Joe Montana is still the GOAT in my eyes

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
no you have it wrong in ‘77 or ‘78 they implement it what I believe is called the “Mel Blount rule” - because back then the defender was able to pretty much tackle the receiver before he can even begin his route

thereafter in the Montana/Walsh era those same defenders could grab the receiver (not tackle/haul) up until 10 yards I believe in which changed about a 2 and a half decade later with the “Ty Law rule” because Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts kept complaining to the commissioner and that’s when receivers and tight ends numbers exploded … so you would happen to be wrong by saying in Montana’s era those receivers play under the same rule as Bradys era

and finally the Bill Walsh “west Coast offense” was nothing like dinking n dunking … basically was a change from the previous generation of football which was a more vertical game where the quarterback would do a 5 to 6 step drop back or shotgun to throw the ball 30 - 40 yards downfield see Steelers Raiders Cowboys etc. etc. so getting back to the “west coast offense” it was more of a side to side or horizontal game where the receivers and backs were in motion and it was a quick 3 step back no shotgun by the quarterback in out of their hands to the receiver while they was in motion and that basically produce what we call YAC yards after catch
so please stop this nonsense about making shyt up
I am a 49er fan from way back inna days… I know what I’m talking about
A lot of this is incorrect. The ‘78 rule changes established the five yard contact rule.

The west coast offense was a short passing offense based on timing and short and intermediary routes. How does Roger Craig have a 91 reception season if there are no dinking and dunking?

You don’t know what you are talking about

Copy Ninja

Superstar
Daps
With all due respect you’re being quite delusional I am comparing the 2 different errors you are comparing Montana’s teams with the players that he had to go against

and bringing up players like Ray Lewis in this conversation doesn’t make any sense if you wanna go there I could’ve easily added Mike Singletary to my list the fact is those two old time greats were middle linebackers ; so I don’t again I don’t understand why would you even bring Rae into this

And I assume you really Misinformed because bringing up the New York Giants is pretty ridiculous I remember all the media talk after that undefeated New England team losing the SB … And every report that came out said Brady was basically terrified during that whole game because the Giants D line dominated. it actually became a staple into beating the PATS … if you can put pressure on Brady with your front 4 without blitzing was the easiest way to defeat them -which became the talk for well over a decade that he very uncomfortable under pressure
so I don’t understand what the hell you’re saying about Tom Brady being this tough guy

download

Brady stood in the pocket even when his OL was getting destroyed, took the Giants punishment and led the Pats to a TD drive with less than 3 minutes to play. Even after his D shyt the bed and gave up the lead with less than a minute, dude still stood in the pocket and threw passes and nearly completing an unreal throw to Moss. shyt, here have the Giants tell you about his toughness -

premier58

All Star
Daps
A lot of this is incorrect. The ‘78 rule changes established the five yard contact rule.

The west coast offense was a short passing offense based on timing and short and intermediary routes. How does Roger Craig have a 91 reception season if there are no dinking and dunking?

I guess Rathman and Craig were catching deep posts and corner routes out the backfield. Rice and Taylor were infamous for taking 6 yard slants 70 plus. Didnt John Taylor have a MNF game against the Rams where he had 2 90 plus yard td and 2 very short, simple passes??

JYoung24

Young J
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1st year is always tough. Ask Heatles :ufdup:

Brady won with bunch of cacs and no #1 WRs 4 times :ufdup:

Like I said. Brady is Montana + Young + Aikman COMBINED. :banderas:
So stacked they ain’t even make the playoffs the year before. No such thing as a stacked team in the NFL if your QB can’t finish the job and that’s the point with Tom Brady. Put him on any team and they a contender

They didn't make the playoffs because the QB before threw 30 pics and they still won 7 games had he thrown only. 20 pics they make the playoffs and they added even more talent when Brady got there hell they even got a better kicker

broller

Veteran
Daps
They didn't make the playoffs because the QB before threw 30 pics and they still won 7 games had he thrown only. 20 pics they make the playoffs and they added even more talent when Brady got there hell they even got a better kicker

Word. It took a historically bad QB performance to keep them out. And even then Brady coming in got them only 11-5. They got hot in the post season though, obviously. Shout out to Drew Brees though.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Im being delusional?? How so?? Justin Tuck and Strahan said he was always there and never rattled. Pressure with 4 ia the recipe to give any QB trouble. Very stupid comment. Going back to the 70s. The Steel Curtain would get pressure with 4, thats why they were so formidable, as were the Purple People Eaters, Fearsome Foursome. You literally tried to list DT as an opponent for Montana when they only played one year as potential opponents in opposite conferences. Bradys has won plenty of games while being hit. He got a ton in SB 51 and still led them back, Freeney used to get a Brady and Brady would still play well and win. The Ravens were drilling Brady in 2014 in the Divisional Playoffs. He came.back down 14, twice!! The Niners were wreaking havoc in 2012 on Brady ahd he still led them back down 31-3 to tie the game. Joe is so tough that they went and traded for Young after getting that ass taxed 49-3. Then he got benched.in the playoffs after getting that ass taxed again in 87. And got benched!!! Has Tom Brady ever got benched in a playoff game?? Has he ever been knocked out in a playoff game?? Brady played against many killers.

Of course you’re being delusional in addition obtuse as I already explain to you its asinine for you to try to omit Derrick Thomas not playing in the same era as Montana …

and you’re completely wrong after that Super Bowl where the Giants beat the patriots everybody who covered the Giants or that Super Bowl made it completely known that Brady was scared as shyt throughout that whole game back then I used to listen to sports radio WFAN and that was the talk for about a week and a half thereafter

Yeah Montana got knocked out of a couple of the playoff games which actually proves my point … because if Brady played in Montana’s era that would’ve happened to him multiple times as well as far as getting bench that’s not true when your star quarterback is in a playoff game and you’re losing big and the game is pretty much done there’s no need to potentially get your quarterback hurt so well that is ridiculous for you to even mention now as far as Steve Young I find it incredibly asinine that you would even try to mention that because we all know that Bill Belichick wanted to get rid of Brady for Jimmy Garoppolo … whom they traded to 9ers played decent As a game manager leading them to a Super Bowl loss but eventually understood he could only take them so far so they moved up and drafted a quarterback to replace him and is currently trying to move him

:mjlol: yet u wanna compare that to Montana back-up at the time (Steve Young) a first ballot Hall of Famer

:snoop:this is not a good look on your so-called NFL knowledge

Raquinotj

#NBATwitter #NBAReddit #6ixRings #PatsNation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of champions BAWSTON
Why do you do this??

:russ:

You’re hilarious

I used to say Joe Montana for years but it’s clear it’s Tom Brady..

It cannot be disputed

22 years, 7 Super Bowls and NEVER fell off

nikkaz forget when Montana was throwing 13 TDS washed up at the age of 37.
48360ce375abf324848187646572305a.jpg

Brady after Forty…

Juggalo Fred

Juggalo and horrorcore enthusiast
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Juggalo island
nikkaz forget when Montana was throwing 13 TDS washed up at the age of 37.
48360ce375abf324848187646572305a.jpg

Brady after Forty…

Yeah because the league softened up the rules so hard anytime you touch a QB it's a 15 yard penalty but when Montana was playing guys got crippled by defenses:camby:

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX

I guess Rathman and Craig were catching deep posts and corner routes out the backfield. Rice and Taylor were infamous for taking 6 yard slants 70 plus. Didnt John Taylor have a MNF game against the Rams where he had 2 90 plus yard td and 2 very short, simple passes??

u don’t know what your talking about

if the Mel Bount rule in 1978 was still being used …. explain why did the NFL enforced the Ty Law rule in 2004 ?

Dinking n Dunking is NOT what the West Coast offense is …
DND is a quarterback who drops back looks left looks right and check down to whomever is open for real short gain

DND …. that results into successful drive usually is takes a lot of plays & time off the clock
WC … as I said over and over is a motion offensive where the quarterback gets the ball to his receiver in stride and it results into big plays

:mindblown::mindblown::mindblown::mindblown:

it’s just completely mine blowing that u cant distinguish these 2 offenses

Raquinotj

#NBATwitter #NBAReddit #6ixRings #PatsNation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of champions BAWSTON
Yeah because the league softened up the rules so hard anytime you touch a QB it's a 15 yard penalty but when Montana was playing guys got crippled by defenses:camby:

Montana was washed at 36, Brady gave ya 8 More including the most memorable Super Bowl in the history of the league. Top 3 QB for at least 18 years(including his last season) of his career in the league and MVP runner up in his last season at 44 in a league with Pat Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen etc… can’t name another athlete that was as dominant as Brady was at 44 in any sport.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Brady stood in the pocket even when his OL was getting destroyed, took the Giants punishment and led the Pats to a TD drive with less than 3 minutes to play. Even after his D shyt the bed and gave up the lead with less than a minute, dude still stood in the pocket and threw passes and nearly completing an unreal throw to Moss. shyt, here have the Giants tell you about his toughness -

:yeshrug: i’m telling u … after that game all the news was how much Brady was terrified

and i truly respect players are not going to tell the complete truth when it comes to shytting on another players heart
so I can see Strahan and Tuck taking the highroad

Juggalo Fred

Juggalo and horrorcore enthusiast
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Juggalo island
Montana was washed at 36, Brady gave ya 8 More including the most memorable Super Bowl in the history of the league. Top 3 QB for at least 18 years(including his last season) of his career in the league and MVP runner up in his last season at 44 in a league with Pat Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen etc…

You just ignoring everything I say and slurping Brady some more :mjlol:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
People come in here and wanna say "longevity" and "stats after 40" but that only proves the point further.. Montana "fell off" because of the hits..

Brady and this generations QBs are protected and offenses pass more than ever... He should have those numbers. Rodgers and Mahomes and Russ and a bunch of QBs now have gaudy stats. That's what they're supposed to do.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
u don’t know what your talking about

if the Mel Bount rule in 1978 was still being used …. explain why did the NFL enforced the Ty Law rule in 2004 ?
Evolution of the NFL Rules | NFL Football Operations
In 1978, the NFL further freed up receivers with the illegal contact rule, restricting contact beyond 5 yards downfield. And it loosened the interpretations of holding by offensive linemen by giving them permission to extend their arms and open their hands on pass plays. This had the desired effect of opening up the passing game and reducing conservative play calling.

You don’t know what you are talking about. Those two rule changes alone opened up the passing game in the 1980s which is why there was a massive spike in passing yards in the 1980s. You fake historians never want to acknowledge that.

What happened in 2004 was a re-emphasis of the 1978 rule, not a whole new rule. I know you will some how tell us that the nfl doesn’t know it’s own rules and that you do, but that’s what happened.
Dinking n Dunking is NOT what the West Coast offense is …
DND is a quarterback who drops back looks left looks right and check down to whomever is open for real short gain
This is literally what dinking and dunking is you idiot. :dead:
DND …. that results into successful drive usually is takes a lot of plays & time off the clock
I wish the nfl kept the figures but the 90s 49ers were always league leaders in time of possession. :russ:

You are wrong on nearly everything you say sports related.