Jermaine Dupri Speaks out against AI technology infiltrating the music industry

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
I mean isn’t this same argument ppl used when music started using more electronics, synths, drum machines… and today with auto tune…sound engineers allowing ppl to sound like they can sing nowadays

Pretty much.

Only difference now is that it affects him. Technology wasn't a problem when his Akai MPC saved him the labor costs of hiring a studio drummer or trumpist to compose music.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Anybody who says the music these things generate isn't good, well there have been multiple producers who have said otherwise and are scared of it.

At the end of the day:

What it basically now comes down to is making money from music is going to be harder than ever because everyone will be pushing shyt out easy af and anything that sounds new will be reverse engineered by A.I. and the market will be flooded by that same sound within that week.

It's going to basically be make music because you enjoy making music and what you love hearing, not because you're trying to make money or clout from it.

Last edited:

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
Gonna have to start actually going to shows and festivals to get close to real shyt. Might have to start grading on organic content now.

I know that a computer can do crazy shyt, the point is to see a human do it and then try to do it yourself

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I mean isn’t this same argument ppl used when music started using more electronics, synths, drum machines… and today with auto tune…sound engineers allowing ppl to sound like they can sing nowadays
I think this is the best argument to it:

Everyone can basically be Rick Rubin now with their own personal musical team making the music.

it's still music making no doubt, but he is right in the sense that there are far less skills needed.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
So the average person should feel sorry for these rich nikkaz? :dahell:

No; but as fans we should feel bad cause we're the consumer.

I love music.

I have 0 interest in consuming AI music.

If this is the future I'm listening to only old shyt and will pay to see real LIVE acts.

KISS just sold the rights to have hologram concerts. people will actually pay 2 see that. I can't get jiggy with that.

They already have AI OF/IG hoes and people are paying to look at robots.

its matrix/total recall shyt manifesting.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
At the end of the day though, if you have real musically talent you'll be able to use this tech to make doper shyt than most other people.

If you know your stuff you'll go so much further than the people that don't, no matter how much this tech closes the gap.

Someone can still take the output of this stuff, go into a DAW and style it up if they know what they're doing.

It's like sample flipping.

Jesus H. Christ

I died for your sins
Daps
With all due respect to JD. Labels don't give a fukk about musicians either. So, JD, stfu and play some drums :heh:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
At the end of the day though, if you have real musically talent you'll be able to use this tech to make doper shyt than most other people.

If you know your stuff you'll go so much further than the people that don't, no matter how much this tech closes the gap.

Someone can still take the output of this stuff, go into a DAW and style it up if they know what they're doing.

It's like sample flipping.

you're being short sighted.

this actually will give a HUGE edge to the people who don't have talent.

this will only take $$$ out of the talented's pockets.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
you're being short sighted.

this actually will give a HUGE edge to the people who don't have talent.

this will only take $$$ out of the talented's pockets.
No more than what DAWs did.

It's only so many places at the very top. The cream always rises.

There's always a very top. That's how it works.

I'd argue there's a lot of "unskilled" trash right now anyways.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
No more than what DAWs did.

It's only so many places at the very top. The cream always rises.

There's always a very top. That's how it works.

The cream always rises? How in tune with music/the industry are you actually type that.

Ice Spice is literally the most dominant woman in hip-hop right now.

She was in a superbowl commercial.

Artificial Intelligence

Not Allen Iverson
Daps
Depends on the use of ai.. you can’t just say all ai is bad.. because it isn’t. This use of ai should be illegal.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
The cream always rises? How in tune with music/the industry are you actually type that.
Actually very in-tune with the music industry and the producer community.

You had Junior High kids getting NBA Youngboy placements and plaques giving rights to their beats for a pair of Jordans.

I know someone who got two placements with Future and the Weekend who walked away with a grand total of $80k after working with two of the biggest hip-hop artists/pop/R&B artists of the last 10 years. These cats know people artists are getting dope-sounding beats thrown at them from every direction. At that point dude knew take it or leave it even though it's two once-in-a-lifetime type of placements for anybody.

Look at how much people are charging for dope beats on Beatstars and how many beats there are. Producers are selling packs of 100's of beats for $15.

shyt been watered down. A.I ain't changing anything worse than what it is right now :mjlol:

Do you know how much new music is released per day and uploaded, last year, before A.I? This was from two years ago:

Regardless of that, there's still a Metro Boomin who is considered a hitmaker and sought after producer. The cream still rises and there are still well-known producers through small communities like Discords getting placements and who artists know by name.

Yeah, A.I will turn the dial on how much new music is released. But a shytload of music is already released per day anyways. The combination of Spotify/Soundcloud and DAWs and beatmaker subreddits probably are similar in scale to A.I's impact.

Last edited:

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
Here's the thing, labels would love to cut humans that you have to PAY money to, out of the equation. They don't care about passion or feeling, only the dollar.

And if a robot or computer can do that for free, that's excellent for them
People keep saying this, but I don't think it's true. AI art can't be copyrighted, therefore it can't be effectively monetized.

Touring is where the money is, and you won't fill a stadium for some dude pressing a button on an iPod without some massive show to go along with it.