now in 2018 digital gives you more convenience and control. As I said above the only thing you lose is the ability to re-sell the games.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
So instead of selling just my game and not having anything related or connected to my identity be involved with the transaction I can give someone else my log in credentials for my account and "game share" with them? That's more control? Are you insane?
No. Follow along. I said the only thing you lose is re-sell ability, but there’s a work around for that.

I don’t think that work around is better right now, but if saving money by trading games is a big deal to you, you will save more money by picking one trusted person and sharing the cost of the games with them. Don’t need random strangers ore rapestop. You pick one trusted friend or family member and you instantly got half off on any game day one.

Again, at this point I don’t think this option is “better” than being able to simply sell/trade discs, but it’s there as a substitute for those who really need to trade games to reduce cost.

Or there’s stuff like EA Access, PSNow, Gamepass. Obviously you don’t get to keep the games, but if trading-re-sale is your priority you don’t plan on keeping the games anyway.

Like I said digital give MORE options, not less.

Remember when new games released on console store fronts and cost less to reflect the savings the publishers and platform holders got on not having them at retail?

Economics. Supply and demand. More people buying and selling digital games equals lower prices for all. We are already seeing it happening. There’s been some very good sales on digital games as of late.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Feel bad for those with capped internet.

Imagine having to download 150gb for a game and its updates, only to have your entire internet throttled until the next billing cycle :skip:

FIOS gang wins again :win:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
No. Follow along. I said the only thing you lose is re-sell ability, but there’s a work around for that.

I don’t think that work around is better right now, but if saving money by trading games is a big deal to you, you will save more money by picking one trusted person and sharing the cost of the games with them. Don’t need random strangers ore rapestop. You pick one trusted friend or family member and you instantly got half off on any game day one.

Again, at this point I don’t think this option is “better” than being able to simply sell/trade discs, but it’s there as a substitute for those who really need to trade games to reduce cost.

Or there’s stuff like EA Access, PSNow, Gamepass. Obviously you don’t get to keep the games, but if trading-re-sale is your priority you don’t plan on keeping the games anyway.

Like I said digital give MORE options, not less.

Economics. Supply and demand. More people buying and selling digital games equals lower prices for all. We are already seeing it happening. There’s been some very good sales on digital games as of late.
You're reaching trying to spin what amounts to compromising your account to compete with the ability to re-sell individual games you've purchased.

If someone else logs into your account and they do something that gets your account banned on both Xbox Live and PSN you lose access to all that digital content you've purchased. You do know that right?

Companies don't make more money passing their savings on to their customers. Everything going all digital doesn't mean consumers will save more. Look at music and movies as an example. Physical sales are dying off for them and digital prices still reflect what physical prices were.

As for sales physical games went on sale just like digital games do.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You're reaching trying to spin what amounts to compromising your account to compete with the ability to re-sell individual games you've purchased.
I’m not reaching anything.

It’s an OPTION. For those trying to reduce costs. Any strategy to reduce cost is gonna take a bit of effort.

If someone else logs into your account and they do something that gets your account banned on both Xbox Live and PSN you lose access to all that digital content you've purchased. You do know that right?
First off THIS IS NOT fukkING TRUE. HOW MANY TIMES DO I I HAVE TO SAY AND KEEP REPEATING THAT GAMES YOU BUY DIGITALLY ARE YOURS INDEFINITELY DONT MATTER WHAT HAPPENS TO THE SERVERS, YOU WILL NOT LOSE ACCESS TO GAMES YOU’VE ALREADY DOWNLOADED.

fukking take this statement and embed it in your head. Print it out, put it in your sig, read it again and NEVER POST THIS DAMN LIE AGAIN.

It’s become exhausting to correct this lie over and over again.

STOP IT.

Second any used game transaction requires a level of trust from both parties. This holds true for both digital and physical games.

Third this is not how game share works. The person you are sharing with would be using their own account therefore if they do something to get banned, they are only getting their self banned.

Companies don't make more money passing their savings on to their customers. Everything going all digital doesn't mean consumers will save more. Look at music and movies as an example. Physical sales are dying off for them and digital prices still reflect what physical prices were.

As for sales physical games went on sale just like digital games do.
Technology improves and everybody benefits. shyts been happening literally since the dawn of civilization.

Yes companies are gonna position themselves to make more money, but that doesn't mean consumers don’t benefit too.

What you are doing right now is the equivalent to arguing for the use of horses cause cars need gas :mjlol:

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I’m not reaching anything.

It’s an OPTION. For those trying to reduce costs. Any strategy to reduce cost is gonna take a bit of effort.

First off THIS IS NOT fukkING TRUE. HOW MANY TIMES DO I I HAVE TO SAY AND KEEP REPEATING THAT GAMES YOU BUY DIGITALLY ARE YOURS INDEFINITELY DONT MATTER WHAT HAPPENS TO THE SERVERS, YOU WILL NOT LOSE ACCESS TO GAMES YOU’VE ALREADY DOWNLOADED.

fukking take this statement and embed it in your head. Print it out, put it in your sig, read it again and NEVER POST THIS DAMN LIE AGAIN.

It’s become exhausting to correct this lie over and over again.

STOP IT.

Second any used game transaction requires a level of trust from both parties. This holds true for both digital and physical games.

Third this is not how game share works. The person you are sharing with would be using their own account therefore if they do something to get banned, they are only getting their self banned.

Technology improves and everybody benefits. shyts been happening literally since the dawn of civilization.

Yes companies are gonna position themselves to make more money, but that doesn't mean consumers don’t benefit too.

What you are doing right now is the equivalent to arguing for the use of horses cause cars need gas :mjlol:
I said you lose access you as in the ability to access the content you've purchased. That means you have to maintain your entire library of games on your own so in the event of an account ban you can still play them because a banned account can no longer access Xbox Live and thus is locked out from downloading games.

Let me guess you keep your entire Xbox library on Ice for just such an occasion? Also that stuff is at that point tied to that home Xbox and can't be played on any other.

Meanwhile if somebody with a physical Disc gets banned they can just pop the disc in and play on a new account.

Let corporations be the gatekeepers for your purchases all you want. I'm good.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I said you lose access you as in the ability to access the content you've purchased. That means you have to maintain your entire library of games on your own so in the event of an account ban you can still play them because a banned account can no longer access Xbox Live and thus is locked out from downloading games.
No difference from physical. You have to maintain your library yourself indefinitely.

You do some dumb shyt and get banned from GameStop you can no longer walk in the store and buy games.

Difference is digital the game store will hold your ownership for you, so you don’t need to keep a physical copy of your game. Physical ownership is tied down to the disc.

Basically digital you have and can prove ownership in two places. Local hardware and/or “the cloud”

Physical you can only prove ownership in one place, the disc.

That makes digital game copies more convenient/flexible, not less.

Let me guess you keep your entire Xbox library on Ice for just such an occasion?
No, never said this. Why you making shyt up?:mjpls:
Also that stuff is at that point tied to that home Xbox and can't be played on any other.
Again not fukking true. Please inform yourself before repeating dumb shyt over and over again.
Meanwhile if somebody with a physical Disc gets banned they can just pop the disc in and play on a new account.
Sure. You call people ******s from your hacked Xbox, you might have to make this decision.

The rest of us will be fine :comeon:

Same way you cant go into Best Buy, GameStop, etc threatening people and stealing and expect to be welcomed with open arms.:mjlol:

Let corporations be the gatekeepers for your purchases all you want. I'm good.
Believe corporations don’t make discs brehs :mjlol: