Joe Montana is still the GOAT in my eyes

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Evolution of the NFL Rules | NFL Football Operations

You don’t know what you are talking about. Those two rule changes alone opened up the passing game in the 1980s which is why there was a massive spike in passing yards in the 1980s. You fake historians never want to acknowledge that.

What happened in 2004 was a re-emphasis of the 1978 rule, not a whole new rule. I know you will some how tell us that the nfl doesn’t know it’s own rules and that you do, but that’s what happened.

Now you’re just being obtuse with saying it was a spike after the ‘78 rule - it really wasn’t a spike it was a slight change because of the game evolving … prior to that the overwhelming majority of football was just running the ball ; From the late 70s all the way to the late 90s the NFL game evolve into the most balance it ever has been between running & passing the ball

And what exactly is the terminology of re-emphasizing ?
it means there was a rule but the refs barely called it unless it was egregious and it took 26 years in ’04 changed because the previous year Peyton Manning in the Indianapolis Colts complained that they were robbed in the AFC championship game by the patriots defenders specifically Ty Law - thereafter the rule became synonymous with the NFL and turn the league into a passing league

This is literally what dinking and dunking is you idiot. :dead:
Dink And Dunk

dink and dunk
footballplayer-140x300.jpg

What Is The Definition Of Dink And Dunk In Football?
1. This term is used in football to describe an offense that makes short passes for most of the game in order to move downfield. These short passes typically result in only modest yardage gains of about 10 yards or less.

Dink and dunk is generally a disparaging term since the strategy often develops on teams with an inexpert quarterback. However, even teams with experienced quarterbacks may use this strategy if they have to move down the field quickly in order to score a field goal.

:snoop: at comparing DND to the WCO

WCO resulted into big plays/yards that’s why in my OP i stated YAC being a term created with the Montana/Rice 9ers era

disparaging term ? WCO was & still is considered the greatest offense created
inexpert QB ? this thread is about the GOAT
——————-
these 2 definition of DND shyts on your argument

I wish the nfl kept the figures but the 90s 49ers were always league leaders in time of possession. :russ:

You are wrong on nearly everything you say sports related.

:mjlol: u been saying this stupid shyt from the SOHH dayz :umad:

premier58

All Star
Daps
:yeshrug: i’m telling u … after that game all the news was how much Brady was terrified

and i truly respect players are not going to tell the complete truth when it comes to shytting on another players heart
so I can see Strahan and Tuck taking the highroad
Did you hear Joey Bosa questioning Derek Carr earlier thia year?? And Bill Walsh made the outlet/checkdown WR a staple of their offense. Its one of the reasons why WCO QBs all had a higher completion percentage than everyone else. I read this in Joe Montanas Art and Magic of Quarterbacking. Used to read it on my grandmas toilet all the time. Tell me Im lying.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Now you’re just being obtuse with saying it was a spike after the ‘78 rule - it really wasn’t a spike it was a slight change because of the game evolving … prior to that the overwhelming majority of football was just running the ball ; From the late 70s all the way to the late 90s the NFL game evolve into the most balance it ever has been between running & passing the ball
Slight change :dead:

The season before the rule changes, Joe Ferguson lead the league in passing yards with 2,873 yards.

In 1979, Dan Fouts is the first QB to pass over 4,000 yards but it’s a “slight change.”
Edit: second to pass over 4,000 but first in 12 years. In 1980, Fouts passed for 4,700 yards

You don’t know what you are talking about.

:snoop: at comparing DND to the WCO

WCO resulted into big plays/yards that’s why in my OP i stated YAC being a term created with the Montana/Rice 9ers era

disparaging term ? WCO was & still is considered the greatest offense created
inexpert QB ? this thread is about the GOAT
——————-
these 2 definition of DND shyts on your argument
Dink and dunk is not an offensive philosophy:dead:

It’s taking what the defense gives. Brady always operated in that Erhardt-Parkins offense.

The WCO utilizes short passing routes based on timing. We can’t have this convo when you ignore/pretend rule changes didn’t happen and then troll about an offense type.

Last edited:

premier58

All Star
Daps
Slight change :dead:

The season before the rule changes, Joe Ferguson lead the league in passing yards with 2,873 yards.

In 1979, Dan Fouts is the first QB to pass over 4,000 yards but it’s a “slight change.”

You don’t know what you are talking about.

Dink and dunk is not an offensive philosophy:dead:

It’s taking what the defense gives. Brady always operated in that Erhardt-Parkins offense.

The WCO utilizes short passing routes based on timing. We can’t have this convo when you ignore/pretend rule changes didn’t happen and then troll about an offense type.
Exactly. Look at what guys like John Jefferson and Stanley Morgan did. You could win a WR title with less than 1000 yards pre 78.

DaRock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People come in here and wanna say "longevity" and "stats after 40" but that only proves the point further.. Montana "fell off" because of the hits..

Brady and this generations QBs are protected and offenses pass more than ever... He should have those numbers. Rodgers and Mahomes and Russ and a bunch of QBs now have gaudy stats. That's what they're supposed to do.

Show this generation of QBs numbers compared to Brady...

And how do you now "define " GENERATIONS???

Brady literally played for 22 years...:russ:

Copy Ninja

Superstar
Daps
:yeshrug: i’m telling u … after that game all the news was how much Brady was terrified

and i truly respect players are not going to tell the complete truth when it comes to shytting on another players heart
so I can see Strahan and Tuck taking the highroad

Who said Brady was terrified? Columnists and talking heads? Where they on the field like Strahan and Tuck?:mjlol:

premier58

All Star
Daps
It’s hilarious because they think the records of today are a joke yet refuse to acknowledge that their heroes benefitted from a different league.
Exactly. Like Staubach, Tarkenton, Dawson, Stabler, Bradshaw etc couldnt y the same thing about Fouts, Marino, Montana and Moon etc.. They will downplay Brady because of era, when comparing to.the 80s and 90s, while showing utter disregard for someone like Starr who was at a disadvantage in the passing game compared to those who followed.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Exactly. Like Staubach, Tarkenton, Dawson, Stabler, Bradshaw etc couldnt y the same thing about Fouts, Marino, Montana and Moon etc.. They will downplay Brady because of era, when comparing to.the 80s and 90s, while showing utter disregard for someone like Starr who was at a disadvantage in the passing game compared to those who followed.
I like doing it yards per game to declutter from from the more games argument.
NFL Single-Season Passing Yards per Game Leaders Through 1990 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Through 1990, only three pre-1978 names made the top 40.

It’s basically the same as today, but some how the ‘78 rule changes for WR contact and olinemen extending their arms were not a big deal.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Why do you do this??

:russ:

You’re hilarious

I used to say Joe Montana for years but it’s clear it’s Tom Brady..

It cannot be disputed

22 years, 7 Super Bowls and NEVER fell off

Never, dude had too many games decided by bullshyt calls and cheating, he'll always be an giant asterisk to me. I'm not trying to figure out how good he would have been without cheat codes.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Show this generation of QBs numbers compared to Brady...

And how do you now "define " GENERATIONS???

Brady literally played for 22 years...:russ:

Literally... Mahomes/Watson/Russ/Rodgers/Cousins/Brees/Prescott all have higher career passer ratings than Brady :mjlol: :mjlol: :mjlol: :dead:

You dummies can't even get your own argument straight..

i guess none of them have benefitted from the era right? They must just all be better than Tom :mjlol:

premier58

All Star
Daps
I like doing it yards per game to declutter from from the more games argument.
NFL Single-Season Passing Yards per Game Leaders Through 1990 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Through 1990, only three pre-1978 names made the top 40.

It’s basically the same as today, but some how the ‘78 rule changes for WR contact and olinemen extending their arms were not a big deal.
There you have it. Like the WCO didnt balloon numbers like crazy. In a league where 54% was good, WCO offense QBs were in the 60's on average many in the high 60's. Must be a coincidence. Look at Montana-Young-Garcia then compare Brady to Cassell. What was the bigger dropoff in.productivity??

FabTrey

Superstar
Daps
People come in here and wanna say "longevity" and "stats after 40" but that only proves the point further.. Montana "fell off" because of the hits..

Brady and this generations QBs are protected and offenses pass more than ever... He should have those numbers. Rodgers and Mahomes and Russ and a bunch of QBs now have gaudy stats. That's what they're supposed to do.

Brady led the league at the age of 44 and never fell off. :mjlol:

I mean you act like all of today's QBs can play at the HIGHEST level at 44. :hhh:

Manning looked like chad pennington at the end.
Brees had no arms. his arm was gone for like 3-4 years.
Big Ben plays like he overcame concussion.

And then there are players like McNabb, Alex Smith, Carson Palmer, Romo, Dalton, Luck, Eli, Cam, etc, etc all fell off like a mofo.

You act like Montana with his 200lb frame would last 22 years in this league. he didn't run like dual threat QB, but he did run enough to get those hits. after all montana was not a statue like brady.
:bryan:

22 years? nah.

BNG-L-SB49ERS-0203-527.jpg

oh by the way, Steve Young WON with the same organization actually looking more dominant in stretches. maybe it's the system. :heh:

give it a rest. there is no argument for montana. it's 2022. not 2014.

Last edited: