LOWKEY The Ava DuverNay disrespect shows a lot of the problems in the bc

Benefited

Banned
Daps
op really trying to go hard and overcompensate. I'm starting to believe maybe he really did get called a c00n at that restaurant,and it has had a profound effect on him.

Barking up the wrong tree though,criticisms of the movie are valid.I dont care how she tries to spin it after the fallout. She fukked up,but you are right about the disrespect. I havent seen enough of her work,but I know I didnt like the MLK cheating in Selma.And I did love the documentary she did. Others have cosigned her strongly as far as having black folks best intentions in mind. Black people are emotional,the backlash ahe has recieved is a product of that. If you are on black womens time lines cussing them out,being vulgar you need to reevaluate that after you calm down. You should go back and apoligize sincerely,and let it be known your reasons for not liking the movie,while showing understanding. This is if you think she is worthy of benefit of the doubt.If you feel even after her other works,she is Stacey Dash reincarnated,carry on. I think I will work up the nerve to apoligize to Chrissete Michelle today.

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
You know what the crazy thing about ya'll saying this is she specifically made the father white because she didn't want to perpetuate that "black father not in their child's life" stereotype. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

Mr. Murray wasn't in his children's lives for an alarming reason: he was working on top level government shyt which sucked him into a world where conformity was prized more than diversity. As soon as he started expanding beyond his own genius, IT froze him. IT wanted to do the same with Charles Wallace, his even more genius son. IT flattered his son, then stiffled his genius for its own purposes.

Instead of worrying about the surface shyt at the beginning of the book, she should have worried about the journey to bring him and Charles Wallace home. In the end, Daddy is home and so is Charles Wallace, through the strength of Family.

Instead we get white daddy, white boyfriend, the importance of white men accepting black hair/beauty, and an adopted Charles Wallace. As often as nikka actors pass as white (Vin, Wentworth, Rashida, Meghan) - Flip son wasn't going to be associated with passing as black or even half black.

Think about it.

They didn't make Daddy Asian, she made him White. And then she divorced the most important member of the family from the family through adoption, subverting everything in the books.

But I guess Asian super genius stereotypes are as bad as missing black fathers, so stick white daddy boyfriend in.

Whatever movie it is in retrospect a couple years from now, when folks have time to reflect, it's not the movie to follow up Black Panther. It's a Black Cinderella with Brandy style movie, without the balls to cast Asian in more roles.

Black Nate Grey

The God Emperor of Mankind
Daps
What incentive is there for black men to watch the movie? White father, white male love interest.

What specific thing about the movie is going to attract black people? Aside from feminists/shea butter twitter? The action? Chracters? Setting? Plot?

It wasn't made for us to go watch and enjoy in mind, and like I said before, white girls don't want to watch a black girl lead in Sci-girls/fantasy movies. It ruins the feeling of being a 'self-insert' and immersion for them. Should have just kept all of the chracters white, instead of trying to shoehorn in an agenda like "white boy following a black girl's lead is soooooo empowering". Or whatever the fukk Ava said.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
At the heart of it, people are upset because A Wrinkle In Time depicts an interracial relationship. That’s it. There’s no negative black stereotypes anywhere in the film to be seen and no examples of Ava herself shytting on black men in interviews or anywhere...B bu but it’s a black woman/White man relationship on screen, so outrage.

To me that just makes coli nikkas no different than the intersectional feminists snowflakes on twitter. Opposite side of the same ‘easily triggered’ coin.

My argument is not that Ava is perfect and shouldn’t be criticized for anything...but rather it’s important people look at the whole of who a person is (and what they’ve done) instead of only responding in a knee jerk fashion emotionally to a fraction of a person’s existence, especially one as insignificant as who they decide to cast in a single film. We’re better than that.
at the end of the day, i'm a black man and i like to see myself represented in films like everyone else. You can try to make up any myriad of reasons why that's wrong but it won't get me to purchase tickets. There is no compromise here, you either represent me or you don't. There no such thing as close enough.

Moreover, Interracial relationships aren't offensive to us either, they're just totally over-represented in films compared to black on black relationships. I don't think I've ever seen Zoe Zaldana in a non interracial relationship in a film. The last time I saw Halle Berry in a relationship with a black person in a film was before the 21st century. We've seen and supported countless interracial relationship movies. The problem isn't interracial relationships, the problem is the fact homogeneous black relationships are largely omitted from the traditional Hollywood narrative. Name one big budget movie that isn't about slavery or racism that has a black couple in it outside of Black Panther? You can't.

Cabbage Patch

Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
Wasn't the dad a respected scientist who got teleported due to a freak science experiment? :beli:

Sounds like an excuse to bedwench but ok :ehh:
Yes, he was.

Be afraid of missing black father stereotypes so much you erase black men completely. How does that make any sense??!

Pops, Calvin, Sandy, Denys -- all white. Not even mixed like Meg. Get the fukk out of here. :stopitslime:

She's using the DS9 excuse without recognizing why Avery Brooks arguement not to have Sisko leave Jake, and his pregnant pilot lady forever had teeth. The wormhole aliens were beyond space and time anyway.

I'm hoping there was behind the scene meddling.

They really, really should have cast an Asian father, and then biracial brothers (with white or Asian), and a blasian boyfriend. The Charles Wallace adoption .... :snoop:

Cabbage Patch

Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
There was more than one male role in the film. What is the reasoning for other one being white?
There was plenty of room in the film for a black male. The fact that only part she even considered for a black guy was the deadbeat dad, speaks volumes actually.
Is that on Ava, Oprah or both?

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
What incentive is there for black men to watch the movie? White father, white male love interest.

What specific thing about the movie is going to attract black people? Aside from feminists/shea butter twitter? The action? Chracters? Setting? Plot?

It wasn't made for us to go watch and enjoy in mind, and like I said before, white girls don't want to watch a black girl lead in Sci-girls/fantasy movies. It ruins the feeling of being a 'self-insert' and immersion for them. Should have just kept all of the chracters white, instead of trying to shoehorn in an agenda like "white boy following a black girl's lead is soooooo empowering". Or whatever the fukk Ava said.
I guess the incentive would be supporting the first black female director to helm a 100 million dollar film, who just so happened to direct a documentary attacking a topic that directly benefits black men, and one that no other director wanted a piece of

Gravity

Banned
Daps
At the heart of it, people are upset because A Wrinkle In Time depicts an interracial relationship. That’s it.
Shut up. People have made it more than clear that the main objection to this movie is that she deliberately put things in the movie to illustrate black female acceptance from white males because she thought it was important for black females to see. That’s something that she said out of her own mouth. Yet you run your bytchass in here and try to make it about something else.

Black Nate Grey

The God Emperor of Mankind
Daps
I guess the incentive would be supporting the first black female director to helm a 100 million dollar film, who just so happened to direct a documentary attacking a topic that directly benefits black men, and one that no other director wanted a piece of
So we must just blindly support her? Subject matter and content has no bearing on the decision? That's a ridiculous foolish point of view.

I don't give a fukk if her budget was $500 million dollars, if the content is suspect, I'm not supporting it.

Especially post Black Panther, these Black directors have no more excuse to c00n or put out things like slave movies. Or anything else with a suspect message.

We'll see what she does with New Gods. I'm not excited though unless she knows and respects the source material and doesn't try to insert any dumb agenda into it. I doubt her ego will let her though.

Thank Bast she didn't do Black Panther.

Daps
and an overall disrespect and lack of love for BW and their arts.

I read thru the few threads on AWIT

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/all-the-guilt-trip-marketing-for-%E2%80%9Ca-wrinkle-in-time%E2%80%9D-failed.614977/
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/a-wrinkle-in-time-search-for-white-daddy-and-white-bae.616360/

And reading how some of you nikkas were deadass rooting for her to fail was alarming

some of u hoping she never gets a shot at another big movie

like shes not same woman who made this
Ava-DuVernay-13th-Documentary-Netflix.jpg

Shedding light on an issue that black men go through at an ridiculous rate. Arguably a top 3-5 documentary of all time when you consider its originality, cultural impact, structure, vision? and the sheer amount of truth loaded into in such a short frame of time. She could have used this as a chance to push an agenda about BM violence towards BW or any of that other shyt, but chose not to. Chose to put aside any and all of her agendas to do right by black men. And she gets repaid by disgusting threads like that because some (not all) black men can’t put their Internal struggle aside to support the art of one of the great visionaries of our time. I’m not saying you have to go see that film, im saying u clown ass nikkas using this film and It’s underachievement as vehicle to push your own agendas is flat out disgusting . The words and the vitriol hurled at Her specifically in these threads is unacceptable. Yall always worrying about if someone is fukkin a BW (truthfully because yall see a lot of women in general as sexual objects, including BW) like they are here simply to have ur offspring and be your other half and nothing else. Y’all forget that they are people going thru the other side of white supremacy , and are victims of both racism and sexism. there is no black Male director going out of his way to showcase an issue that is unique to BW. SHe did that. And we should appreciate her and support her if he u dont like the direction of her film and her “white fantasy fetish” even tho she’s showed you thru previous work that she’s everything short of a “c00n”

Some of U nikkas make me sick and And don’t ever forget it.

Nobody is above reproach. That she made a documentary detailing the ongoing enslavement of black people, while entirely commendable and necessary, does nothing to excuse her pushing an anti-black male agenda in subsequent movies she's made. Nobody is celebrating her failure as a director on artistic merit. What they're criticizing is a clear agenda, one she openly boasted of pushing, to attack black people and prop up biracials. :francis: