Methodman and Redman get a cold reception at summer jam. MethodMan says he’ll never perform there again cause of generation gap.

King Poetic

Black Coast Island
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
50 cent tour overseas was one the highest grossest tours ever

If 50 shows was only the US nikka would have to revived the original power

Mya said her career overseas has been wonderful and she strictly stays over there and get treated like royalty..

If she was in the states she would have been like young Miami and having to sell her p*ssy for puffy

Last edited:

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
These festivals with legacy acts are almost exclusively filled with an older audience. There are hardly any people my age or younger.

Add to that, these festivals rarely have a combination of young and older talent, because the former would be severely exposed. Who are The Isley Brothers, Kool & The Gang, Boyz 2 Men, Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houstons of today?

How many of this generation receive formal vocal training in the church? Can play instruments? Understand scales, chord progressions, modes? Digital producing and a lack of musical school funding destroyed all that.

A rapper who can barely string a sentence together can build a whole career from soundcloud, fruity loops and TikTok.

If you put them on the same stage as this generation’s stars, the gulf in talent would be severely noticeable. I could be wrong but I don’t think there is a festival which has an equal amount of young and new talent on the same stage, because the disconnect would be too great.

Just like we saw with Method Man and Red Man in the OP’s article.
This whole comment is facts, but the bolded is rep-worthy. The decline of our youth being brought up in the Black Church is DEFINITELY noticeable in the quality of our vocalists.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
You either cultivate the environment you want to live in, or it will be shaped for you. It doesn't just happen by itself.
Bruh these dudes can go to Europe or a festival in America and get way more fanfare. They have already done that ground work. They are know for showmanship.

There's an obvious issue here most people won't touch and it's who's in the crowd at a hot 97 shows. He didn't say he won't play any more young audiences just that audience.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
Bruh these dudes can go to Europe or a festival in America and get way more fanfare. They have already done that ground work. They are know for showmanship.

There's an obvious issue here most people won't touch and it's who's in the crowd at a hot 97 shows. He didn't say he won't play any more young audiences just that audience.

I get you, but I'm not speaking in terms of their showmanship. I'm speaking more to the expectations of their own people as an audience. Nobody's really engaging the following generation(s) in the US, teaching them how to appreciate and respect music like that. They're just letting the tech babysit them and it shows.

What Meth+ Red just learned is the same thing everyone learns as they grow. You don't plant peas and expect to reap corn.