Joe Montana is still the GOAT in my eyes

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Actually it doesn't "destroy" anything because there's two things going on at the same time. The rule changes helped inflate the stats and the rule changes also helped protect the QBs..

We are discussing stats + longevity. The stats are super inflated the past ten years.... that's a fact. The QB's are not getting hit the way they were in Montana's era... that's also a fact.

Both of those facts lead the more passing yards and more passing TDs and LESS injuries. That all helps the current era of QB.

Now go ahead and try to show me where the lie is. THAT's why the 3 of you ran away from the debate. :manny:

Yeah the facts are the rule changes of 1978 “inflated” passing stats of 1980’s QBs and protected them compared to their 50’s,60’s and 70’s counterparts

premier58

All Star
Daps
Actually it doesn't "destroy" anything because there's two things going on at the same time. The rule changes helped inflate the stats and the rule changes also helped protect the QBs..

We are discussing stats + longevity. The stats are super inflated the past ten years.... that's a fact. The QB's are not getting hit the way they were in Montana's era... that's also a fact.

Both of those facts lead the more passing yards and more passing TDs and LESS injuries. That all helps the current era of QB.

Now go ahead and try to show me where the lie is. THAT's why the 3 of you ran away from the debate. :manny:
You keep talking about raw stats,,lets judge rankings. Who led their league in passing yards more?? Who led their league in passing tds more?? When adjusted for era, who has the more dominant peak seasons? Who has more top 5 MVP finishes?? Who faced harder competition? Those are things to base them on.
Montans best competition
The LT Giants
The Gibbs Redskins
The Ditka Bears
The Dome Patrol Saihta
Bradys best competition
The Manning Colts
The Big Ben Polamalu Steelers
The Ray Lewis/Ed Reed Ravens
The Peyton Manning/Von Miller Broncos
Best tean faced in Superbowl
Montana
84 Dolphins
81 Bengals
88 Bengals
89 Broncos
Brady
2014 Seahawks
2020 Chiefs
2001 Rams
2004 Eagles

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps

But yet the records that took place in the 80s were all “legit.”

Offensive linemen couldn’t extend their arms to block before 1978, but some how the 80s were not out of whack versus before.

Delusional

premier58

All Star
Daps
I don’t care about the Brady vs Montana shyt either. It’s when you think the universe started at one point and pretend nothing happened until that point that infuriates me.
Exactly. The Bradshaw, Staubach, Tarkenton era thought the same thing about the Fouts, Montana, Marino era thinking they had it easy in the 80s.. Just like the Unitas, Starr, Namath thought they had it easy in the 70's. Just like dikk Butkus and Ray Nitschke probably didnt think much of the meanness of Jack Lambert and LT.

premier58

All Star
Daps
I bet Taylor, Swann, Warfield, Pearson etc..wish they had the freedom to run routes like Chandler, Rice, Clayton, Ellard etc..

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Exactly. The Bradshaw, Staubach, Tarkenton era thought the same thing about the Fouts, Montana, Marino era thinking they had it easy in the 80s.. Just like the Unitas, Starr, Namath thought they had it easy in the 70's. Just like dikk Butkus and Ray Nitschke probably didnt think much of the meanness of Jack Lambert and LT.
I can't find it, but Terry Bradshaw at Super Bowl XXIV during the pregame talked about the explosion of passing in the 80s and talked about the rule changes changing the sport. I used to have it on Youtube, but I lost it and I think it was deleted

premier58

All Star
Daps
I can't find it, but Terry Bradshaw at Super Bowl XXIV during the pregame talked about the explosion of passing in the 80s and talked about the rule changes changing the sport. I used to have it on Youtube, but I lost it and I think it was deleted
I wouldve loved to have seen that. They act like Lynn dikkey and Don Majowski didnt have big years..like Mark Rypien didnt have a dominant year also. Somehow Rypien, Simms and Aikman were able to survive the Philadelphia Eagles. Jim Plunkett also played 16 years in that era. Andrew Luck only made it 7 years in the so called "soft" era"

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Hey man!! Dont talk shyt about Wade Wilson and Sean Salisbury, Dieter Brock, Jay Schroder and Gary Danielson!!! Like @mastermind keeps saying, no one hesitated to anoint Montana over guys like Staubach and Starr who had it way tougher than Joe did. Like Montana didnt have.the advantage of the most.innovative and influential offensive coach ever with a legendary coaching tree that has spawned succeas throughout the league. Walsh went and traded for Young while Montana was 30!! Because Joe was so frail!!! Contrary to belief, QBs werent.just having their careers ended left and right back then. Brett Favre probably took a worst shellacking vs the Saints in the Brady era, then he took in the vaunted 90s. If Montana got hit like Big Ben did by Bart Scott, he probably gets his sternum crushed!!! The Ray Lewis Ravens were soft?? The Deebo Steelers were soft?? The.Brian Dawkins Eagles were soft?? The Henderson and Stroud Jags were soft? The Strahan/Armstead NYGs were soft? The Briggs/Urlacher Bears were soft?? The Zach Thomas/Jason Tsylor Dolphins were soft?? The Seau/Harrison Chargers were soft? The Brooks/Sapp/Lynch Bucs were soft? Etc etc

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So rule changes inflate numbers.

What a revelation. The whatsboutisms are a Coli staple.

:beli: