Methodman and Redman get a cold reception at summer jam. MethodMan says he’ll never perform there again cause of generation gap.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
The problem word here "mainstream"

Pop & Rap are the only genres making up mainstream, with rap being practically pop in & of itself. What's sold in the mainstream is mainly image & stardom , not music. so of course that lends itself to young people.

Taking mainstream out of it Jazz is jazz regardless of age, classic rockers are doing much better than any current day bands etc.
You’re just yapping

Rock is a dead genre. Jazz has always been irrelevant

Music is sold and the youth decides what’s popular

keond

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA
I have a 15 year old. Its crazy but old school to them is SouljaBoy and Wacka. Redman and Meth might as well have been in the stone ages. She likes the throwbacks but the mainstream shyt like Aaliyah and Usher. Red and Meth were just outside of the mainstream.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I don't see the point in expecting kids to know records that came out before they were born, when their parents weren't even playing that shyt in many cases. To me the bigger issue is 15 years of Hot 97 not playing classic NY rap shyt enough, instead focusing entirely on out of state music (or current NY artists jacking outside sounds and making terrible records). A Hot 97 show should have a crowd that mixed enough to enjoy multiple eras, basically. There should be 35-40 year old people there alongside 20 year old chicks.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We’re talking about why a group of young people weren’t feeling 2 50 year old rappers

You bring up jazz music?
It's the same for EDM, House and any other genre that's not in the business of selling image/stars.

I said what I said

Last edited: