Jermaine Dupri Speaks out against AI technology infiltrating the music industry

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
Who controls what laws get passed? big business.

If universal decides they do not wan real humans anymore making music you think they can't lobby for legislation to change said laws to work in their favor?
Artists have unions and clout too. We'll see what happens, but as of now, AI music can't be copyrighted.
Metallica went to war over pirating music. how successful were they?
Remember SOPA? The MPA has another anti piracy law coming. This also has nothing to do with AI. An artist that used AI made art wouldn't be able to fight pirates over it in the 1st place.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I'm mad that art is being sold out to corporations and business men. At least at one point the artists could make a living.

You sound like you're a business man and not a musician or culturally involved in anything.
I sound like a businessman even though I'm saying producers still got a lot more juice than you think? I used to make beats myself, built and talked to plenty of these cats, I'm happy for everyone who makes it.

You sound like the business man here breh hoping producers and artists get buried by A.I.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Artists have unions and clout too. We'll see what happens, but as of now, AI music can't be copyrighted.

Remember SOPA? The MPA has another anti piracy law coming. This also has nothing to do with AI. An artist that used AI made art wouldn't be able to fight pirates over it in the 1st place.

They fought for artists and artists lost.

Thats why I brought it up.

Its history repeating itself.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
I sound like a businessman even though I'm saying producers still got a lot more juice than you think?

You sound like the businessman here breh hoping producers and artists get buried.

Hoping? I'm literally advocating against the prostitution of art and you're co-signing it as a tool.

You're either playing devils advocate or are looking forward to being broke if you're involved.

Adeptus Astartes

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
They fought for artists and artists lost.

Thats why I brought it up.

Its history repeating itself.
The reason they could fight at all is because they owned the product. AI products can't be owned.

This isnt artists vs industry or artist vs pirates, it's about fundamental intellectual property rights.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Hoping? I'm literally advocating against the prostitution of art and you're co-signing it as a tool.

You're either playing devils advocate or are looking forward to being broke if you're involved.
Yeah, because it's a tool people will potentially use to make dope music on top of just like all the advancements of music tech the last 40 years?

Were you against DAWs and VST's?

You can prompt it to make a dope sample, then flip that sample in a DAW. That's dope af and a lot of producers are already experimenting with and creating dope music with it.

And check this: YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO.

Nobody is forcing anyone to use this stuff. However, it's an option for those that will.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
The reason they could fight at all is because they owned the product. AI products can't be owned.

This isnt artists vs industry or artist vs pirates, it's about fundamental intellectual property rights.

really cause NFTs and the metaverse is a thing.

Crypto was a thing.

You think AI music being profitable is that farfetched?

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Yeah, because it's a tool people will potentially use to make dope music on top of just like all the advancements of tech?

Were you against DAWs and VST's? Were you against arpeggiators?

You can prompt it to make a dope sample, then flip that same in a DAW. That's dope af and a lot of producers are already experimenting with it.

And check this: YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO.

Nobody is forcing anyone to use this stuff. However, it's an option for those that will.

Nope. DAWs and VSTs were tools for humans.

Now AI can do it.

If you can't see the writing on the wall IDK what 2 tell you.

Shoutout AMAZON stores with 0 employees.

Literally right now the biggest thing in hip-hop is AI diss tracks.

I applaud your optimism; actually I view it as you being naive.

Hope you got a backup plan. Especially if you're just a producer who only knows how to do something with software.

Adeptus Astartes

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
really cause NFTs and the metaverse is a thing.

Crypto was a thing.

You think AI music being profitable is that farfetched?
Yes. How would you sell it? Once a single non watermarked copy gets out, it can be distributed for free thereafter.

Crypto and NFTs are money laundering schemes and pump and dump scams.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Yes. How would you sell it? Once a single non watermarked copy gets out, it can be distributed for free thereafter.

Lawyers backed by real $$$ will figure it out. Its called capitalism. Its been undefeated.

think morality is what makes the world turn brehs :russ:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Nope. DAWs and VSTs were tools for humans.

Now AI can do it.

If you can't see the writing on the wall IDK what 2 tell you.

Shoutout AMAZON stores with 0 employees.

Literally right now the biggest thing in hip-hop is AI diss tracks.

I applaud your optimism; actually I view it as you being naive.

Hope you got a backup plan. Especially if you're just a producer who only knows how to do something with software.
Nah, I chose to go into STEM/engineering and quit my chase being a producer/beatmaker years ago.

I still think it's naive to think this destroys the music industry though. It's literally just another tool.

Some songs no doubt will be straight up ripped and uploaded right off the bat if the A.I comes up with something that good. Other times it'll be passed for someone else's music.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Nah, I chose to go into STEM/engineering and quit my chase being a producer/beatmaker years ago.

I still think it's naive to think this destroys the music industry though. It's literally just another tool.

Oh shyt you in STEM; you should be way more away of how AI effects all aspects of lyfe then.

I actually am anticipating it for some of my own selfish needs.

I'm tired of dealing with engineers who don't know shyt :lolbron:

Adeptus Astartes

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
Lawyers backed by real $$$ will figure it out. Its called capitalism. Its been undefeated.

think morality is what makes the world turn brehs :russ:
Speculation. Until something is actually in the works, I'm not gonna fearmonger about it. It's already been hashed out legally and the USCO told AI artists :camby:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Speculation. Until something is actually in the works, I'm not gonna fearmonger about it. It's already been hashed out legally and the USCO told AI artists :camby:

I wish I was as optimistic as you. Hopefully I wont be throwing this in your face in the near future.