Methodman and Redman get a cold reception at summer jam. MethodMan says he’ll never perform there again cause of generation gap.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Like i said

Older rap artists have to perform overseas where the audience still appreciate real hip hop and your pockets will be good

nikkas in the states are microwaves
Man listen, in Europe and other continents, Wu Tang and other rap legends are considered Gods there. And therein lies the problem, hip hop as a culture never had true gatekeepers. It became an exploitative corporate culture.

This is why mumble no talented rappers have been able to prosper and there is a lack of reverence for our “elders”. Festivals like Ozzfest can have a combination of new and old talent but they are all treated with the same respect.

Can’t say the same for HipHop. Very few artists will command the same respect once they reach 40. After that, they’re considered finished.

Sire366

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Phila
I was gonna have one opinion but seeing that lineup… damn, they had no chance, and they should have known better…

I don’t even know big name artist today that id truly consider hip hop under 30 that maybe makes sense (like why not have them under A boogie with a hoodie, Denzel curry, or even playboi carti)… event producers, or even themselves, sent them to fail before even one note took place

Hater Eraser

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
That California Lifestyle ...
It became and exploitative corporate culture.

Streaming killed the game ...

snoop-dogg-smoking-a-cigarette-bk03do2k1ne797fa.webp

Last edited:

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Streaming is irrelevant.

The reason dilemma seems like my generation either is not taught about the older acts or simply don’t care.
Exactly. Rock fans make sure their children grow up listening to The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Black Sabbath, Metallica etc. Their parents connect them to ‘their’ culture.

Us? We throwaway and discard it once it’s no longer “popping”. This goes for R&B too. White folk are dominating that genre because of a combination of them gate keeping and stopping our talented brothers and sisters from prospering.

There are way better singers in our church alone than Adele and Sam Smith, but they aren’t given that push. Instead we have Cardi B, Sexy Red, Meg The Stallion and others in their mould being pushed to the forefront.

This is all done by design. We need to push by and support our talented ones a lot more but it’s an uphill battle against the machine.

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
Exactly. Rock fans make sure their children grow up listening to The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Black Sabbath, Metallica etc. Their parents connect them to ‘their’ culture.

Us? We throwaway and discard it once it’s no longer “popping”. This goes for R&B too. White folk are dominating that genre because of a combination of them gate keeping and stopping our talented brothers and sisters from prospering.

There are way better singers in our church alone than Adele and Sam Smith, but they aren’t given that push. Instead we have Cardi B, Sexy Red, Meg The Stallion and others in their mould being pushed to the forefront.

This is all done by design. We need to push our talented ones a lot more but it’s a uphill battle against the machine.
You believe so with R&B? I believe it’s the opposite. Older acts seem like they’re held in high regard over these airy, whisper singing, half harmonizing half rapping ass artists now

I can see some ignorant kid saying Jay-Z is for old folks.. I can’t say the same for someone downplaying Teddy Pendergrass or Al Green (both artist sampled in one of the biggest rap beefs of all time)

I agree with your overall point btw. NY is the Hip-Hop Mecca and your own youth that runs around the streets dissing (not saying they have to like ALL older artists) elders is a bad look

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
You believe so with R&B? I believe it’s the opposite. Older acts seem like they’re held in high regard over these airy, whisper singing, half harmonizing half rapping ass artists now

I can see some ignorant kid saying Jay-Z is for old folks.. I can’t say the same for someone downplaying Teddy Pendergrass or Al Green (both artist sampled in one of the biggest rap beefs of all time)

I agree with your overall point btw. NY is the Hip-Hop Mecca and your own youth that runs around the streets dissing (not saying they have to like ALL older artists) elders is a bad look
Of course Teddy Pendergrass and Al Green are gonna be held in high regard. Our parents brought us up listening to them. They wouldn't have us listening to rap like that. Rap hasn't been a respectable genre, by and large, for decades and now they want respect? :mjlol:

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
These festivals with legacy acts are almost exclusively filled with an older audience. There are hardly any people my age or younger.

Add to that, these festivals rarely have a combination of young and older talent, because the former would be severely exposed. Who are The Isley Brothers, Kool & The Gang, Boyz 2 Men, Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houstons of today?

How many of this generation receive formal vocal training in the church? Can play instruments? Understand scales, chord progressions, modes? Digital producing and a lack of musical school funding destroyed all that.

A rapper who can barely string a sentence together can build a whole career from soundcloud, fruity loops and TikTok.

If you put them on the same stage as this generation’s stars, the gulf in talent would be severely noticeable. I could be wrong but I don’t think there is a festival which has an equal amount of young and new talent on the same stage, because the disconnect would be too great.

Just like we saw with Method Man and Red Man in the OP’s article.

Last edited: