Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
When did he say that? :gucci:

Fred.

He did an interview a couple years after the trilogy and they were asking him about all these blockbusters in theaters just like today and he said "the big productions of Chris Nolan for example, they combine both: an incredible mind and beautifully made films on a big scale"

So you see he doesn't have a problem with 'blockbusters' if they are made well. I'm sure you'll just break out some juelzing tho

:manny:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
He did an interview a couple years after the trilogy and they were asking him about all these blockbusters in theaters just like today and he said "the big productions of Chris Nolan for example, they combine both: an incredible mind and beautifully made films on a big scale"

So you see he doesn't have a problem with 'blockbusters' if they are made well. I'm sure you'll just break out some juelzing tho

:manny:

I figured that's the quote you were talking about....and uh....you do realize Nolan has made more movies than the Batman trilogy right?

If it's the quote I'm thinking of, it had nothing to do with "TDK". If you have a direct quote where he specifically mentioned "TDK" I'll hold the L....but it seems like you took a random quote praising Nolan and somehow turned it into "Scorsese likes Batman". :mjlol:

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I figured that's the quote you were talking about....and uh....you do realize Nolan has made more movies than the Batman trilogy right?

If it's the quote I'm thinking of, it had nothing to do with "TDK". If you have a direct quote where he specifically mentioned "TDK" I'll hold the L....but it seems like you took a random quote praising Nolan and somehow turned it into "Scorsese likes Batman". :mjlol:

Fred.

For this quote to make sense the only films that fit what he said at the time are The Dark Knight trilogy, Inception and maybe Interstellar if he had seen it early.. and if he was just talking about Inception he would have said Inception, he wouldn't have used the words "productions" and "they".

It's obvious he's seen more than one.

When The Dark Knight came out a lot of people were saying it was like a Michael Mann crime story it's no surprise that Scorsese looked at it that way.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets

Fred.

This dude trying to pass off the opinion of Scorsese. :dead:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
@obarth @wire28 @Ziggiy

:ohhh:
“I’m puzzled by it. If they want to bytch about movies it’s certainly their right. It seems so disrespectful to all the people who work on those films who are working just as hard as the people who are working on their films and are putting their creative souls on the line just like they are,” Iger said of filmmakers’ comments. “Are you telling me that Ryan Coogler making ‘Black Panther’ is doing something that somehow or another is less than anything Marty Scorsese or Francis Ford Coppola have ever done on any one of their movies? Come on.”
Bob Iger Compares 'Black Panther' to Scorsese and Coppola Films in Defense of Marvel Movies
Black Panther 2 might have a budget of 400 million :wow:

Bob's mad :whew:

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Iger actually had a great response

full quote
Speaking at the Wall Street Journal's Tech Live event on Tuesday, Iger weighed in on the ongoing debate over the cinematic value of the MCU (originally incited by Scorsese sharing his opinion that Marvel movies are "not cinema").

"When Francis uses the words, 'those films are despicable', to whom is he talking?" he quizzed, reeling off a list of names, including Kevin Feige, Marvel's newly-promoted Chief Creative Officer, directors Taika Watiti and Ryan Coogler, as well as MCU stars Scarlett Johansson, Chadwick Boseman, and Robert Downey Jr, as examples.

"Frankly, the motion picture distribution business or the theatrical exhibition business worldwide has relatively thin margins," he said. "When those theaters run movies, not just like ours because there are other blockbusters out there too, they do exceedingly well for them and they make a lot of money on them. That actually gives them the ability to run other films that might not be as successful, but there are people in different places that want to see them."

"We're in the business of making money; we're in a profitable business. At the same time at Disney, we're trying to balance that with telling great stories to the world and infusing them with great values, and supporting an employee base of well over 200,000 around the world with great care and, frankly, respect."

"It doesn't bother me, except I'm bothered on behalf of the people who work on those movies," he explained. "It seems so disrespectful to all the people that work on those films, who are working just as hard as the people who work on their films, and are putting their creative souls on the line, just like they are. You tell me, Ryan Coogler making Black Panther is doing something that is, somehow or other, less than what Marty Scorsese or Francis Ford Coppola have ever done on any one of their movies. C'mon. There, I said it."

"You know, Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese are two people I hold in the highest regard in terms of the films they've made, the films I've liked, the films we've all watched,” he said before concluding later, "If they want to b*tch about movies, that's certainly their right."

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...cut-was-screened-francis-ford-coppola-1108741

Coppola fukked with Black Panther though.

Francis Ford Coppola was so struck by one scene in particular when he screened an early cut of Black Panther, he asked to see it again as soon as the movie concluded.

On the commentary track for the Marvel blockbuster, director Ryan Coogler reveals that he showed an early cut of the film to The Godfather director because "his work inspired a lot of the story," Coogler said.

"As soon as the movie was off, he said, 'Rewind it to the most important scene in the movie. The scene where everything changed,'" Coogler said.

Said moment is when T'Challa (Chadwick Boseman) confronts Zuri (Forest Whitaker) about what happened to Erik "Killmonger" Stevens (Michael B. Jordan) and his father, N'Jobu (Sterling K. Brown), years before in Oakland. T'Challa had learned that his father T'Chaka (played by Atandwa Kani in the flashbacks) killed his own brother N'Jobu, who had secretly been planning to arm the oppressed peoples of the world with Vibranium. After killing his brother, T'Chaka left his nephew Erik (played by Seth Carr in flashbacks) alone in Oakland so that the people of Wakanda would not find out about what had transpired.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
nikkas making billions and care this much about what these directors think, but Martin Scorcese is just "some guy":mjlit:

I'm also not about to take dude's obvious pandering to black people as some discrediting of Scorcese's point. Where was this energy when it came to getting BP on the screen in the first place? But it made mad bread and now you have the convenient black friend to bring up?:mjpls:Why not use Ironman and whoever directed those shyts, as your rebuttal? You sure had no problem staking the future of the franchise in RDJr.:mjgrin:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikkas making billions and care this much about what these directors think, but Martin Scorcese is just "some guy":mjlit:

I'm also not about to take dude's obvious pandering to black people as some discrediting of Scorcese's point. Where was this energy when it came to getting BP on the screen in the first place? But it made mad bread and now you have the convenient black friend to bring up?:mjpls:Why not use Ironman and whoever directed those shyts, as your rebuttal? You sure had no problem staking the future of the franchise in RDJr.:mjgrin:
I was going to question what it meant when BP was the only film everyone was using as a counterpoint.

BP stands out because it was different, because it seemed like Marvel went "Coogler, do what you do:hubie:"

But can that claim be made for the majority of the movies?

Daps
Reppin
Latveria

Look at his full quote