Meccapolis Top 100 NY Hip Hop Albums List (Full List In OP)

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Unfinished Business is considered arguably their best album and I can't seem to find it anywhere in top 100. I don't get this at all. EPMD getting mad underrated. The crazy amount of great music their provided from late 80s to all the way through 90s. I guess everyone has their own opinion. Rating that mediocre Jadakiss debut album over Unfinished Business :russ: and so on

Truth.

My favorite EPMD album is Business as Usual. There's no skips on that joint. You got the debut of Redman on two tracks, LL on "Rampage", and mad classic tracks and no mention of it on the list. That's wild AF.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Out west almost nobody heard of Cru, including me. But I heard the Slick Rick song and bought it off that. Everyone I ever shared that album with loved it. Wish they'd gone independent and kept going. At least Yogi got some shine with The Hitmen.

Yeah, Yogi kept going. He was underrated on the beats.

Jadakiss said Da Dirty 30 is one of his favorite albums too, lol. A lot of people slept on it.

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Paid in Full at #4 is wild.. shyt only 6 songs really. 6 strong songs of course, but come on

Chinese Arythmetic
Eric B is on the cut
As the Rhyme goes on

Those 3 songs invented the term filler.

it aint better than Illmatic
It aint as well rounded as Great Adventures
its nowhere better produced than Low End Theory or Midnight Marauders
I prefer Reasonable Doubt if I was stranded on an Island
Ready to Die better lyrically and musically...

Its def a top 15, but its too short for a top 10

Watch Norman Connors come for me tho...lol

Im being honest. Its a top 1 or 2 80's rap album for sure

This always the problem with these lists.

You got to balance the context of the era it's from, the impact it had, and the overall quality. And those factors never get equally applied. But it's impossible to do.

Not talking about Paid In Full specifically. But in general. There's 5/5 albums that's basically perfect works of art, but had minimal impact. Then there's imperfect 3.5/5 albums that changed the game forever but they inconsistent, or didn't age well, or whatever. So which album should be higher on a list? It's never consistent.

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
Truth.

My favorite EPMD album is Business as Usual. There's no skips on that joint. You got the debut of Redman on two tracks, LL on "Rampage", and mad classic tracks and no mention of it on the list. That's wild AF.
Yeah Business as Usual is also great. I really don't understand EPMD's disrespect in here. Both Sermon and PMD had excellent flow and the music they produced were influential. Legitimately some of the greatest producers ever and you add the fact they were good on the mic on top of that.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Yeah Business as Usual is also great. I really don't understand EPMD's disrespect in here. Both Sermon and PMD had excellent flow and the music they produced were influential. Legitimately some of the greatest producers ever and you add the fact they were good on the mic on top of that.

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
EPMD getting mad underrated.

So true. Erick Sermon's production was way ahead of its time. And Parrish was always nice. I was too young to realize it in real time, but it was funny going back and realizing, oh, Erick Sermon was flipping the same type funky samples associated with G-Funk back in 1987.

The number of samples used on Strictly Business and Unfinished Business that got recycled 5-10 years later for big hits from east and west coast artists is crazy.

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
So true. Erick Sermon's production was way ahead of its time. And Parrish was always nice. I was too young to realize it in real time, but it was funny going back and realizing, oh, Erick Sermon was flipping the same type funky samples associated with G-Funk back in 1987.

The number of samples used on Strictly Business and Unfinished Business that got recycled 5-10 years later for big hits from east and west coast artists is crazy.
Yeah the amount of great artists they put on the map and the amount of songs inspired by EPMD was insane. They fit every criteria to have at least multiple albums in the top 100.

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
You are an oldhead you said you was there when a 1992 album dropped. That makes you an oldhead

And everybody who is in the Meccapolis team is 30 and older. You’re making assumptions

This is a Ny Hip Hop list. Not a general Hip Hop list. You named 4 producers who are not from NYC. What they was influenced by is irrelevant to the list

You’re basically overreacting that’s all. Because at the end of the day if the list was extended to 150 it’d be on there

The albums you call mid are classics to other NYC’ers. Your opinion is your opinion only. And it’s valid but this thing yall do when yall overreact as if I got an A Boogie album over a Nas album is corny. You’ll be ok
Stunts blunts n Hip hop was in the 100 source albums list. I dunno bout it being considered mid