Lets put the whole "starting a business is the best/jobs are always for suckers" lie

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would never shyt on someone doing a 9-5 because I think it takes mental guts to get up everyday to do a job you might not necessarily like... I can fully admit Ive tried and I couldnt do it...... more power to them

Yep, I agree. But the 9-5 thing isn't so bad if you like what you do. Otherwise, it becomes a burdon. Like dude said below...

Fear and lack of planning is what keeps people that don't want to be in Corporate America, in Corporate America. I have a phase out plan in the works now and w/i 3 years I can be out for good.

...most people hate corporate america because they are doing something they don't like. They make enough money to keep things going, but they dread just like me. My plan has been laid out, I just have to properly excecute it.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What is so bad about being in corporate America???

It's not bad for everyone but it does not work for me personally. It's mundane and monotonous. There is too much red tape to get actual change done. Even if I didn't go into business for myself, I wouldn't work at a company with more than 100 employees ever again.

I like being able to see the actual change based on the hard work I put in. Say I spend a work day working on a project and I submit it. That's just a task completed and probably not going to affect the bottom line of the company much at all. If I spend the same 8 hours trying to find people that like bagels in the afternoon, I can see the efforts of that labor by how many customers I gain.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
For some reason, There's alot of people who would rather be a "boss" and make 45,000 then be an employee and make 80,000

The Nigerian

The Realest Member of TheColi
Daps
Reppin
All The Way One Hunnid
Good for you. I dont need to have people under me or to "be my own boss" to feel good about myself. All I care about is getting paid. All that "being an employee is for slaves" talk is just that... talk.

Dignity before bread. Freedom over everything. Ownership.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I walked out on a well paying job in my lunchbreak...it wasnt planned.... I just knew it wasnt for me, I went on to be a fraudster for a couple of years and then after almost ending up in prison I ended up opening a club.....

sometimes you cant plan for the future

Good shyt. This is my 3rd stint in Corporate America.

First time like you, I walked out during lunch.

2nd time, I was fired for being outspoken. I told my manager he was out of touch with the technological needs of our department. Fired my black ass w/i the week.

This time around I'm working as a contractor with no plans of being a full-time employee. I like knowing that I can dip when I want with no strings attached. I plan on doing this until I can stack some bread. I have a daughter to look after but if it was me I would have dipped the first week I was here.

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
Right now I'm all about Networking. I have a nice lil job in Corporate america

But I plan on having my own business by the time I'm 40, but for now I'm stacking my lil chips and building my network so when it time to get started I already will know the right people who will help me get stuff done.

So I don't knock either path. I don't mind working for someone else for a living if I'm getting paid correctly. But I really want to start a business for my fam so we can havin something to pass down, keep the money in fam and start a legacy. It might not work out that way but I gotta at least give it a try :manny:

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For some reason, There's alot of people who would rather be a "boss" and make 45,000 then be an employee and make 80,000

I can only speak for myself but for me it was about freedom, not about making a ton of money.... I didnt necessarily want to be a "boss" I just knew I didnt want to work for someone else.... It was a big shock to me personally when I realised I wasnt built of it because I didnt plan for anything else

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
YOU don't want bagels at 3 in the afternoon. In this situation as a business owner if I would limit myself to people that thought like you, then I wouldn't be in business. But *gasp* there are people that don't think like you. Those would be who I would focus on.

Naw people don't. If they did there would be more shops selling bagels that didn't open at 7AM. Lot of bagel shops in NYC. I haven't seen any that open up at noon.

It's not bad for everyone but it does not work for me personally. It's mundane and monotonous. There is too much red tape to get actual change done. Even if I didn't go into business for myself, I wouldn't work at a company with more than 100 employees ever again.

I like being able to see the actual change based on the hard work I put in. Say I spend a work day working on a project and I submit it. That's just a task completed and probably not going to affect the bottom line of the company much at all. If I spend the same 8 hours trying to find people that like bagels in the afternoon, I can see the efforts of that labor by how many customers I gain.

I feel you on the monotony + anonymity of the corporate environment. I left a small company to come to my job now and I really regret it. It was a bad mistake. Still though, my boss loves it. He fights and scraps and basically got his own department + runs his own projects. So its not a one size fits all either way.

I think its a mistake to find self worth or w/e in your job though. I mean it is good. But I would rather be making $100K as a "slave" than $50K doing shyt that makes me feel good. I can do the stuff that makes me feel good when I'm not working, and have more freedom to do it how I want and when I want.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Naw people don't. If they did there would be more shops selling bagels that didn't open at 7AM. Lot of bagel shops in NYC. I haven't seen any that open up at noon.

I feel you on the monotony + anonymity of the corporate environment. I left a small company to come to my job now and I really regret it. It was a bad mistake. Still though, my boss loves it. He fights and scraps and basically got his own department + runs his own projects. So its not a one size fits all either way.

I think its a mistake to find self worth or w/e in your job though. I mean it is good. But I would rather be making $100K as a "slave" than $50K doing shyt that makes me feel good. I can do the stuff that makes me feel good when I'm not working, and have more freedom to do it how I want and when I want.

Well this is why I want to stack my bread up and get a nice emergency fund in place. That way I can get part of my salary from that and the other part from my business. I can still live a decent lifestyle but not HAVE to do a typical 9-5. I know I'm still going to have to put time into my business but I can see the direct results of that labor.

ComputersPutin

All Star
Daps
If you choose to open a bagel shop that competes with someone else, then yes you'll have to compete with their hours/prices. However if you open your business to be a mid-day bagel shop and focus on the group of people that may want bagels in the middle of the day or in the evening then you focus on that. You create your own customer base and Bagel shop A can still eat off their customers. Again, you can customize your business to fit your needs, if it's something you want to do.

open-uri20120517-1-ubfogx

Nobody chooses to compete, its inevitable. Did supply and demand disappear all of a sudden?

But more so on the topic, there are pros and cons to both. Its a ton of variables to factor in, and both sides are not for everyone. I have seen the books and records of alot of businesses and everybody ain't eating good :wow:

And the end of the day a person has to measure their Cost-Benefit of their personal situation. So I don't knock anyone that chooses to do either.

Now back to plotting I go. :leostare:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
The Working Man - GoodBye Uncle Tom - YouTube

Dignity before bread. Freedom over everything. Ownership.
Again, I am consulting on the side + transitioning towards completely doing my own thing. Even w/my job now, I could quit today and be OK. There was a couple of weeks not too long ago where I was getting a call pretty much daily about a new job. I left my last 2 jobs on my own terms, and will leave this one that way too. So I'm free. Just using the corporate realm to position myself. So far so good.

All these platitudes of independence and ownership... if it were a choice between starving and working for someone else we all know what choice you would make. You made the choice before.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
open-uri20120517-1-ubfogx

Nobody chooses to compete, its inevitable. Did supply and demand disappear all of a sudden?

But more so on the topic, there are pros and cons to both. Its a ton of variables to factor in, and both sides are not for everyone. I have seen the books and records of alot of businesses and everybody ain't eating good :wow:

And the end of the day a person has to measure their Cost-Benefit of their personal situation. So I don't knock anyone that chooses to do either.

Now back to plotting I go. :leostare:

I was talking specifics. In the case of this bagel shop I can choose not to operate the same hours as Bagel shop A.

ComputersPutin

All Star
Daps
I was talking specifics. In the case of this bagel shop I can choose not to operate the same hours as Bagel shop A.

True but you are sill in competition, because you are now battling for the customers during the few hours of operation that ya'll share. Your service and product will also be in competition against the other shop to get a customer base that would like what you have to offer enough to not just go to the shop with more availability. You can't avoid competition...