Just saw 12 Years a Slave

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just saw this smh so this is how Christianity was introduced to black people? By means of justifying slavery :wtf:
Ironic that black people are nowadays the most ferocious followers of Christianity :what:

What's your excuses? @Chris.B @c00ns (and before you come up with the Islam did the same thing nonsense we've already visited that subject and you/ve been proven wrong.

There are some parts of Africa that already practiced Christianity, so as a broad statement this wasn't how all black people were introduced. Still, I always found it ironic seeing these films like Rosewood with black people praying to the God white people forced on them to save them from.

Ikwa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As if that somehow rights the abuse and destruction they did in Africa.

Dude I'm well traveled in Africa and I speak Fluent Ghanaian Language called Twi.

If you go deep into the history of Africans and the dirty ass Muslims you would bow your head down in shame.

Funny to me when a c00n like you who follows a religion started by a dirty ass camel rider tries to justify is as more legitimate than Christianity.

IT'S A JOKE.

Only way you can make your case is if you are an atheist which you aren't'.....

Any black Muslim is a disgrace
Where's your evidence for that? Someone who knows someone who knows someone told you? :heh:

A lot of nonsense as usual, Islam freed and gave status to black men 1400 years ago meanwhile black people where still held into slavery by Christians a mere 100 or so years ago.

That's the religion which has been forced on your ancestors through slavery. Do you deny that Mr. c00n?

Islam and Christianity is incomparable on this matter, between I'm an African Muslim by choice and you best believe that there was no such thing as forced conversion nor slavery on my ancestors. It is my choice to be Muslim unlike yours :manny:

You still haven't answered the initial question. How can you follow a religion which has been forced upon your ancestors through slavery?

Ikwa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There are some parts of Africa that already practiced Christianity, so as a broad statement this wasn't how all black people were introduced. Still, I always found it ironic seeing these films like Rosewood with black people praying to the God white people forced on them to save them from.
That's all I'm asking breh, if a person was to force a relative of mine into slavery and then teach him about "God's book" you best believe i'm giving him the :camby: treatment.

Smh I don't understand how this can be done to be honest.

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
SMH @ all the people that gave Django praise and it got that Big Box Office but they completely skipped what I feel is the greatest film on Slavery. And Finally it was done by a Black Man. Hollywood finally let the people that was enslaved get behind the lense and tell our story. It was also written by a Black Man in John Reily. The movie was beyond phenominal. I loved that he picked this slave story to tell. An Intelligent Free Man in the North who would could read and write and heat of the Slavery movement in America. Fassbender was spectacular. Now that was a Slave Master, (Leo Take Notes), I liked Leo in Django but the more we get away from the film the more cartoony and unrealistic it becomes

Chiwetel Ejiofor better win Best Actor, he gave 100% of himself. You were with him the whole way. Lupita Nyong'o was just too good, you felt her pain all the way. . This was by far one of the realist protrayls of slavery I've ever seen. Mcqueen film skills are so on point. The Editing, The Action, the scenes. I'm a so sick at how ROBBED it got at the Golden Globes. Best Picture but what about writing? Acting? My only complaint was how they made Brad Pitt the White Savior but a white man did help him get out of that hell. Also Brad folked over the money to make the film which is why he's a producer so I let it slide since he got this amazing story to the Big Screen.

This movie touched me deeply. As everyone knows I was critical of QT and Django (Check out my Thread in the Raffters Spike Goes in on Django http://www.thecoli.com/threads/spike-lee-goes-in-django-is-disrespectful-to-my-ancestors.71846/ ) cause I felt QT didn't really hit at the heart of Slavery and make you feel it. Sure they are different films as Django is more of a Slave Fantasy but still the film didn't do what "12 years" did It was just a again cartoony western and then he had the nerve to have the White Savior Waltz kill Leo and Made Sam another Black man the main enemy to Django. This film is what Blacks need to see. I'm not shocked Whites are running away from the film as the box office shows. They loved Django cause it was comedic and safe. "12 Years a Slave" really makes them look in the mirror. I can't look at Michael Fassbender the same, he was too good as a slave master, lol. This movie better sweep the Oscars. No lie, touched my soul. I had to cop the book after this as I've heard of it but never read it. Also it was an uplifting ending instead of the typical hopeless endings we get in Slave movies. Again I hope this show this film in history classes in the future.

:wow:

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
My word :wow:

The hype is justified.

Brehs, I just saw 12 Years a Slave tonight. Words cannot explain the awesomeness of that movie. I just cannot :wow:

One of the most amazing films ever. I think the homie Steve McQueen is gonna get an Oscar. He the one :lupe:

Chiwetel Ejiofor too :ohlawd:

What a movie. Michael Fassbender :wow:

Best movie ive seen all year. This generation's Roots.

It should win a lot of Oscars. Not just for the acting and direction. The cinematography. The detail. I have not many words to say.

:salute:

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
I really think people are going to be embarrassed by the standing they tried to give Django after seeing this film, or pretend they never said it.

12 Years really put the horrors of slavery -- ON ALL LEVELS -- right in front of the viewers face.

Brehs they
had a scene where they were auctioning off a pretty mulatto girl because they wanted to rape her when she got old enough :damn:

but what made it so sickening was that it was said so nonchalantly and wasnt a big deal at all in the movie. THAT WAS SLAVERY! :damn:

that spoiler :sadcam:

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
Why is it better? Just because it's more "serious"? :childplease:

Tarantino showed in the movie how going through life is a Game to be played. For example, when Waltz and Django were caught up in the situation early in the movie and Waltz pulled out his "warrant" for the Sheriff he killed, it's not clear the sheriff was the actual guy the warrant was for. The scene before they go to the plantation Waltz tells Django to pick a outfit and not to deviate from the character is about SALES. You pick your gimmick and stick to it. If you're a lawyer, you wear a suit. If you're an investment banker, you don't run around chasing clients in shorts and a t-shirt. In making a deal, both sides are always overstating what they can do. In the end, you will be happy if the person delivers on at least 80% of what they claimed. At the end of the movie, Django learned the game when he used Waltz's bounty papers to fool the hillbillies. He was doing exactly what Waltz was doing before. It's a mental shackle of the brain that keeps many people from accomplishing what they want.

Even for 12 Years they have to SELL the movie. You create a bunch of early review hype, get the blogs going (this thread), interviews, etc. It's not simply we're going to spend $20 million on a movie and suddenly everyone is going to see it. It would FLOP. This movie has been set up great for a Oscar run which it deserves. At the end of the day, you're still pushing a product.

A movie doesn't have to be serious to be sincere. I believe Tarantino was sincere in what he put out.

:ohhh:

im loving the discussion

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
Just saw this smh so this is how Christianity was introduced to black people? By means of justifying slavery :wtf:
Ironic that black people are nowadays the most ferocious followers of Christianity :what:

What's your excuses? @Chris.B @c00ns (and before you come up with the Islam did the same thing nonsense we've already visited that subject and you/ve been proven wrong.
THANK YOU

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang

No this is not the way it was introduced, maybe reenforced. There are actually churches in Senegal, where the basement of the church would be were the slaves were held before they went on the ships to the Americas. The basements would lead to the a tunnel and the slaves would have to walk through it, and it would lead to the the slave ships waiting by the shore.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
SMH @ all the people that gave Django praise and it got that Big Box Office but they completely skipped what I feel is the greatest film on Slavery. And Finally it was done by a Black Man. Hollywood finally let the people that was enslaved get behind the lense and tell our story. It was also written by a Black Man in John Reily. The movie was beyond phenominal. I loved that he picked this slave story to tell. An Intelligent Free Man in the North who would could read and write and heat of the Slavery movement in America. Fassbender was spectacular. Now that was a Slave Master, (Leo Take Notes), I liked Leo in Django but the more we get away from the film the more cartoony and unrealistic it becomes

Chiwetel Ejiofor better win Best Actor, he gave 100% of himself. You were with him the whole way. Lupita Nyong'o was just too good, you felt her pain all the way. . This was by far one of the realist protrayls of slavery I've ever seen. Mcqueen film skills are so on point. The Editing, The Action, the scenes. I'm a so sick at how ROBBED it got at the Golden Globes. Best Picture but what about writing? Acting? My only complaint was how they made Brad Pitt the White Savior but a white man did help him get out of that hell. Also Brad folked over the money to make the film which is why he's a producer so I let it slide since he got this amazing story to the Big Screen.

