LOWKEY The Ava DuverNay disrespect shows a lot of the problems in the bc

ThaEruditious

She luv it over here like Gold Watch.
Daps
Reppin
Nashville/Augusta
I took my little girls to see AWIT.

I didn't like it. But my 7 year old enjoyed it. Mission Accomplished.

I will say as a black father of two black girls, some things bothered me.

No black men at all in the movie. None.
I guess if you count the principal, but that was a small role.

I don't get her rational about not having a black man play the father, because she didn't want another dead beat dad role.

The whole movie centered around a missing dad, and the love his family has for him. The little girl was being brave and courageous because she wants to find her dad.

The most head scratching moment of The movie was how the young white kid kept repeating how much he liked her hair.

I took it as white validation. Maybe that wasn't the purpose, but I wasn't the only one who noticed.

Breh, Ava said this fukk shyt out of her own mouth...

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
Shoot I'm all for black artists shining. Personally I just had 0 interest in seeing that movie after I saw the trailer. Wasn't even about the interracial stuff cause even though I think it is best for black folks to marry each other I don't have any beef with interracial dating (just the c00ns that only date non black women). It was that the movie looked weird and uninteresting

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
I slick regret defending this nikka in one of his other threads now. He's on a clear crusade against "ugly nikkas" for whatever odd reason.

:dame:
"ugly nikkas" = "ashy asss neeegrowes/kangz"
What a faq, echoing bytch sentiments for social clout.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Not taking myself or my daughter to see that... hard pass. All I had to see was "oprah winfrey (known for her effeminization, stereotypical promotion or negative portrayals of black men) and reese withersoon" as top billed cast, that was a straight up nope for me. Doesn't matter if a black woman directed it or not; did not look appealing, subject matter looked sketchy, was of no interest or impact to me. A bad movie is just what it is.. a bad movie, if it's disrespect.. I call it how I see it.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
I find it weird a bunch of grown ass men are debating a movie obviously aimed at young kids or specifically young girls or teenage girls.

This is like a bunch of grown men arguing about seeing/not seeing twilight.

Outside of black people being in the movie, is this even a movie you would be checking for anyways unless you have daughters? :gucci:

No.. it’s more than that, the marketing is for a younger crowd but still has adult content . Not taking my daughter bc it’s not a good look , don’t like the vibe. She saw the previews and was like - whateva. Rather see Paddington 2 lol.

Rack4K

Banned
Daps
Reppin
BK
At the heart of it, people are upset because A Wrinkle In Time depicts an interracial relationship. That’s it. There’s no negative black stereotypes anywhere in the film to be seen and no examples of Ava herself shytting on black men in interviews or anywhere...B bu but it’s a black woman/White man relationship on screen, so outrage.

To me that just makes coli nikkas no different than the intersectional feminists snowflakes on twitter. Opposite side of the same ‘easily triggered’ coin.

My argument is not that Ava is perfect and shouldn’t be criticized for anything...but rather it’s important people look at the whole of who a person is (and what they’ve done) instead of only responding in a knee jerk fashion emotionally to a fraction of a person’s existence, especially one as insignificant as who they decide to cast in a single film. We’re better than that.

MrWestGrand

The Negotiator
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
and an overall disrespect and lack of love for BW and their arts.

I read thru the few threads on AWIT

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/all-the-guilt-trip-marketing-for-%E2%80%9Ca-wrinkle-in-time%E2%80%9D-failed.614977/
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/a-wrinkle-in-time-search-for-white-daddy-and-white-bae.616360/

And reading how some of you nikkas were deadass rooting for her to fail was alarming

some of u hoping she never gets a shot at another big movie

like shes not same woman who made this
Ava-DuVernay-13th-Documentary-Netflix.jpg

Shedding light on an issue that black men go through at an ridiculous rate. Arguably a top 3-5 documentary of all time when you consider its originality, cultural impact, structure, vision? and the sheer amount of truth loaded into in such a short frame of time. She could have used this as a chance to push an agenda about BM violence towards BW or any of that other shyt, but chose not to. Chose to put aside any and all of her agendas to do right by black men. And she gets repaid by disgusting threads like that because some (not all) black men can’t put their Internal struggle aside to support the art of one of the great visionaries of our time. I’m not saying you have to go see that film, im saying u clown ass nikkas using this film and It’s underachievement as vehicle to push your own agendas is flat out disgusting . The words and the vitriol hurled at Her specifically in these threads is unacceptable. Yall always worrying about if someone is fukkin a BW (truthfully because yall see a lot of women in general as sexual objects, including BW) like they are here simply to have ur offspring and be your other half and nothing else. Y’all forget that they are people going thru the other side of white supremacy , and are victims of both racism and sexism. there is no black Male director going out of his way to showcase an issue that is unique to BW. SHe did that. And we should appreciate her and support her if he u dont like the direction of her film and her “white fantasy fetish” even tho she’s showed you thru previous work that she’s everything short of a “c00n”

Some of U nikkas make me sick and And don’t ever forget it.

The haters don’t matter, those who appreciate the art of film making along with the gift of blackness understands Ava wasn’t even suppose to be doing what she’s doing. She started late, and wasn’t even classically trained to be a film maker. Her hair comments were a little too much, but that doesn’t take away from the progress she’s made for both black men and black women behind the camera.

She’s still good in my book.

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
At the heart of it, people are upset because A Wrinkle In Time depicts an interracial relationship. That’s it. There’s no negative black stereotypes anywhere in the film to be seen and no examples of Ava herself shytting on black men in interviews or anywhere...B bu but it’s a black woman/White man relationship on screen, so outrage.

To me that just makes coli nikkas no different than the intersectional feminists snowflakes on twitter. Opposite side of the same ‘easily triggered’ coin.

My argument is not that Ava is perfect and shouldn’t be criticized for anything...but rather it’s important people look at the whole of who a person is (and what they’ve done) instead of only responding in a knee jerk fashion emotionally to a fraction of a person’s existence, especially one as insignificant as who they decide to cast in a single film. We’re better than that.

there is a big difference between not seeing a film and actively sabotaging it like black feminists do.

Rack4K

Banned
Daps
Reppin
BK
there is a big difference between not seeing a film and actively sabotaging it like black feminists do.
And there’s a big difference between not seeing a film and actively spewing hatred at its director like coli dudes do. What’s your point?

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse

:yeshrug:

I just don't wanna see that shyt.

Go and see it multiple time to make up for me not seeing it.

Rack4K

Banned
Daps
Reppin
BK
:yeshrug:

I just don't wanna see that shyt.

Go and see it multiple time to make up for me not seeing it.
I don’t want to see it either. It’s a Disney movie marketed to little girls.

This is not about what people want to see, it’s about how you talk about the movie and it’s director.