Joe Montana is still the GOAT in my eyes

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I like doing it yards per game to declutter from from the more games argument.
NFL Single-Season Passing Yards per Game Leaders Through 1990 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Through 1990, only three pre-1978 names made the top 40.

It’s basically the same as today, but some how the ‘78 rule changes for WR contact and olinemen extending their arms were not a big deal.

And you can argue that this had a bigger impact than the WR contact rules.

That’s another thing, how many average offensive lineman from the 50’s and 60’s would dominate if you put them post 1978 with those rules for pass blocking. It was so much harder back in their era

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
Except to the Giants. Twice
.....AND to the Eagles. :sas2:

NFC East owns Brady in the SB.

i see some still believe in deflategate while info has since come out the last few days about the nfl destroying evidence that would have favored the patriots basically Tom shouldnt have been suspended. But yall dont care, some still think 11/12 balls were under inflated :snoop:
What about Spygate, tho? :jbhmm:

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
BNG-L-SB49ERS-0203-527.jpg
Damn, what a great pic....that's some football royalty right there. :whew:

Reminds me of those NFL anniversary roundtables that they did a few years ago.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
And you can argue that this had a bigger impact than the WR contact rules.

That’s another thing, how many average offensive lineman from the 50’s and 60’s would dominate if you put them post 1978 with those rules for pass blocking. It was so much harder back in their era
The NFL should really be before 1978 and after 1978 when it comes to the rules. It was a completely different league after 1978.

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There you have it. Like the WCO didnt balloon numbers like crazy. In a league where 54% was good, WCO offense QBs were in the 60's on average many in the high 60's. Must be a coincidence. Look at Montana-Young-Garcia then compare Brady to Cassell. What was the bigger dropoff in.productivity??

What was the bigger dropoff in QB play? :russ:

premier58

All Star
Daps
What was the bigger dropoff in QB play? :russ:
The guy who threw 1200 yards and 29 tds fewer., while Montanas replacement won 2 MVPs in his first 4 years starting and exceeded.his output in td, passing yards and passer rating. Whats the smiley for?

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Slight change :dead:

The season before the rule changes, Joe Ferguson lead the league in passing yards with 2,873 yards.

In 1979, Dan Fouts is the first QB to pass over 4,000 yards but it’s a “slight change.”
Edit: second to pass over 4,000 but first in 12 years. In 1980, Fouts passed for 4,700 yards

You don’t know what you are talking about.

Dink and dunk is not an offensive philosophy:dead:

It’s taking what the defense gives. Brady always operated in that Erhardt-Parkins offense.

The WCO utilizes short passing routes based on timing. We can’t have this convo when you ignore/pretend rule changes didn’t happen and then troll about an offense type.

the only person trolling … is you

as i said, it was a slight change in the passing after the rule
the fact u moved the goalpost from using the season before the rule then used Flouts 4,000 yards when that was 2 year after
Ferguson in 14 games threw for 2800 yards … the very next season …. Tarkenton in 16 games threw for 3400 yards = u full of shyt
:ufdup:

i never said dinking & dunking is a philosophy … i said the west coat offensive isn’t DND
i posted the definition… and you couldn’t rebut

:umad:

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Who said Brady was terrified? Columnists and talking heads? Where they on the field like Strahan and Tuck?:mjlol:

like i said , players aren’t gonna callout a opposing player never less if it’s one of the greatest

look at his face expressions & tell me all the reports of him being terrified isn’t true ?

hi-res-34dbf264bfed7c92e3156fd10d5c7e46_crop_north.jpg

tom-brady-giants-super-bowl-42.jpg

gettyimages-631549694.jpg

10481194-large.jpg

53d6cd91063a7.image.jpg

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
as i said, it was a slight change in the passing after the rule
the fact u moved the goalpost from using the season before the rule then used Flouts 4,000 yards when that was 2 year after
Ferguson in 14 games threw for 2800 yards … the very next season …. Tarkenton in 16 games threw for 3400 yards = u full of shyt
:ufdup:
Breh, you don't understand how statistics work. :ufdup:

As the seasons progressed, passing yards blew up. :umad:

But you also don't know what rule changed in 1978. :sadcam:
i never said dinking & dunking is a philosophy … i said the west coat offensive isn’t DND
i posted the definition… and you couldn’t rebut
I also posted a definition of the WCO. ITs a short passing, timing based offense. I also posted that Roger Craig some how got 91 catches out the backfield, and you seem to think all 91 of those receptions were designed plays. :dead:

Im not sure you know what you are talking about or discussing at this point.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Breh, you don't understand how statistics work. :ufdup:

As the seasons progressed, passing yards blew up. :umad:

But you also don't know what rule changed in 1978. :sadcam:

no
you don’t know how statistics works and you don’t understand the rules change in ‘78
you purposely use Ferguson prior to the rule change and then jump 2 years to compare Flouts numbers which isn’t fair comparison
in addition you purposely left out prior to the ‘78 rule change there was a 14 game schedule to a 16 game schedule - which completely shyts on your theory

I also posted a definition of the WCO. ITs a short passing, timing based offense. I also posted that Roger Craig some how got 91 catches out the backfield, and you seem to think all 91 of those receptions were designed plays. :dead:

Im not sure you know what you are talking about or discussing at this point.

:mindblown: why u still arguing this nonsense :mindblown:

besides short passing …. DND is the complete opposite of the WOC & yes, R Craig & T Rathman were designed passing plays outta the backfield

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
I absolutely loathe Brady. I like Montana much more, and his style of play definitely appeals more to me.

But I just can't argue against Brady at this point. Maybe prime for prime it is a good discussion. But when you look at his consistent greatness over the course of a very long career, you have to give it to Brady.

Montana had a lot of low points that people don't remember. And Montana was very injury prone. Brady's teams never got blown out (as far as I can remember --- someone please correct me if I am wrong). It is scary how even when his teams lost, Brady pretty much had them in it until the very end. He was like that movie villain who would just never die. Think of the Rams-Bucs game we just saw. Or the Broncos-Pats in 2015 when he missed on a two-point conversion to tie the game. Or the Super Bowls against the Giants ...
Damn, kats already forgot about the Bucs defense coming up with some crazy ass stops in that game, huh:pachaha:?

The game was literally a month ago:mjlol:.

Smokin Rider

I been official
Daps
Reppin
Seattle SuperChronic
like i said , players aren’t gonna callout a opposing player never less if it’s one of the greatest

look at his face expressions & tell me all the reports of him being terrified isn’t true ?

hi-res-34dbf264bfed7c92e3156fd10d5c7e46_crop_north.jpg

tom-brady-giants-super-bowl-42.jpg

gettyimages-631549694.jpg

10481194-large.jpg

53d6cd91063a7.image.jpg

He doesn't look terrified, he look like he just got hit :dahell:

Every quarterback in a snapshot while getting hit or after gonna look like that :gucci:

GettyImages-1367212616-e1644255962771.jpg

quarterback-brett-favre-of-the-green-bay-packers-is-sacked-by-end-picture-id2834734

peyton-manning-sacked-again-2015.jpg

Last edited:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Roger staubach had to face the steel curtain who had more HOFs:russ:

Montana got owned by LT’s giants so I don’t see how that’s an argument in his favor.

That’s another thing he never actually faced the 85 bears in the playoffs, he faced the 88 bears.

He didn't need to. He faced the 85 bears in the regular season that year (week 6) at candlestick and lost 26 to 10.

But there is a key difference in the physicality of how QBs were hit, how OLs actually got called for holding on pass plays and how WRs were not allowed to run free due to being destroyed going across the middle. When you compare the 80s and 90s vs the Modern NFL.

Just look how many great NFL QBs retired in their 30s due to injuries (Aikman concussion, Montana concussion and plus back, Young concussion, Elway Knee Bone on Bone and etc and etc and etc). Where as now all these great QBs end up retiring because well they just tired of playing. Very few retire due to injuries. I mean Brees, Brady, Big Ben, Rivers for example all retired in good health and didn't have to retire because of injuries. Not only that these dudes played/named starter until their very late 30s or early 40s which was basically unheard of back in the day outside of Blanda and Moon (and maybe a couple others over 40 years).

Yet that shyt is common now for QBs playing into their 40s (especially the white ones because they are even more protected than the black QBs). That is all because you are no longer able to be physical with them.

Last edited: