Lets put the whole "starting a business is the best/jobs are always for suckers" lie

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
But my managers still bothering me about complete bull shyt that is irrelevant, then when I get an attitude, they tell me dont be a Terrel Owens or Allen Iverson. They were cancers to their team, right?! Im like :dwillhuh: Why wouldnt I wanna be arguably the 2nd or 3rd best receiver of all time? Why wouldnt I wanna be one of the best players at my position of all time?!

:pachaha: If my manager said this to me I'd start laughin for real

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
Back in my tennis days we had an acronym that describes that post you quoted: CLT.

C lassic
L oser
T alk

My business is going nuts. I literally have to tell people to wait for me to catch up with my demand. In less than a week I've been able to accomplish so many steps. Right now, I'm just getting everything ready to go to the SBA for my first big loan.

Being your own boss is :ahh:

Having people work for you is :ahh:

What do you do?

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Back in my tennis days we had an acronym that describes that post you quoted: CLT.

C lassic
L oser
T alk

My business is going nuts. I literally have to tell people to wait for me to catch up with my demand. In less than a week I've been able to accomplish so many steps. Right now, I'm just getting everything ready to go to the SBA for my first big loan.

Being your own boss is :ahh:

Having people work for you is :ahh:

Good for you. I dont need to have people under me or to "be my own boss" to feel good about myself. All I care about is getting paid. All that "being an employee is for slaves" talk is just that... talk. I'm getting "slave" money AND independent freelance dough. Why limit yourself to one type of income?

If you choose to open a bagel shop that competes with someone else, then yes you'll have to compete with their hours/prices. However if you open your business to be a mid-day bagel shop and focus on the group of people that may want bagels in the middle of the day or in the evening then you focus on that. You create your own customer base and Bagel shop A can still eat off their customers. Again, you can customize your business to fit your needs, if it's something you want to do.

The dude who opens his bagel shop in the morning can keep his shop open during your time. Not to mention, you will ahve all the same overheads as him, but be missing out on the prime business hours your competitors are capitalizing on. So you get all the headaches w/none of the upsides. There is def a lot of slack/inefficiency in the business world, but successful businesses operate around what their customers want, not what is most convenient. If you are going into business because you think it will be more convenient you are going to fail.

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ive run my own business.... one is not better than the other

chances are when you are running your own business you will be working a lot damn harder than if you had a 9-5 ....not everyone is built for it

not having a regular income.... a lot of times you are earning a lot less because youre trying to plough your money into keeping the business running.... you have to sacrifice like crazy

Im personally not built for a 9-5 working for someone else , but a lot of people aint built to be business owners....

both have positives and negatives.... one isnt better than the other

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
Really

Steve Jobs didnt get rich working for Apple?

NBA stars don't get rich playing for teams they don't own?

Doctors don't get rich working for hospitals?

Mitt Romney didn't get rich working for Bain Capital?

Steve Jobs and Mitt Romney were both co-founders of their respective companies so it seems that those two examples counter your own point mate. Furthermore, your other two examples only apply to a small percentage of the general population (which, ironically, is the point your making about successful business owners), you know those who have enough talent/education/natural ability to demand top salaries for their skill set.

And even then, I'm not sure Doctors count. Quite a few doctors are financially well off but I wouldn't classify them as "rich."

Are we just talking finances here, or?

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The dude who opens his bagel shop in the morning can keep his shop open during your time. Not to mention, you will ahve all the same overheads as him, but be missing out on the prime business hours your competitors are capitalizing on. So you get all the headaches w/none of the upsides. There is def a lot of slack/inefficiency in the business world, but successful businesses operate around what their customers want, not what is most convenient. If you are going into business because you think it will be more convenient you are going to fail.

If he's going to extend hisself with longer business hours just to grab up my customers, then let him. He has to extend his hours, his merchandise and his labor just to keep up with me.

BlvdBrawler

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ive run my own business.... one is not better than the other

chances are when you are running your own business you will be working a lot damn harder than if you had a 9-5 ....not everyone is built for it

not having a regular income.... a lot of times you are earning a lot less because youre trying to plough your money into keeping the business running.... you have to sacrifice like crazy

Im personally not built for a 9-5 working for someone else , but a lot of people aint built to be business owners....

both have positives and negatives.... one isnt better than the other

I hear this a lot.

Some of my business-owner friends love it. Some don't.
Some of my friends who work for large corporations love it. Some don't.

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not always about just opening your own business. There are still extreme stress levels involved.

To me, it's about doing something you have a passion for. Not everyone can be an actor or an athlete, but there are other things you can be passionate about.

I personally had enough of the corporate world. I'm done. I'm in sales and I dread it. I make good money too, but I can't do this for the rest of my life.

I have an affinity for computers and technology and that's what I'm shooting for. So a career change for me.

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Carné Asada;3183581 said:
It's not always about just opening your own business. There are still extreme stress levels involved.

To me, it's about doing something you have a passion for. Not everyone can be an actor or an athlete, but there are other things you can be passionate about.

I personally had enough of the corporate world. I'm done. I'm in sales and I dread it. I make good money too, but I can't do this for the rest of my life.

I have an affinity for computers and technology and that's what I'm shooting for. So a career change for me.

I would never shyt on someone doing a 9-5 because I think it takes mental guts to get up everyday to do a job you might not necessarily like... I can fully admit Ive tried and I couldnt do it...... more power to them

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Steve Jobs and Mitt Romney were both co-founders of their respective companies so it seems that those two examples counter your own point mate. Furthermore, your other two examples only apply to a small percentage of the general population (which, ironically, is the point your making about successful business owners), you know those who have enough talent/education/natural ability to demand top salaries for their skill set.

And even then, I'm not sure Doctors count. Quite a few doctors are financially well off but I wouldn't classify them as "rich."

Are we just talking finances here, or?

Mitt Romney was offered the opportunity to be a founding partner by Bill Bain. He didn't start it from scratch. He was basically employed by Bill Bain.

As far as doctors not being rich :mjpls: lowest avg salary is $156K. I am not speaking for doctors' financial habits. But $156K/yr is pretty much a ticket to wealth + prosperity anywhere in the country. If that's not rich nobody is rich.

If he's going to extend hisself with longer business hours just to grab up my customers, then let him. He has to extend his hours, his merchandise and his labor just to keep up with me.

Hes gonna put you out of business. Pretty much nobody wants bagels at 3 in the afternoon

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I would never shyt on someone doing a 9-5 because I think it takes mental guts to get up everyday to do a job you might not necessarily like... I can fully admit Ive tried and I couldnt do it...... more power to them

Fear and lack of planning is what keeps people that don't want to be in Corporate America, in Corporate America. I have a phase out plan in the works now and w/i 3 years I can be out for good.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Mitt Romney was offered the opportunity to be a founding partner by Bill Bain. He didn't start it from scratch. He was basically employed by Bill Bain.

As far as doctors not being rich :mjpls: lowest avg salary is $156K. I am not speaking for doctors' financial habits. But $156K/yr is pretty much a ticket to wealth + prosperity anywhere in the country. If that's not rich nobody is rich.

Hes gonna put you out of business. Pretty much nobody wants bagels at 3 in the afternoon

YOU don't want bagels at 3 in the afternoon. In this situation as a business owner if I would limit myself to people that thought like you, then I wouldn't be in business. But *gasp* there are people that don't think like you. Those would be who I would focus on.

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Fear and lack of planning is what keeps people that don't want to be in Corporate America, in Corporate America. I have a phase out plan in the works now and w/i 3 years I can be out for good.

I walked out on a well paying job in my lunchbreak...it wasnt planned.... I just knew it wasnt for me, I went on to be a fraudster for a couple of years and then after almost ending up in prison I ended up opening a club.....

sometimes you cant plan for the future