"Jungle Fever" 1991 Spike Lee film starring Wesley Snipes

R-Typ3

All Star
Daps
Watched this again for the first time in awhile. One thing that never struck me before was just how funny this movie is. Very dark and understated humor, It could almost be a satire.

Seriously, Ossie Davis' character, the combination of his over the top religious sermons and the gospel music playing in the background whenever he spit that ether was hilarious to me.

Wesley Snipes character being the stereotypical successful black man obsessed with proving that he's still "down" and coming across as conscious while still having severe color issues and lusting after white women and light skinned women

Angie being the typical naive white girl who "doesn't see race" and thinks love will conquer all

Paulie trying to rise above his ignorant ass family and friends

The Taj Mahal scene, probably the greatest scene depicting the crack era in cinematic history

The annoying racist Italians, the War Council scene with the black women, Gator's last dance, etc.

Movie is brilliant and in my top five best Spike Lee flicks

I love how even Gator all fukked up on that ready rock asks Flip "what about your wife and kid"?? :wow: and my shyt "If I find out ya fukkin my sister your ass is grass Pauly" :pachaha:

Daps
Reppin
Lwo Lakeset
I remember watched this with my boy and his girl a few years back (who was white)

The whole time he just kept going on about how its disgusting and unnatural whilst his girl sat there quiet with the :sadcam:

Now he's married looking after another man's kids #GMB:francis:

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
That rape scene in She's Gotta Have It is :merchant:

Female characters have always been Spike's weakness as a filmmaker

That's honestly the only scene I remember from that movie, probably because I was like 13 when I watched it

And female characters were his weakness because he casted his sister in damn near every movie he made and she is C+ actress at best

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What I always remember from this movie:

FLIPPER: No half-black, half-white babies for me. No.

ANGIE: Aren't Drew and Vera mulattos? Their skin is lighter than mine.

F: No octoroon, quadroon, mulatto babies. No.

A: Don't you have a daughter whose got white blood in her?

F: Yeah, so what? At least, in my eyes, Drew and Ming are black. They look black, they act black, so they are black. It is hard enough just bein' black out here. No no no no. Lotta times the mixed kids they come out all mixed up, buncha mixed nuts. No.

That is why I give it to spike. He faces issues head on in his movies. Non of that dancing around shyt. Like how white Hollywood likes to do movies where the white character calls black folks all sorts of racist shyt then does some nice shyt like buy a black man a sandwich or help a black lady out of a car and suddenly we as the viewers are suppose to forgive all the racist shyt the white character did. That is why I will always hate that stupid fukking dumb ass movie crash.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Watched this again for the first time in awhile. One thing that never struck me before was just how funny this movie is. Very dark and understated humor, It could almost be a satire.

Seriously, Ossie Davis' character, the combination of his over the top religious sermons and the gospel music playing in the background whenever he spit that ether was hilarious to me.

Wesley Snipes character being the stereotypical successful black man obsessed with proving that he's still "down" and coming across as conscious while still having severe color issues and lusting after white women and light skinned women

Angie being the typical naive white girl who "doesn't see race" and thinks love will conquer all

Paulie trying to rise above his ignorant ass family and friends

The Taj Mahal scene, probably the greatest scene depicting the crack era in cinematic history

The annoying racist Italians, the War Council scene with the black women, Gator's last dance, etc.

Movie is brilliant and in my top five best Spike Lee flicks

Totally agree brotha....just a true classic.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I remember watched this with my boy and his girl a few years back (who was white)

The whole time he just kept going on about how its disgusting and unnatural whilst his girl sat there quiet with the :sadcam:

Now he's married looking after another man's kids #GMB:francis:

Breh the ether was so cold in this movie (black movies are so soft now). That a dude I went to school saw the movie and had to reevaluate his life. Dude was like man I got some serious color struck issues and need to address them.

We were youngsters and I was like damn you a kid and that shyt hit you. He was like yeah homie I felt like spike was calling dudes like me out in that movie....:pachaha:ether burned that dudes soul.

I don't think he looked at another white girl after seeing the movie....:russ: