Leo Messi about to break the most liked IG post record

concise

Veteran
Daps
The origins of the term football comes from games played on the ground and games played on horseback. Rugby, soccer, anything played on the ground was football. The individual designation comes from when it was organized. Soccer comes from the shortening of association soccer. This was what “football” was called officially until the 20th century. That’s why countries colonized by the British, Ireland, Australia, South Africa and America call it soccer. Hell I’m in Japan and they call it Sokka.

The term football has nothing to do with the shape of the ball or way the games played.

Also, all those games literally evolved from each other. :heh:

GilSho

Veteran
Daps
Like this hack (he’s British but he’s one of those spastic Brits the beg America on that news rag, Dailymail) below:

This clown said, “Tom Brady & Wayne Gretzky”? :russ:

Marcus Rashford had more followers on Instagram than Brady & Gretzky combined. And Brady married a very famous supermodel.

I don’t even think David Beckham is a football legend (I won’t even put him on the list of top-10 GOAT English footballers ever) - he’s more famous for his looks & superstar wife than his footballing talent. But he’s everything Tom Brady wanted to be but couldn’t in terms of global notoriety.

Only Ali & maybe Jordan can be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Pele, Maradona, Messi & Ronaldo.

Pele was the first global icon in sports that Kings, Queens & Presidents were queuing up to see from like 1958 when he became a superstar at the World Cup. That’s how powerful football has always been.

I'm pretty sure that tweet was specifically at their dominance towards their respective sports not their popularity rankings breh

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
What's funny is soccer is seen as a rich kid sport, but is probably casually the cheapest sport to play and requires the least amount of equipment.

Plus most of the population is under 6' which is pretty much an advantage in the sport.

Blame America's goofy ass suburban culture and willingness to freeze out black/brown kids. Not "soccer is lame"

In virtually every other nation on earth, besides Canada, kids of all economic levels play soccer. Poor kids doubly so.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
I definitely enjoyed the game yesterday but only saw the US matches like I'm sure most Americans. I'm just excited for the cup to be over cuz hopefully all this soccer vs football talk will die down until the next world cup. I respect the numbers and fans that soccer like the Premier League does around the world as well as what the nfl does. But neither one or any league pays me so this comparison between the two seems irrelevant. Enjoy what you like. I enjoyed seeing Messi and Mbappe yesterday but not like I'll become a die hard soccer fan now. Soccer isn't even a sport in Argentina, it's their culture and way of life. I don't think they have any other sports over there and haven't won since 86. Not surprised the post may set the record.

Stick Up Kid

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
Reppin
Newark NJ
I remember seeing Twitter babble claiming Beyonce, Drake, LeBron etc are as popular as Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar :mjlol:

These elite futbol players are in another stratosphere entirely when it comes to fame. The only athlete remotely in the same ballpark when it comes to popularity was Ali.

Uhh how u forgettin Michael Jordan :gucci:

Mister Terrific

It’s in the name
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Also, all those games literally evolved from each other. :heh:
Yeah there was very little difference between football and rugby. You would kick the ball up the field and charge up the field in a big group and beat the shyt out of the other team and eventually the ball would go into the goal. Eventually working class factory guys figured out they could kick the ball and pass around the bigger healthier rich kids. That’s pretty much where the sport really began to its modern form.

Hell one of the early rules of America football was you could pick the guy up carrying the ball and use him as a battering ram :pachaha: