LOWKEY The Ava DuverNay disrespect shows a lot of the problems in the bc

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
I never had even given a Wrinkle in time a second thought. The only reason I have heard about the film was on TheColi. So I went to YouTube and saw the trailer. After watching the trailer I decided that it wasn't for me.

Sometimes things are just that simple.
I find it weird a bunch of grown ass men are debating a movie obviously aimed at young kids or specifically young girls or teenage girls.

This is like a bunch of grown men arguing about seeing/not seeing twilight.

Outside of black people being in the movie, is this even a movie you would be checking for anyways unless you have daughters? :gucci:

Pirius Black

Superstar
Daps
Some of the shyt was over the top. But this shyt sounds hollow coming from you. After all, like the little girl in the movie, I'm sure you got non black women commenting on how much they like your hair and it must be empowering for you that non black women are so taken with you right?
:russ:
Me and my wife saw the movie. It was merely ok. Not s 47% on rotten tomatoes, but it wasn't a must see either. The director fell into the trap of loving a character and not the source material. You strip away the Christian themes and you have neutered the book. If this movie had released two or three years ago, it would be been groundbreaking for "representation " in the wake of Black Panther though, it seems like a safe, neutered compromise. BP actually has black women and girls actually driving the plot and more importantly: they look like them. Not saying that black looking bi racials aren't a part of the black experience but the majority of us don't have wavy hair or light eyes. Spare us the faux feminist outrage, Ava just made a bad movie, snide comments by black men on the coli didn't cause it to flop. She will recover and I intend to see New God's as well.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
and an overall disrespect and lack of love for BW and their arts.

I read thru the few threads on AWIT

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/all-the-guilt-trip-marketing-for-%E2%80%9Ca-wrinkle-in-time%E2%80%9D-failed.614977/
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/a-wrinkle-in-time-search-for-white-daddy-and-white-bae.616360/

And reading how some of you nikkas were deadass rooting for her to fail was alarming

some of u hoping she never gets a shot at another big movie

like shes not same woman who made this
Ava-DuVernay-13th-Documentary-Netflix.jpg

Shedding light on an issue that black men go through at an ridiculous rate. Arguably a top 3-5 documentary of all time when you consider its originality, cultural impact, structure, vision? and the sheer amount of truth loaded into in such a short frame of time. She could have used this as a chance to push an agenda about BM violence towards BW or any of that other shyt, but chose not to. Chose to put aside any and all of her agendas to do right by black men. And she gets repaid by disgusting threads like that because some (not all) black men can’t put their Internal struggle aside to support the art of one of the great visionaries of our time. I’m not saying you have to go see that film, im saying u clown ass nikkas using this film and It’s underachievement as vehicle to push your own agendas is flat out disgusting . The words and the vitriol hurled at Her specifically in these threads is unacceptable. Yall always worrying about if someone is fukkin a BW (truthfully because yall see a lot of women in general as sexual objects, including BW) like they are here simply to have ur offspring and be your other half and nothing else. Y’all forget that they are people going thru the other side of white supremacy , and are victims of both racism and sexism. there is no black Male director going out of his way to showcase an issue that is unique to BW. SHe did that. And we should appreciate her and support her if he u dont like the direction of her film and her “white fantasy fetish” even tho she’s showed you thru previous work that she’s everything short of a “c00n”

Some of U nikkas make me sick and And don’t ever forget it.
First pic I've seen of her that made me wanna smash

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
So far every work i've seen from her doesn't give all too flattering a portrayal of black men. I'm definitely not rooting for her to fail. But I'm not interested in seeing people that look like me portrayed as failures or omitted entirely all the time either. In fact, i feel like she's the one disrespecting me.
Even that Selma movie had to include MLK cheating on his wife even though the only corroborating evidence that that ever happening is from the FBI who were clearly trying to subvert his impact. I doubt character assassination and false accusations were off limits too. Plus the woman who he cheated with would've been famous by now too. on some Monica Lewinsky type infamy and yet nothing. His wife even denied the claims so having her confront him in the movie is utter false hood.
:ehh:you just saved me from ever watching that bullshyt and more reason to not fukk wit Miss Piggy.

And I knew it was only a matter of time before black men were blamed for something in regards to this c00n bytch.:mjlol:

Op did you type all that or did you copy and paste from shea blavity :wrist:Hey Girl!

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H
:ehh:you just saved me from ever watching that bullshyt and more reason to not fukk wit Miss Piggy.

And I knew it was only a matter of time before black men were blamed for something in regards to this c00n bytch.:mjlol:

Op did you type all that or did you copy and paste from shea blavity :wrist:Hey Girl!

:pachaha:

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)

TNOT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
I took my little girls to see AWIT.

I didn't like it. But my 7 year old enjoyed it. Mission Accomplished.

I will say as a black father of two black girls, some things bothered me.

No black men at all in the movie. None.
I guess if you count the principal, but that was a small role.

I don't get her rational about not having a black man play the father, because she didn't want another dead beat dad role.

The whole movie centered around a missing dad, and the love his family has for him. The little girl was being brave and courageous because she wants to find her dad.

The most head scratching moment of The movie was how the young white kid kept repeating how much he liked her hair.

I took it as white validation. Maybe that wasn't the purpose, but I wasn't the only one who noticed.