Leo Messi about to break the most liked IG post record

Mister Terrific

It’s in the name
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I remember American sports writers saying "Soccer isn't a skilled sport" :mjlol: :mjlol: :mjlol:

Jealous because Football (The real football) is the most popular sport in the world, and the US sucks at it
As a soccer fan I always think that anyone that says shyt like “real football” and the USA sucks at it are the biggest non-soccer watching goofies.

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
I remember American sports writers saying "Soccer isn't a skilled sport" :mjlol: :mjlol: :mjlol:

Jealous because Football (The real football) is the most popular sport in the world, and the US sucks at it

Like this hack (he’s British but he’s one of those spastic Brits the beg America on that news rag, Dailymail) below:

This clown said, “Tom Brady & Wayne Gretzky”? :russ:

Marcus Rashford had more followers on Instagram than Brady & Gretzky combined. And Brady married a very famous supermodel.

I don’t even think David Beckham is a football legend (I won’t even put him on the list of top-10 GOAT English footballers ever) - he’s more famous for his looks & superstar wife than his footballing talent. But he’s everything Tom Brady wanted to be but couldn’t in terms of global notoriety.

Only Ali & maybe Jordan can be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Pele, Maradona, Messi & Ronaldo.

Pele was the first global icon in sports that Kings, Queens & Presidents were queuing up to see from like 1958 when he became a superstar at the World Cup. That’s how powerful football has always been.

br82186

Superstar
Daps
Winners of the superbowl are called World champions. Comparison upheld :ufdup:
High key that world champion moniker needs to end because you're just league champions.

Basketball, Baseball, Rugby, Soccer, Cricket, and Hockey has that luxury because they have tournaments that consist of other teams from other countries.

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
As a soccer fan I always think that anyone that says shyt like “real football” and the USA sucks at it are the biggest non-soccer watching goofies.

But it’s real football tho cos you play it with your football. English language isn’t that complicated.

An egg shaped ball that you throw around & catch should be called, “eggball”. Just cos Americans like b*stardising English language, that doesn’t make it right. The etymology is wrong.

That said, Americans are improving & they have a solid young core that should do well in 2026 with home advantage if they can keep them together. They just need a good striker. But if they can get Folarin Balogun to play for them since he was born in Brooklyn (he plays for England’s youth team now but he said he’s interested in playing for Nigeria) - that would be a plus.

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
I remember seeing Twitter babble claiming Beyonce, Drake, LeBron etc are as popular as Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar :mjlol:

These elite futbol players are in another stratosphere entirely when it comes to fame. The only athlete remotely in the same ballpark when it comes to popularity was Ali.
If they aren't popular in America, Americans think they are nobodies

Mister Terrific

It’s in the name
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
But it’s real football tho cos you play it with your football. English language isn’t that complicated.

An egg shaped ball that you throw around & catch should be called, “eggball”. Just cos Americans like b*stardising English language, that doesn’t make it right. The etymology is wrong.

That said, Americans are improving & they have a solid young core that should do well in 2026 with home advantage if they can keep them together. They just need a good striker. But if they can get Folarin Balogun to play for them since he was born in Brooklyn (he plays for England’s youth team now but he said he’s interested in playing for Nigeria) - that would be a plus.
The origins of the term football comes from games played on the ground and games played on horseback. Rugby, soccer, anything played on the ground was football. The individual designation comes from when it was organized. Soccer comes from the shortening of association soccer. This was what “football” was called officially until the 20th century. That’s why countries colonized by the British, Ireland, Australia, South Africa and America call it soccer. Hell I’m in Japan and they call it Sokka.

The term football has nothing to do with the shape of the ball or way the games played.