Lets put the whole "starting a business is the best/jobs are always for suckers" lie

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
For some reason, There's alot of people who would rather be a "boss" and make 45,000 then be an employee and make 80,000

Exactly. Most small business owners aren't making much money, and most small businesses fail. But you can get a degree and some experience and guarantee yourself a job and good money for life.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
True but you are sill in competition, because you are now battling for the customers during the few hours of operation that ya'll share. Your service and product will also be in competition against the other shop to get a customer base that would like what you have to offer enough to not just go to the shop with more availability. You can't avoid competition...

I get what you're saying intentional vs unintentional competition.

The Nigerian

The Realest Member of TheColi
Daps
Reppin
All The Way One Hunnid
Again, I am consulting on the side + transitioning towards completely doing my own thing. Even w/my job now, I could quit today and be OK. There was a couple of weeks not too long ago where I was getting a call pretty much daily about a new job. I left my last 2 jobs on my own terms, and will leave this one that way too. So I'm free. Just using the corporate realm to position myself. So far so good.

All these platitudes of independence and ownership... if it were a choice between starving and working for someone else we all know what choice you would make. You made the choice before.
Since I've started this I've gotten two consulting gigs and I have more money than I've ever had in my entire life. Not only that, but I have freedom. I spend my days as I wish and I'm happy.

It beats busting my ass for the approval of some sh!thead with a vanity title. Living under the constant threat of a PIP or a meeting with HR. No bullsh!t conversations about the weather, network TV, or sports. No Chatty Cathy's yammering on about their gluten free diets. Ugh. All that nonsense to get taxed at 50% and told that despite beating your number, you're still not qualified for the promotion. Fvck that.

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Since I've started this I've gotten two consulting gigs and I have more money than I've ever had in my entire life. Not only that, but I have freedom. I spend my days as I wish and I'm happy.

It beats busting my ass for the approval of some sh!thead with a vanity title. Living under the constant threat of a PIP or a meeting with HR. No bullsh!t conversations about the weather, network TV, or sports. No Chatty Cathy's yammering on about their gluten free diets. Ugh. All that nonsense to get taxed at 50% and told that despite beating your number, you're still not qualified for the promotion. Fvck that.

What do you do breh?

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
In the next few years I want to be who @john goodman pretends to be online, a hustler. I have a job and a side hustle which is doing pretty good right now, not sure about being a 'business owner' but there is a lot of easy money out there to be made just by being creative.

Last edited by a moderator:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
For some reason, There's alot of people who would rather be a "boss" and make 45,000 then be an employee and make 80,000

sign me up for the employee role :salute:

I like living with the guarunteed income and stress free days that comes from working at a corporation.

I dont make six figures, but I only have to come to the office 4 days a week, and I got my own bathroom at the gig to shyt in as I please.

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
Mitt Romney was offered the opportunity to be a founding partner by Bill Bain. He didn't start it from scratch. He was basically employed by Bill Bain.

As far as doctors not being rich :mjpls: lowest avg salary is $156K. I am not speaking for doctors' financial habits. But $156K/yr is pretty much a ticket to wealth + prosperity anywhere in the country. If that's not rich nobody is rich.

Not sure if you read my post correctly. Mitt Romney falls into the rare category of exceptional individuals who have the ability to demand top salaries and positions within an organization...and even then, he still broke out.

Mitt grew up the son of a Governor, went to the a top boarding school, graduated from BYU and obtained an MBA from Harvard. At this level, you can essentially create your own legacy in any number of endeavors. He is exceptional whether by legacy, or by drive/intellect.

Point is, providing examples of exceptional individuals who have thrived within certain institutions does not help prove your point that this path provides a better way of life than working outside of an institution. You're essentially employing the exact same logic that you're arguing against, namely that most startups fail and only the really exceptional/lucky thrive. You're countering a one-in-a-million shot with a one-in-a-million shot.

I guess that begs the question, what is your point? :shaq2:

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man that article has me angry

Theres always some $200 Primerica entrepreneur screaming about how "working is for suckers" yadda yadda

I say buying blindly into another man's ideology or running away from something because you are unable to admit why you failed at it is the real sucker move

Theres always the same lies told

"At a job your income is limited" no dikkface. You can still have side gigs. You can still have investments. Within the job, many people get promoted over time. If you are good at what you do you can get promotions, and if theres no room to grow in the company if you are valuable you can always leave for higher pay.

"You are just making the next man rich" yes and building your own wealth in the process. You take a worker whose salary is $100K or an "entrepreneur" who made $50K. At the end of the year who has more money???

"When you start a business you are your own boss" Maybe but probably not. Really when you start a business, odds are your customers become your bosses. So you scramble to get business from these motherfukkers, only to have to relearn and adapt to their quirks and issues over and over again, whereas with 1 boss you build a relationship and keep pushing

"Your company can get rid of you at any moment" Most businesses fail. At least if I get fired all I lose is a paycheck. If my business goes under I can lose everything I invested into it as well, and all the people working for me lose their means as well

I am not saying starting a business is all bad. I am trying to do it myself :pachaha: But you have to have a plan + idea. If you want to start a business because you hate your job, :stop: and ask yourself WHY you hate your job and what you can do to make it better. Quitting a corporate gig to sell Italian Ices because your boss annoyed you once is the height of stupidity :mindblown: You need to have a plan, which a business OR a job can be a part of

And no matter what you do, if you're lazy and unable to accept responsibility, you will fail, "entrepreneur" or not

:whatever: Another champion for corporate droneship I see

:whoa: The major problem most entreprenuers/biz owners is they lack scale/magnitude in their businesses.

Jobs aren't guaranteed, if your firm lays off your division or your skills become obsolete - you have to go back to school, get more debt so you can return to working for some else
hip_hop_50_cent_serious_serious_20120419_1900958.png

The rewards of business far outway having a job ... Unless you are high commission salesman or private equity/hedge fund manager earnings millions from a job is almost impossible :birdman:

Customers become your bosses? Depends on the product/service sold. :birdman:

What I like about business is having other people working 30-40 hours a week, doing exactly what I say, following my policies and answering to my PA...while I do nothing but read, workout, bullsh!t on here, travel, talk to investors, network etc....

I can even turn down their requests for a raise
hiphop_ludacris_amused_20120419_1522668768.png

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
sign me up for the employee role :salute:

I like living with the guarunteed income and stress free days that comes from working at a corporation.

I dont make six figures, but I only have to come to the office 4 days a week, and I got my own bathroom at the gig to shyt in as I please.

That George Costanza life. :jawalrus:

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
:whatever: Another champion for corporate droneship I see

:whoa: The major problem most entreprenuers/biz owners is they lack scale/magnitude in their businesses.

Jobs aren't guaranteed, if your firm lays off your division or your skills become obsolete - you have to go back to school, get more debt so you can return to working for some else:whoa:

:what: The rewards of business far outway having a job ... Unless you are high commission salesman or private equity/hedge fund manager earnings millions from a job is a a little :ld:

:what: Customers become your bosses? Depends on the product/service sold.

What I like about business is having other people working 30-40 hours a week, doing exactly what I say, following my policies and answering to my PA...while I do nothing but read, workout, bullsh!t on here, travel etc :obama:

Posts like this make it hard to take the threads here seriously.

Who are you and what do you do?