Jamaicans tell the truth on how Black Americans gave them rhyming, and two turntables

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
tenor.gif

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
said no one ever on a forum... except for the paranoid xenophobes

answer yourself. I don't submit to none of you brehs idea that I need to validate myself to you. check your ego.
Xenophobia is South Africans murdering Nigerians, not this:
I'm asking a simple question, and it has nothing to do with validation.
Why are you so focused on Black Americans?

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah... it's pretty sad bro.

You can't even come into a thread like this and speak facts if it doesn't go directly with the narrative they're trying to form.
we're the only people in the thread speaking facts. y'all are speaking feelings.
We're correcting a previous (false) narrative formed by caribbean people and well meaning but naive (young) african americans.
Ok?

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Dont forget Dapper Dan got his style from Africa to:sas1:
Dapper Dan got his style from being around Harlem drug dealers and adapting the "high end" tastes to the looks he saw.
People can play up africa in interviews because it sounds good.
Now put that cup down. Nothing about his style says "68-74 africa" and you can't even name a part he got anything specific from. One minute it's "Africa is a continent, not a country", then you treat it like a country to claim AA achievements. FOH.
:sas2:

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
Dapper Dan got his style from being around Harlem drug dealers and adapting the "high end" tastes to the looks he saw.
People can play up africa in interviews because it sounds good.
Now put that cup down. Nothing about his style says "68-74 africa" and you can't even name a part he got anything specific from. One minute it's "Africa is a continent, not a country", then you treat it like a country to claim AA achievements. FOH.
:sas1:
His writing led to him touring Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia, Egypt and Tanzania in 1968, as part of a programme sponsored by Columbia University and the civil rights organisation the National Urban League. Six years after his initial visit, he went back to Africa to see the famed Muhammad Ali v George Foreman “Rumble in the Jungle” fight in Kinshasa in what was then Zaire but is now the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The fight was postponed because Foreman had been injured while training, so Day travelled to Lagos, Nigeria and Monrovia in Liberia. There, he befriended a tailor who made him a suit from vivid local fabrics.

This west-African take on American style would serve as the primordial soup for his “Africanisation” of the designs of high-end European fashion houses. Day never made it to the boxing match – he spent all his money on more custom pieces and took a flight home. But what he had found was his calling. He returned to New York and became a clothier.

'I came up a black staircase': how Dapper Dan went from fashion industry pariah to Gucci god

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:sas1:
His writing led to him touring Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia, Egypt and Tanzania in 1968, as part of a programme sponsored by Columbia University and the civil rights organisation the National Urban League. Six years after his initial visit, he went back to Africa to see the famed Muhammad Ali v George Foreman “Rumble in the Jungle” fight in Kinshasa in what was then Zaire but is now the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The fight was postponed because Foreman had been injured while training, so Day travelled to Lagos, Nigeria and Monrovia in Liberia. There, he befriended a tailor who made him a suit from vivid local fabrics.

This west-African take on American style would serve as the primordial soup for his “Africanisation” of the designs of high-end European fashion houses. Day never made it to the boxing match – he spent all his money on more custom pieces and took a flight home. But what he had found was his calling. He returned to New York and became a clothier.

'I came up a black staircase': how Dapper Dan went from fashion industry pariah to Gucci god

:russell:
He didn't africanize anything and that look was "common east coast drug dealer".
It's good PR.
You see how I already knew he "toured africa"? Doesn't matter.
Did any of his 80s pieces use vivid local (indonesian) fabric? LMAOOO NO
Slate’s Use of Your Data
The Curious History of “Tribal” Prints
How the Dutch peddle Indonesian-inspired designs to West Africa.
Some of that "african" shyt INDONESIAN anyway :ufdup:

truth2you

All Star
Daps
400 years of no contact, nah.
You didn't birth anything.
Everything here looks ADOS influenced, though

I’m not going gonna lie, ADOS don’t dance like we used to. We too fly now. Africans still dance, some West Indians too like Trinidadians

My era was the last of us dancing big time. We used to have all types dances, but once gangsta rap got big, shyt went down. That’s why Atl got on top, they was about dancing while nyc became mobsters

ADOS are the Kings, and Queens, of dancing, but Africans keeping it going. They just need to do more moves. We had tap dancing, the different hustles, cabbage patch, running man, breakdancing, pop and locking, Harlem shake, and so much more

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I’m not going gonna lie, ADOS don’t dance like we used to. We too fly now. Africans still dance, some West Indians too like Trinidadians

My era was the last of us dancing big time. We used to have all types dances, but once gangsta rap got big, shyt went down. That’s why Atl got on top, they was about dancing while nyc became mobsters

ADOS are the Kings, and Queens, of dancing, but Africans keeping it going. They just need to do more moves. We had tap dancing, the different hustles, cabbage patch, running mind, breakdancing, pop and locking, Harlem shake, and so much more
Gangsta rap ALWAYS had dances, I think you're not plugged in bro. You might just be from a "non dance" city or a "slow music" area where they don't have an embedded dance culture.
we still dance bro

IShotTheSheriff

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
we're the only people in the thread speaking facts. y'all are speaking feelings.
We're correcting a previous (false) narrative formed by caribbean people and well meaning but naive (young) african americans.
Ok?
Oh ok bro. Lmao

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
We gave them soul music and culture, they remixed it into reggae and the sound system culture in Jamaica.

Jamaicans then brought that culture to the Bronx, blended it with the AA disco DJ scene, and that's what birthed Hip Hop culture.

They basically took the disco music out of the clubs and brought it to the streets for the neighborhood, like they used to do in Jamaica.

DJ's started looping the drum break of the songs to keep the party live, and with the singer not being on that part, neighborhood guys got on the mic to shout the DJ out and various neighborhood celebrities.

Some guys were more clever than others, mixed in a couple catchy rhymes and call and response...

Boom, rap music is born.

It's a cultural exchange.

We are both indebted to each other.

It's not that hard to understand.

Last edited:

truth2you

All Star
Daps
Gangsta rap ALWAYS had dances, I think you're not plugged in bro. You might just be from a "non dance" city or a "slow music" area where they don't have an embedded dance culture.
we still dance bro

Yeah, u right

I was talking about in hip hop, and just at the party, Those dances I mentioned, besides tap dancing, were being done by everyone at the party, even regular people

It was the serious guys who would get in a cypher, and get down, that still happens. But it’s different when different people do different moves at the jam, I used to love it. That is when hip hop was hip hop. I was too young to experience Disco, but I hear it was the same thing, which makes sense being hip hop is the child of disco

As far as far dancing in general, yeah we got it

truth2you

All Star
Daps
We gave them soul music and culture, they remixed it into reggae and the sound system culture in Jamaica.

Jamaicans then brought that culture to the Bronx, blended it with the AA disco DJ scene, and that's what birthed Hip Hop culture.

It's a cultural exchange.

We are both indebted to each other.

It's not that hard to understand.
And we have another one who didn’t watch the video, and is still spreading misinformation

This shyt is crazy!:ohhh::dead: