Methodman and Redman get a cold reception at summer jam. MethodMan says he’ll never perform there again cause of generation gap.

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
I hate when ppl say hip hop is for the youth. In its infancy it obviously was, but now you got a few generations in this thing. The older generation of rappers have made legit careers out of hip-hop. There were not 40 yr old rappers in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. But now there are so the culture needs to shift away from that hip-hop being for the youth, it's not anymore.

Last edited:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You believe so with R&B? I believe it’s the opposite. Older acts seem like they’re held in high regard over these airy, whisper singing, half harmonizing half rapping ass artists now

I can see some ignorant kid saying Jay-Z is for old folks.. I can’t say the same for someone downplaying Teddy Pendergrass or Al Green (both artist sampled in one of the biggest rap beefs of all time)

I agree with your overall point btw. NY is the Hip-Hop Mecca and your own youth that runs around the streets dissing (not saying they have to like ALL older artists) elders is a bad look
Agreed. We have R&B artists of today like SiR, Don Tolliver, Bryson Tiller, October London etc. Problem is the genre is just dead and what's hot among black youth is decided almost entirely by the machine.

Kids not revisiting anything "classic" unless somebody makes the song the background to a trending meme on TikTok like how "Sure Thing" by Miguel had that resurgence a couple years ago

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hate when ppl say hip hop is for the youth. In its infancy it obviously was, but now you got generation in this thing. The older generation of rappers have made legit careers out of hip-hop. There were not 40 yr old rappers in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. But now there are so the culture needs to shift away from that hip-hop being for the youth, it's not anymore.
Agree. nikkas making shyt up as they go along. Hip-hop is whatever you want it to be

Pop music is for the youth and it's pretty much indistinguishable from nowadays

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
How is hip hop a young man's game? Is there a 40 time or cone drill?

No, hip hop was a young genre, not a young man's game. The youth now are not even doing hip hop and barely rappin. We honestly need to hardbody give them a sub genre.

Hip hop is like a vampire movie, or kung fu movie. You should get better with time and be able to easily crush young rappers.

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
It won't change until older artists stand up for themselves. You have to TAKE respect by (lyrical) force.

Thr other part of the equation is us. Half the nikkas on this board over 35 and trying to listen to the latest young jit. When we should be supporting our legacy acts! Tho to be fair, our acts need to continue making good music! Too many of them lose the hunger and have terrible ears for beats.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
These festivals with legacy acts are almost exclusively filled with an older audience. There are hardly any people my age or younger.

Add to that, these festivals rarely have a combination of young and older talent, because the former would be severely exposed. Who are The Isley Brothers, Kool & The Gang, Boyz 2 Men, Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houstons of today?

How many of this generation receive formal vocal training in the church? Can play instruments? Understand scales, chord progressions, modes? Digital producing and a lack of musical school funding destroyed all that.

A rapper who can barely string a sentence together can build a whole career from soundcloud, fruity loops and TikTok.

If you put them on the same stage as this generation’s stars, the gulf in talent would be severely noticeable. I could be wrong but I don’t think there is a festival which has an equal amount of young and new talent on the same stage, because the disconnect would be too great.

Just like we saw with Method Man and Red Man in the OP’s article.
Coachella just had No Doubt headline one day and that crowd was crazy huge. But they also put on a hell of a show.

I think hip hop is maybe the only genre where this is an issue.