Microsoft releasing “discless” Xbox free and disc to digital in 2019

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I revisit old games all the time. I don't keep them on a hard drive in my closet, cause I can just redownload them from Steam. if Steam goes under, people will still preserve the games through DRM-free models, and piracy

now in the "long term", when you try to play your Spyro Reignited disc, it's not gonna work without the 20gb patch
PC gaming and console gaming are different. A console is a closed box environment married to a hardware manufacturer and access to their games exist on their terms unless the hardware is hacked which usually requires old firmware most don't have.

This is about a console all digital lifestyle not PC. Are we really pretending being all digital on PC is even remotely close to being all digital on a console?

When the PS3 hits its 20th anniversary do you think it will still have access to online? Maybe if Sony is nice they let you stream titles you can prove you had digitally but even right now if you owned games on the PS3 you can't play them on the PS4 digitally without another purchase.

As for Spryo I didn't buy that so whatever. I know physical disc days are numbered and I know why and it's mostly to the platform holders benefit not mine. All digital gives the platform holders more control. I'm not sitting around smiling at them releasing broke.and partial games so they can patch and make me download parts of them like it's some benefit to me.

That argument is about as ridiculous as somebody saying you're getting raped so you might as well enjoy the sex. Just because something bad is happening doesn't mean you should embrace it.

When it comes to physical games on consoles I'm riding that till the wheels fall off because these console makers and game publishers are scumbag companies that dgaf about screwing over their customers.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
In January 2019 Nintendo is basically pulling the plug on the Wii. A whole generation of digital content on a console will be unable to be purchased and later down the line in 2019 the plan is that you won't be able to re-download content you bought digitally on the console either.
In this situation you’d make sure you have all your games downloaded.

Just like when they announce they are gonna stop physical sales you make sure you buy and store the games you want.

There’s no difference, you have to work to preserve your games no matter if you own them physically or digitally.

Only difference is, it’s much easier/convenient to have a hard drive than it is to have physical space for all of your discs.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Some of yall should just keep it real and admit you don't care about being able to revisit games like that in the long term. You play a game once or twice and you're done with it permanently. Yall aren't keeping a closet with TBs of hard drives and your games archived on it. Yall use the argument that one could do that but it's an irrational argument because if you want to archive these games having the physical disc is cheaper and more convenient that that.
Same as most people aren’t dedicating a room in their home to hold hundreds of discs.

Fact is the option is there to preserve your software if you buy it digitally and chose to do so.

I personally have never been good at keeping up with stuff digitally or physically, so I know there’s a much better chance that Microsoft will still have record of my ownership of sunset overdrive 10 years from now, than me still having the disc somewhere.

Daps
Reppin
Dallas
My first digital purchase was Wipeout on the PS3. If I want to play it, I have to scroll down to 2008 on the download list to redownload. Meanwhile my battery on the PS3 controller can barely hold a charge. Oh, and the servers have been shut down.

I never owned a 360 so I think backwards compatible is fantastic. I managed to find a european Website that had a digital code for Forza horizon 1. Got it well after it was delisted. Having hundreds of games on a external is convenient. I'm able to plug and play on the one x and one s in my home.

Disc drives eventually have issues as well. I don't mind a digital future as long as I'm able to have access my old games. Microsoft is doing a much better job than sony and Nintendo with old titles. PlayStation classic is a joke and Nintendo keeps selling you the same games over and over again.

We can't trade discs but gameshare works. You could even game share Xbox live. Still going with discs for my PS4 though.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
In this situation you’d make sure you have all your games downloaded.

Just like when they announce they are gonna stop physical sales you make sure you buy and store the games you want.

There’s no difference, you have to work to preserve your games no matter if you own them physically or digitally.

Only difference is, it’s much easier/convenient to have a hard drive than it is to have physical space for all of your discs.
And the problem here is you're making an argument that you don't even stand behind because you have no interest in actually doing what you're arguing for.

Game collectors usually buy physical games. Games are massive and managing that much data across many hard drives and trying to preserve it long term is a nightmare in comparison to maintaining a physical collection. I've got games that are over 21 years old and have zero signs of disc rot. Meanwhile if I download all these games to hard drives I have to spend large amounts of money on drives to store them. I have to categorize what drive each game is on and I have to periodically transfer them to outrun hard drive data corruption and failure.

It takes more work and money to maintain a digital collection long term than it does a physical one. Buying a few bookshelves is way cheaper than buying many TBs of hard drives and juggling data around.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
And the problem here is you're making an argument that you don't even stand behind because you have no interest in actually doing what you're arguing for.
Doesn’t matter what I would personally do. We are talking about rights an responsibilities of software access/ownership.

With that said if Microsoft announced tomorrow that they were canceling Xbox and removing the store I definitely would download all my games to preserve them, which would be much cheaper/easier than trying to find/buy a bunch of discs.

Game collectors usually buy physical games. Games are massive and managing that much data across many hard drives and trying to preserve it long term is a nightmare in comparison to maintaining a physical collection. I've got games that are over 21 years old and have zero signs of disc rot. Meanwhile if I download all these games to hard drives I have to spend large amounts of money on drives to store them. I have to categorize what drive each game is on and I have to periodically transfer them to outrun hard drive data corruption and failure.
Discs no longer hold all the data, day one patches are just as much and sometimes even more data than what’s on the disc. Hardrives are cheaper and easier to maintain than physical storage space. Disc drives go bad way before hard drives do.

It takes more work and money to maintain a digital collection long term than it does a physical one. Buying a few bookshelves is way cheaper than buying many TBs of hard drives and juggling data around.
Nope. You can get a 10TB HDD for around $100 and it will hold way more games than a couple bookshelf’s.

That’s not even considering the fact that you need actual physical storage space for your discs, which also costs money.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Doesn’t matter what I would personally do. We are talking about rights an responsibilities of software access/ownership.

With that said if Microsoft announced tomorrow that they were canceling Xbox and removing the store I definitely would download all my games to preserve them, which would be much cheaper/easier than trying to find/buy a bunch of discs.

Discs no longer hold all the data, day one patches are just as much and sometimes even more data than what’s on the disc. Hardrives are cheaper and easier to maintain than physical storage space. Disc drives go bad way before hard drives do.

Nope. You can get a 10TB HDD for around $100 and it will hold way more games than a couple bookshelf’s.

That’s not even considering the fact that you need actual physical storage space for your discs, which also costs money.
I got over 300 games. How much will I be spending on hard drives to preserve that kinda library? 10TBs ain't gonna cut it. I'm not interested in spending over a thousand dollars to store games across many hard drives to preserve them long term.

If you don't practice what you're talking about you can save the theoretical arguments about what's possible to be done. I have zero issues storing my physical collection. As a game collector I'm telling you physical is better for people who value and want to collect games. It's sad to see these companies kill ownership of games off but they're doing it for their own benefit not the end users benefit.

I own almost 20 physical movies total and that's for my entire life. Most of them I didn't buy personally. I love Netflix because to me movies and shows are a disposable media. I'm not gonna get in an argument with a physical media collector about why Netflix is better because after I short term consume the media I'm done with it.

I get the arguments for digital and in some cases it works will but when you think long term and game companies hold the keys to your ability to access the content you purchased it doesn't. When platform DRM determines how you can access that it doesn't unless you're only thinking sort term. For all these people gun-ho about digital console games they aren't thinking what about 20 years later when I want to revisit this or they're clamoring for another remake so they can rebuy a game they already bought.

At least have the decency to admit you don't care about that stuff instead of making disingenuous arguments. You're in favor for this because in the short term it works great for you and in the long term you either don't care enough to be bothered and are more than willing to let it work itself out.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I got over 300 games. How much will I be spending on hard drives to preserve that kinda library? 10TBs ain't gonna cut it. I'm not interested in spending over a thousand dollars to store games across many hard drives to preserve them long term.
First off, you need the same amount of disc space to preserve physical as you do digital.

Second 10TB would fit all 300 of your games. At most you might have to buy 2 of them, which is $200. Not thousands of dollars.

Third you bought physical games, so you don’t have the option of backing up your games, so you have to maintain hardrive space and physical discs forever if you want to keep those games.

If you don't practice what you're talking about you can save the theoretical arguments about what's possible to be done. I have zero issues storing my physical collection. As a game collector I'm telling you physical is better for people who value and want to collect games. It's sad to see these companies kill ownership of games off but they're doing it for their own benefit not the end users benefit.
All of this shyt is “theoretical” don’t see servers shutting down and people losing access to their games like you been claiming here either.

With that said, it’s not theoretical for me. The exact scenario just played out for me. Nintendo was suing the rom sites and taking them down so I took a hardrive I had sitting around and downloaded a bunch of roms and emulators. Now I’ve preserved all those games and will be able to play them at any time I want, without worrying about specific hardware to play them or maintaining physical copies.

And again. YOU DONT OWN THE GAME. You own your right to play it. That does not change based on how you purchase.

I own almost 20 physical movies total and that's for my entire life. Most of them I didn't buy personally. I love Netflix because to me movies and shows are a disposable media. I'm not gonna get in an argument with a physical media collector about why Netflix is better because after I short term consume the media I'm done with it.
Stay on topic:martin:

I get the arguments for digital and in some cases it works will but when you think long term and game companies hold the keys to your ability to access the content you purchased it doesn't. When platform DRM determines how you can access that it doesn't unless you're only thinking sort term. For all these people gun-ho about digital console games they aren't thinking what about 20 years later when I want to revisit this or they're clamoring for another remake so they can rebuy a game they already bought.
They hold the keys to your access of physical titles as well. Users have to make steps to preserve both digital and physical.

PlayStation stops selling PS3 and your disc drive goes bad, your games are worthless.

In 20 years is it likely that you will still have a working console, controllers, tv hookups(and a tv with hdmi inputs), discs, and a hardrive containing all the data that is not on your discs?

No:stopitslime:

At least have the decency to admit you don't care about that stuff instead of making disingenuous arguments. You're in favor for this because in the short term it works great for you and in the long term you either don't care enough to be bothered and are more than willing to let it work itself out.
nikka this is literally what I said.

I’m bad at keeping up with stuff. It’s more likely I will be able to access my digital library in the future, than it is I will have a bunch of discs and corresponding hardware.

I’m not the one being disingenuous here. You making up lies, exaggerations, ignorance and random doomsday scenarios to argue for discs.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: PS4

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Ladies, this is what it is. Pay attention. This isn't our first rodeo with evolution. Every gen The majority of this forum will tell you why we can't evolve. My favorite being how there is a poor neighborhood somewhere that doesn't have internet access (in 2018 :dahell:) and because of this third world city nobody can eat :laff:
I'll put these questions out there again:

how many times have you been unable to play a digital game because it was removed from your library?

how many times have you been unable to play a physical game because the disc got damaged?

oh, and Alan Wake is back on Steam :umad:
I'll one up what you're saying. How many people still have and use their older systems? A few will say yes, most don't. So most people don't have a closet filled with useless systems. And outside of a handful of titles, they all worthless today but that doesn't seem to matter either :mjlol: Do you guys still have crt sets or are you plugging these older systems directly into your assess :mj: moving on...
I swear being on this forum is like a time warp backwards.

Digital is what made Xbox one backwards compatibility feasible. Not your worthless discs that Microsoft uses to just stop people from freely downloading games they rent/borrow from others.

It’s fukking over for those pancake sized plastic discs some of you clowns can’t seem to let go of.
You know...everything we're getting next gen was slated for this gen and you was sounding just like these fools today. Courtdog's kennel was filled with mostly this topic. I'm glad you're finally on board. You've wised up over the last year or so, I see you :salute:

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
All digital on consoles have short term benefits but long term risks.

All digital on PC is a different ball game.
If we go all digital, and we stay in the same ecosystem, won't we be able to play those games generations after we've sold our past generation consoles?

I'm trying to understand why you believe digital is short term...but physical discs the may lock you into a generation of console that may go obselete has a long term benefit.

Seriously, can you explain or point me to where you've stated your reasons previously in this thread?

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Says the guy who’s a “staff member” on an online forum, and depressed in real life.:comeon:

Again go away buddy. I wasn’t bothering you.

I'm have depression because I have actual real life health issues effecting my life

You're just a fakkit trolling on a forum

And you think I care about being a mod :blaff:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If we go all digital, and we stay in the same ecosystem, won't we be able to play those games generations after we've sold our past generation consoles?
That's if BC is there. If BC isn't or if its incremental, you may not be able to play certain titles again in the future. Imagine the dismay to all the PS3 owners who bought loads of content off of PSN that can't play them on PS4(PS1 classics, PS2 classics and PS3 games.)

I'm trying to understand why you believe digital is short term...but physical discs the may lock you into a generation of console that may go obselete has a long term benefit.
It has been repeated in this thread dozens of times but to reiterate, whether a console goes obsolete or not doesn't change the fact that the physical disc will ALWAYS be playable on that console. Any game I ever bought on PS4 physically will always work on PS4 regardless of any conditions people lay out such as "Oh but the game has a huge day 1 patch!" or "you have to download the rest of the game! or "You still have to install it so !!!"
Yeah, that last excuse? It's an OPTION still whereas if it was something like say PT where it's not even downloadable anymore, it CAN'T be reinstalled since it would require a download first.
I'm not against digital games, I own a lot on PC but the landscape on PC is far different for reasons mentioned already. I can buy games from many different storefronts at big discounts relatively early and Steam started as a digital store front so there's no physical disc expectation with PC games.

Seriously, can you explain or point me to where you've stated your reasons previously in this thread?
In the long run this issue may not affect everyone and there's pros and cons for both sides so personally I'd like if both options existed. I see no reason for physical discs to go completely away. I see no reason why things have to be extreme on either side. A mix of digital games and physical is fine.

Jparker

Innocence lost in the EAST
Daps
Reppin
Durham,NC
Dumb. They should be offering download codes at a discount. Make their online store the place to go for codes. They’re making the same mistake Sears’ made in cancelling its catelog the year before Amazon launched. Adapt. Can’t stop the future.
I asked about that the last time I went in. Apparently they’re selling the codes straight from Sony/Microsoft. Which is why digital prices differ from physical in most cases. I still buy my digital games from GameStop so I can get points for coupons etc.