"Jungle Fever" 1991 Spike Lee film starring Wesley Snipes

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
Wow I just realized she was in the sopranos. David Chase must have loved this movie when he was casting.

Showing my age here lol, had a crush on her from this and the wasy she got banged on the desk

Then liked her in Hand that Rocks The Cradle

\

Regarding the film def one of my faves

My dad still has the OST on Vinyl, Stevie Killed it

The ending
:ohhh::damn::mjcry::wow:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Also the thing about the movie that I liked is that even though it dealt with real issue it didn't seem like spike was trying to bash jokers for no reason to get viewership. He really was trying to tackle some issues on some here it is deal with it however you may but this is how it is.

Last edited:

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
Also the thing about the movie that I liked is that even though it dealt with real issue it didn't seem like spike was trying to base jokers for no reason to get viewership. He really was trying to tackle some issues on some here it is deal with it however you may but this is how it is.

This is how I feel about Do The Right Thing. Crazy how prominent both those films are today.

b. woods

Peace
Daps
Watched this again for the first time in awhile. One thing that never struck me before was just how funny this movie is. Very dark and understated humor, It could almost be a satire.

Seriously, Ossie Davis' character, the combination of his over the top religious sermons and the gospel music playing in the background whenever he spit that ether was hilarious to me.

Wesley Snipes character being the stereotypical successful black man obsessed with proving that he's still "down" and coming across as conscious while still having severe color issues and lusting after white women and light skinned women

Angie being the typical naive white girl who "doesn't see race" and thinks love will conquer all

Paulie trying to rise above his ignorant ass family and friends

The Taj Mahal scene, probably the greatest scene depicting the crack era in cinematic history

The annoying racist Italians, the War Council scene with the black women, Gator's last dance, etc.

Movie is brilliant and in my top five best Spike Lee flicks

:dead: Complain about black men being lazy, worthless bums who sit around complaining when that is what you do on a daily basis, brehs.

EDIT:

:dead: Complain about black people only supporting black officials while you only support Italian-American officials, brehs.

:dead: Complain about elections, but never vote, brehs.

Last edited:

R-Typ3

All Star
Daps
That is why I give it to spike. He faces issues head on in his movies. Non of that dancing around shyt. Like how white Hollywood likes to do movies where the white character calls black folks all sorts of racist shyt then does some nice shyt like buy a black man a sandwich or help a black lady out of a car and suddenly we as the viewers are suppose to forgive all the racist shyt the white character did. That is why I will always hate that stupid fukking dumb ass movie crash.

Crash was another case..It wasn't 'sposed to change the world but just the idea that the same lady that cop violated and got away with it would be the life he risked his own to save without color having anything to do with it..just like American History X maybe what he went through changed him maybe it didn't, but he can't go back to sleep after that

R-Typ3

All Star
Daps
Crash was another case..It wasn't 'sposed to change the world but just the idea that the same lady that cop violated and got away with it would be the owner of the life he risked his own to save without skin color having anything to do with it..Just like American History X maybe what he went through changed him maybe it didn't, but he can't go back to sleep after that

Firefly

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He needs to get back to this. He was def in touch back around this time.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh the ether was so cold in this movie (black movies are so soft now). That a dude I went to school saw the movie and had to reevaluate his life. Dude was like man I got some serious color struck issues and need to address them.

We were youngsters and I was like damn you a kid and that shyt hit you. He was like yeah homie I felt like spike was calling dudes like me out in that movie....:pachaha:ether burned that dudes soul.

I don't think he looked at another white girl after seeing the movie....:russ:

I don't really think the movie is against ALL interracial relationships. Like, if two people connect and they happen to be of a different race, then cool, that's fine. Like I think Paulie and the black girl is Spike's idea of a healthy IR relationship. But when it's two people who simply are "curious" or are fetishizing one another like Flipper was doing, that's when you run into problems.

Also, this movie is hard for people who weren't familiar with the climate at the time to understand. Like someone today would think it was completely over the top with how crazy people reacted to black and white couples, not realizing that the whole Yusef Hawkins incident happened in that same Italian neighborhood only a few years before the movie came out. The racial tension in NY around that time was insane

|r|e|a|d|

Hail!!
Daps
Reppin
PJ's to the Burbs
Easily Top 5 Spike Joint
Stevie killed it w/ this soundtrack
:dead: Complain about black men being lazy, worthless bums who sit around complaining when that is what you do on a daily basis, brehs.

EDIT:

:dead: Complain about black people only supporting black officials while you only support Italian-American officials, brehs.

:dead: Complain about elections, but never vote, brehs.

I-talians in NY used to kill me about that not even Sorpranos captured how they were as well as Spike did in a few of his flicks

I don't really think the movie is against ALL interracial relationships. Like, if two people connect and they happen to be of a different race, then cool, that's fine. Like I think Paulie and the black girl is Spike's idea of a healthy IR relationship. But when it's two people who simply are "curious" or are fetishizing one another like Flipper was doing, that's when you run into problems.

Also, this movie is hard for people who weren't familiar with the climate at the time to understand. Like someone today would think it was completely over the top with how crazy people reacted to black and white couples, not realizing that the whole Yusef Hawkins incident happened in that same Italian neighborhood only a few years before the movie came out. The racial tension in NY around that time was insane
I used to hate goin to that neck of the woods in HS to play games or to support one of my schools squads. Once we were coming from a scrimmage and tried to get a slice the owners was like nah youze cant have none yall aint welcome :birdman: f'n cops sitting right there on sum :manny::sas2: this aint the f'n 60's or the south this is 199sumfin NYC

I think thats why they were so anti Spike because he showed a side they diddnt want out there. Erry blackperson in NY knew it was true, but that was also the beginning of guliliani NY :pacspit:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Easily Top 5 Spike Joint
Stevie killed it w/ this soundtrack

I-talians in NY used to kill me about that not even Sorpranos captured how they were as well as Spike did in a few of his flicks

I used to hate goin to that neck of the woods in HS to play games or to support one of my schools squads. Once we were coming from a scrimmage and tried to get a slice the owners was like nah youze cant have none yall aint welcome :birdman: f'n cops sitting right there on sum :manny::sas2: this aint the f'n 60's or the south this is 199sumfin NYC

I think thats why they were so anti Spike because he showed a side they diddnt want out there. Erry blackperson in NY knew it was true, but that was also the beginning of guliliani NY :pacspit:

Yeah Spike has always had a love/hate relationship with Italians in his movies. As much as he depicts them as angry racists you can also tell he's fascinated by their culture. and the funniest thing about 80s/90s NY Italians is that they hated black people but acted just like them, as Eddie pointed out :russ:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Yeah Spike has always had a love/hate relationship with Italians in his movies. As much as he depicts them as angry racists you can also tell he's fascinated by their culture. and the funniest thing about 80s/90s NY Italians is that they hated black people but acted just like them, as Eddie pointed out :russ:

Yeah guidos hated blacks but loved Hip Hop. lol Spike pointed out with the scene of Nick Turturro in his car blasting PE while his girl tells him to turn it down.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah guidos hated blacks but loved Hip Hop. lol Spike pointed out with the scene of Nick Turturro in his car blasting PE while his girl tells him to turn it down.

Nick Turturro's character had me DYING, the way he'd go 0 to 100 in the span of a few seconds. Typical Italian hothead type who can't control his temper.