This movie touched me deeply. As everyone knows I was critical of QT and Django (Check out my Thread in the Raffters Spike Goes in on Django http://www.thecoli.com/threads/spike-lee-goes-in-django-is-disrespectful-to-my-ancestors.71846/ ) cause I felt QT didn't really hit at the heart of Slavery and make you feel it. Sure they are different films as Django is more of a Slave Fantasy but still the film didn't do what "12 years" did It was just a again cartoony western and then he had the nerve to have the White Savior Waltz kill Leo and Made Sam another Black man the main enemy to Django. This film is what Blacks need to see. I'm not shocked Whites are running away from the film as the box office shows. They loved Django cause it was comedic and safe. "12 Years a Slave" really makes them look in the mirror. I can't look at Michael Fassbender the same, he was too good as a slave master, lol. This movie better sweep the Oscars. No lie, touched my soul. I had to cop the book after this as I've heard of it but never read it. Also it was an uplifting ending instead of the typical hopeless endings we get in Slave movies. Again I hope this show this film in history classes in the future.
QT wasn't trying to make a heartfelt emotional movie like 12 years.. they're two totally different movies in almost every aspect. I mean, what did you expect from QT? I don't think you have to shyt on Django to appreciate both films. You keep generalizing an entire race of peoples' supposed attitudes towards two movies, how are "whites running away from the film"? The film was in limited release in theaters, I had to go to the "indy" theater just to see it, this film was NEVER going to have mainstream success in the theaters for a plethora of reasons but that's not a negative thing. 12 years made more money than "Her" and "Dallas Buyers Club". That's what I like about this year, a lot of low key GEMS that got a lot of praise. Most of the white people today had nothing to do with slavery or what their ancestors did, they're not going to look at this movie as a reflection of themselves, but a reflection of how demonic humans in the past were. I completely agree the movie should be shown in history classes when discussing slavery because it gives you a very real look at what it was like. Any other year Ejiofor would've been a shoe in for best actor, but fukk there were some really really good performances this year, I personally wouldn't even be able to choose. McQueen's direction was fantastic, especially the cinematography. Fassbender was incredible as well, I hope he or Jonah Hill wins the oscar for best supporting actor. I believe "Her" is going to easily win the screenplay oscar, but don't they have two different categories for original screenplay and an adapted screenplay like 12 years (from a book)? I hope it wins some awards but its got some stiff competition this year.

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
amazing film but i didn't like how they had zimmer's "time" playing through the whole damn thing. kind of cheapened that masterpiece for me

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
You sounding like Solomon was talking when he was talking to Clemons when he 1st got kidnapped. He was clearly naive in even assuming his white "friend" vouched for those con men. His issue was his blind trust to white people in general. He even trusted Ford and tried to kiss his ass in believing Ford would set him free being sympathetic of a so-called "misunderstanding", and ol' girl, Eliza, dropped a gem on him saying he's living in fantasy land if he believes that shyt. Dude even trusted and gave money to a drunkard former overseer because he thought he would trust him. By close to the end, dude reacted the same way that sell-out Clemons reacted when he ran out the ferry running to his Master Roy giving two f*cks about the rest of y'al. Solomon when he saw the store owner and the town sheriff, he was about the shoot those deuces the same way Clemons did until Patsy reminded him who he's leaving behind. Even when he tried to escaped, that dude got shooked. All that talk about fighting to LIVE, he ended up doing just what Clemons told him, he ended up fighting to survive, and almost gave up his will to even fight anymore had it not been for Bass.

By the closing of the film, he even tried to have faith in the JUDICIAL system and got him nowhere. The only white person he actually stood up against was Tibeats, and that's because he assumed Ford would have his back with all the ass kissing he was dishing to him.

Dude was a straight up Uncle Tom. Maybe not by the end, but definitely at the start of the film. He viewed himself as a white man and didn't really care about slavery until he became a slave himself. That store flashback scene pretty much exposed that.

You smart dumb nikkas are really something. :dwillhuh:

First off, he didn't view himself as a white man. He viewed himself as a FREE man, which is what he was. He'd been free long enough to make a steady wage, make a family, and buy a home.

Secondly, yeah he did fall into despair, but how long did it take? 10-12 years? How many of y'all would've lasted that long.

(BTW, Solomon misjudged character more than a few times, but that's normal. You're not gonna live very long without trying to trust someone.)

Finally, they're never gonna make a Nat Turner so you c00ns better just give that shyt up. Sooner or later, you'd have to show a scene of Nat killing white babies, and nobody's (Black, white, whatever) financing a movie with that in it. I think some of you proposing these movie ideas don't know how to sell a movie to potential distributors and movie producers.