Just saw 12 Years a Slave

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just watched this in London in an arty cinema. A group of 8 of us went (all black) and including us there were a total of 15 black people in there. Audience was predominantly old white people or young hippy white people...... Never known a film to draw such a reaction from the audience. Found myself clenching my fist during the film.

At the end the 8 of us were stood in silence getting ready to go, all the white people walking past were looking out the corner of their eye trying to gauge our reaction to the film, when you look them right in the face they look away :laugh:

Came home and went through this whole damn thread

Thought it was a great film, truly moved me. Fukk all you self hating sambo c00ns saying otherwise

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
SMH @ all the people that gave Django praise and it got that Big Box Office but they completely skipped what I feel is the greatest film on Slavery. And Finally it was done by a Black Man. Hollywood finally let the people that was enslaved get behind the lense and tell our story. It was also written by a Black Man in John Reily. The movie was beyond phenominal. I loved that he picked this slave story to tell. An Intelligent Free Man in the North who would could read and write and heat of the Slavery movement in America. Fassbender was spectacular. Now that was a Slave Master, (Leo Take Notes), I liked Leo in Django but the more we get away from the film the more cartoony and unrealistic it becomes

Chiwetel Ejiofor better win Best Actor, he gave 100% of himself. You were with him the whole way. Lupita Nyong'o was just too good, you felt her pain all the way. . This was by far one of the realist protrayls of slavery I've ever seen. Mcqueen film skills are so on point. The Editing, The Action, the scenes. I'm a so sick at how ROBBED it got at the Golden Globes. Best Picture but what about writing? Acting? My only complaint was how they made Brad Pitt the White Savior but a white man did help him get out of that hell. Also Brad folked over the money to make the film which is why he's a producer so I let it slide since he got this amazing story to the Big Screen.

This movie touched me deeply. As everyone knows I was critical of QT and Django (Check out my Thread in the Raffters Spike Goes in on Django http://www.thecoli.com/threads/spike-lee-goes-in-django-is-disrespectful-to-my-ancestors.71846/ ) cause I felt QT didn't really hit at the heart of Slavery and make you feel it. Sure they are different films as Django is more of a Slave Fantasy but still the film didn't do what "12 years" did It was just a again cartoony western and then he had the nerve to have the White Savior Waltz kill Leo and Made Sam another Black man the main enemy to Django. This film is what Blacks need to see. I'm not shocked Whites are running away from the film as the box office shows. They loved Django cause it was comedic and safe. "12 Years a Slave" really makes them look in the mirror. I can't look at Michael Fassbender the same, he was too good as a slave master, lol. This movie better sweep the Oscars. No lie, touched my soul. I had to cop the book after this as I've heard of it but never read it. Also it was an uplifting ending instead of the typical hopeless endings we get in Slave movies. Again I hope this show this film in history classes in the future.

Last edited:

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
SMH @ all the people that gave Django praise and it got that Big Box Office but they completely skipped what I feel is the greatest film on Slavery. And Finally it was done by a Black Man. Hollywood finally let the people that was enslaved get behind the lense and tell our story. It was also written by a Black Man in John Reily. The movie was beyond phenominal. I loved that he picked this slave story to tell. An Intelligent Free Man in the North who would could read and write and heat of the Slavery movement in America. Fassbender was spectacular. Now that was a Slave Master, (Leo Take Notes), I liked Leo in Django but the more we get away from the film the more cartoony and unrealistic it becomes

Chiwetel Ejiofor better win Best Actor, he gave 100% of himself. You were with him the whole way. Lupita Nyong'o was just too good, you felt her pain all the way. . This was by far one of the realist protrayls of slavery I've ever seen. Mcqueen film skills are so on point. The Editing, The Action, the scenes. I'm a so sick at how ROBBED it got at the Golden Globes. Best Picture but what about writing? Acting? My only complaint was how they made Brad Pitt the White Savior but a white man did help him get out of that hell. Also Brad folked over the money to make the film which is why he's a producer so I let it slide since he got this amazing story to the Big Screen.

This movie touched me deeply. As everyone knows I was critical of QT and Django (Check out my Thread in the Raffters Spike Goes in on Django http://www.thecoli.com/threads/spike-lee-goes-in-django-is-disrespectful-to-my-ancestors.71846/ ) cause I felt QT didn't really hit at the heart of Slavery and make you feel it. Sure they are different films as Django is more of a Slave Fantasy but still the film didn't do what "12 years" did It was just a again cartoony western and then he had the nerve to have the White Savior Waltz kill Leo and Made Sam another Black man the main enemy to Django. This film is what Blacks need to see. I'm not shocked Whites are running away from the film as the box office shows. They loved Django cause it was comedic and safe. "12 Years a Slave" really makes them look in the mirror. I can't look at Michael Fassbender the same, he was too good as a slave master, lol. This movie better sweep the Oscars. No lie, touched my soul. I had to cop the book after this as I've heard of it but never read it. Also it was an uplifting ending instead of the typical hopeless endings we get in Slave movies. Again I hope this show this film in history classes in the future.

Excellent review! I agree 100%. I know this sounds trite but the book is far better and more detailed than the movie. Solomon Northrup was really an excellent writer. Its weird though that this book was written in the early 1800's, but it wasn't really popular when it was initially created. It wasn't till it was rediscovered by some white women in the south in the 1950's was when it became popular.

Crazy.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Excellent review! I agree 100%. I know this sounds trite but the book is far better and more detailed than the movie. Solomon Northrup was really an excellent writer. Its weird though that this book was written in the early 1800's, but it wasn't really popular when it was initially created. It wasn't till it was rediscovered by some white women in the south in the 1950's was when it became popular.

Crazy.

His story was unbelievable and Every America not just Black person should read the book and see this film. It's the GOAT Slavery movie. "Roots" finally has a competitor. The same way my parents showed me "Roots" as a kid. I will show my kids "12 Years" when they are ready. Our History can't be forgotten. I'm happy the brother made it out. Again We are so used to seeing Uneducated slaves in these movies. It was powerful to show a Black man of Intelligence at that time. I actually went to an exhibit called "Slavery in New York" at the Natural History Museum back in 2005. I was shocked how deep Slavery was in NY. Slaves built Wall St. and the Brooklyn Bridge but not many people know that. New York was one of the 1st states to Abolish Slavery which is why the film showed him being free in the 1840's.

628x471.jpg

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
His story was unbelievable and Every America not just Black person should read the book and see this film. It's the GOAT Slavery movie. "Roots" finally has a competitor. The same way my parents showed me "Roots" as a kid. I will show my kids "12 Years" when they are ready. Our History can't be forgotten. I'm happy the brother made it out. Again We are so used to seeing Uneducated slaves in these movies. It was powerful to show a Black man of Intelligence at that time. I actually went to an exhibit called "Slavery in New York" at the Natural History Museum back in 2005. I was shocked how deep Slavery was in NY. Slaves built Wall St. and the Brooklyn Bridge but not many people know that. New York was one of the 1st states to Abolish Slavery which is why the film showed him being free in the 1840's.

628x471.jpg

Exactly. And Northrup really reveals how demonic white folk were in the end. After he was captured, and got himself freed, he couldn't even get the police to arrest the cac's that sold him into slavery because as a black man, the law wouldn't recognize his testimony in court! :wtf:

Again, most white consider black sub human. This was a great example of it.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Ok Oscar Nods looking good and Fassbender got a nod. I was hoping he would get one last year for "Prometheus" for supporting actor but he did great this year with "12 years" and "The Counselor". SMDH that a Black Man has never won Best Director. Only Spike and John Singleton have been nominated and well as Lee Daniels. It's not about wanting approval it's about getting reconigtion in film we deserve. Don't tell me a Black Man hasn't dropped a movie good enough for an Best Director Oscar cause that Bullsh!t. Steve Mcqueen should be the 1st Black Director to win. Enough is Enough.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Finally saw it, thought it was good, but not as good as it's being hyped up to be on here.

Acting from most actors in general was good and convincing, Fassbender and Lupita were :whoo::wow:, those two gave the best performances of the movie. Wasn't impressed with Ejiofor until the last 15 minutes of the movie, didn't stand out at all and was pretty much average for the most part.

The story was :to:, damn a lot of horrific stuff was in the movie, the part where Solomon and Epps were whipping Patsy, god damn! same with the lynching scene in the forest. The part where they split up the family was :damn:.

The cinematography was better than I thought it would be, they did good there.

However despite the film being titled "12 years a slave", it didn't feel like Solomon was a slave for 12 years and instead felt like he was a slave for couple of months. The characters never once looked as if they had aged or gotten older, you didn't see all of the seasons pass.

Ikwa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just saw this smh so this is how Christianity was introduced to black people? By means of justifying slavery :wtf:
Ironic that black people are nowadays the most ferocious followers of Christianity :what:

What's your excuses? @Chris.B @c00ns (and before you come up with the Islam did the same thing nonsense we've already visited that subject and you/ve been proven wrong.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Just saw this smh so this is how Christianity was introduced to black people? By means of justifying slavery :wtf:
Ironic that black people are nowadays the most ferocious followers of Christianity :what:

What's your excuses? @Chris.B @c00ns (and before you come up with the Islam did the same thing nonsense we've already visited that subject and you/ve been proven wrong.
you have no standing...Islam is far worse.

MouseTeeth

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens

I dono if my experience is unique but i saw both in the theaters...both in Brooklyn (Sheepshead Bay) and in Django the theater was 90% black and 12 years a slave the audience was 90% white

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Islam encouraged people to release their slaves.

But keep living in denial c00n :what:
As if that somehow rights the abuse and destruction they did in Africa.

Dude I'm well traveled in Africa and I speak Fluent Ghanaian Language called Twi.

If you go deep into the history of Africans and the dirty ass Muslims you would bow your head down in shame.

Funny to me when a c00n like you who follows a religion started by a dirty ass camel rider tries to justify is as more legitimate than Christianity.

IT'S A JOKE.

Only way you can make your case is if you are an atheist which you aren't'.....

Any black Muslim is a disgrace