Jamaicans tell the truth on how Black Americans gave them rhyming, and two turntables

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
We gave them soul music and culture, they remixed it into reggae

this is true

and the sound system culture which Jamaicans then brought to the Bronx, blended it with AA disco DJ scene, and that's what birthed Hip Hop culture.

this is false

Herc and Baam always point out that the Jamaican soundsystem influence was zero

Founding Fathers Documentary: Hip Hop Did Not Start in the Bronx

To be sure, there were all kinds of mobile jocks in New York in the early 70′s. Hands down, no questions. I’ve always asked the Bronx cats that I’ve interviewed this one important question, “Yo, what impact did the Jamaican sound systems have on ya’ll?”

Everybody from Toney Tone to Kool Herc to Bambaataa said: “None, none at all. They weren’t a part of our thing. They did their own thing.”

The one time I interviewed Kool Herc I asked him about the Jamaican sound systems in the Bronx and he acknowledged knowing a few of them, but said that they had no influence or impact whatsoever.

Straight from Baam:

HipHop is the direct offshoot of overground (non-gay) black DISCO SOUNDSYSTEMS

first dj's with 2 turntables and a mixer = disco djs (hiphop identified dj's followed this and copied)

and their rapping djs

first dj's with full blown rhymes over breaks = disco dj's (hiphop identified dj's followed this and copied)

0PL4JDn.jpg

to sum it all up

hUmEPJu.jpg

bUf7vTv.jpg

9BlCdO8.png

Pete Dj Jones: "One of the first rapping dj's (KC The Prince Of Soul), I stole him from Flowers"

Do you remember the kinds of records you were playing in that early ’70s period?

I was playing most of the hits, like James Brown… I think what created hip-hop was the multi-ethnic music in the New York area. Every DJ had an MC.

Did you have one?

Yeah, KC The Prince Of Soul. I stole him from Flowers. He started MCing with me around 1971, then I had JD The Disco Prince, then I had Lovebug Starski.

Lovebug Starski - You've Gotta Believe
When did you start using MCs?

I started MCing myself, I used to like talking over the music. You got guys like Kool Herc and Bambaataa that claimed they started hip-hop, they gotta remember that hip-hop emerged from R&B. I had a lot of rappers say they was influenced by me. These rappers started emerging about 1975 and 1976.

https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2019/01/pete-dj-jones-interview

More and more DJs were incorporating emcees into their sets; that is, having someone on the microphone shouting out the DJ and keeping the party moving. KC Prince of Soul, Grandmaster Flowers’ emcee, was the first to talk over a record—imitating popular radio DJ Hank Spann of WWRL. Soon after, Harlem’s DJ Hollywood began talking over his mixes and became more famous for his wordplay than for his deejaying. Hollywood’s street fame led to him selling copies of his deejay sets around the way at barbershops and bodegas. On the strength of their party-friendly approach, Eddie Cheeba and DJ Hollywood became the house DJs at Harlem’s Club 371.

A Toast to Grandmaster Flash: Hip-hop Pioneer, Turntable Wizard and Superhero DJ

[/spoiler]

Last edited:

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, u right

I was talking about in hip hop, and just at the party, Those dances I mentioned, besides tap dancing, were being done by everyone at the party, even regular people

It was the serious guys who would get in a cypher, and get down, that still happens. But it’s different when different people do different moves at the jam, I used to love it. That is when hip hop was hip hop. I was too young to experience Disco, but I hear it was the same thing, which makes sense being hip hop is the child of disco

As far as far dancing in general, yeah we got it
People still do those, and everybody else's parties are more "cool"
People are newer to the internet so they're at different stages of showing themselves, aka "look at me, too"

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
We gave them soul music and culture, they remixed it into reggae and the sound system culture in Jamaica.

Jamaicans then brought that culture to the Bronx, blended it with the AA disco DJ scene, and that's what birthed Hip Hop culture.

They basically took the disco music out of the clubs and brought it to the streets for the neighborhood, like they used to do in Jamaica.

DJ's started looping the drum break of the songs to keep the party live, and with the singer not being on that part, neighborhood guys got on the mic to shout the DJ out and various neighborhood celebrities.

Some guys were more clever than others, mixed in a couple catchy rhymes and call and response...

Boom, rap music is born.

It's a cultural exchange.

We are both indebted to each other.

It's not that hard to understand.
No, they didn't have sound system culture, they were using 1 turntable and we already used two.
Black Americans were already having street parties.
Herc joined that ongoing culture.
There was no cultural exchange (outside of jamaicans being heavy emulators), just a dude who moved to new york and did what other people did.
That's it.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
this thread is a continuation of other threads on this topic here.

check those for clarity. it was dude Meta who got exposed who jump started this controversy on this forum. ain't no lies @IllmaticDelta probably has the old thread on this topic. Meta had a total disdain for Jamaicans

and yes again I never heard Jamaicans claim hip hop is theirs. That Busta clip is a first for me... most people claim cross culture influence not that Jamaicans originated hip hop.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
this is true

this is false

Herc and Baam always point out that the Jamaican soundsystem influence was zero

Straight from Baam:

HipHop is the direct offshoot of overground (non-gay) black DISCO SOUNDSTEMS

first dj's with 2 turntables and a mixer = disco djs (hiphop identified dj's followed this and copied)

and their rapping djs

first dj's with full blown rhymes over breaks = disco dj's (hiphop identified dj's followed this and copied)

0PL4JDn.jpg

to sum it all up

hUmEPJu.jpg

bUf7vTv.jpg

9BlCdO8.png

Pete Dj Jones: "One of the first rapping dj's (KC The Prince Of Soul), I stole him from Flowers"

https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2019/01/pete-dj-jones-interview

A Toast to Grandmaster Flash: Hip-hop Pioneer, Turntable Wizard and Superhero DJ

[/spoiler]

Powerful posting.

Give me a min to take all that in.

truth2you

All Star
Daps
@IllmaticDelta U are the GOD of all this ADOS history shyt:salute:

listening to how DJ Chips had to put all his equipment together at the jam made me realize how easy we got it today

we are blessed to have such high quality equipment be so small. You can give a party with just some good controllers, mixer, flash drives, and a few speakers. You gotta have dough, but it’s still possible:ahh:

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
this thread is a continuation of other threads on this topic here.

check those for clarity. it was dude Meta who got exposed who jump started this controversy on this forum. ain't no lies @IllmaticDelta probably has the old thread on this topic. Meta had a total disdain for Jamaicans

and yes again I never heard Jamaicans claim hip hop is theirs. That Busta clip is a first for me... most people claim cross culture influence not that Jamaicans originated hip hop.
:mjlol:Most of the info he used came from @IllmaticDelta anyway.
You're still mentioning people who don't post here or care about you.
Jamaicans have been claiming hip hop falsely for a long time.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
@IllmaticDelta U are the GOD of all this ADOS history shyt:salute:

listening to how DJ Chips had to put all his equipment together at the jam made me realize how easy we got it today

we are blessed to have such high quality equipment be so small. You can give a party with just some good controllers, mixer, flash drives, and a few speakers. You gotta have dough, but it’s still possible:ahh:

Facts.

When that brother talks, I’m a student.

I tried debating him years ago and got schooled something serious.

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
400 years of no contact, nah.
You didn't birth anything.
Everything here looks ADOS influenced, though

doesn't matter, it's genetics
you wouldn't be moving the way you move if you didn't have that 80% niger congo. damn sure didn't get it from your native american or settler side
at least when it comes to hip movement.
on that video. besides the kids moonwalk and the one with the kid doing the shuffle with his feet, none of these are ados influence.
ados did not invent break dancing. or any of those other dances that has to do with legwork. africans were doing it before European contact

Ziploc

Celestial
Daps
Everyone that knows something about music in the carribean knows that 50's doo wop/R&B/Soul had a massive influence on artists. Early ska was basically R&B with accents on the downbeat. Marching bands had a deep impact on the drum patterns through it's syncopation and almost every reggae record uses blues chord progressions with it's trademark on the count to give it that percussive drive mixed with african rhythms like the nayabingi or dyuka for example. That does not mean american music evolved from a vacuum. Blues itself has a strong tie to Africa and i can argue that without the influence of african rhythms and call response that is 100% african in it's origin there would be no black american music to begin with since blues is the father of almost every contemporary style of music we know today.

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Everyone that knows something about music in the carribean knows that 50's doo wop/R&B/Soul had a massive influence on artists. Early ska was basically R&B with accents on the downbeat. Marching bands had a deep impact on the drum patterns through it's syncopation and almost every reggae record uses blues chord progressions with it's trademark on the count to give it that percussive drive mixed with african rhythms like the nayabingi or dyuka for example. That does not mean american music evolved from a vacuum. Blues itself has a strong tie to Africa and i can argue that without the influence of african rhythms and call response that is 100% african in it's origin there would be no black american music to begin with since blues is the father of almost every contemporary style of music we know today.
There is nothing directly "african" about the blues at all. There are similarities between the blues and some Sahelian "djeli" music but that's a bit exaggerated.
Anything african is vestigial.

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
doesn't matter, it's genetics
you wouldn't be moving the way you move if you didn't have that 80% niger congo. damn sure didn't get it from your native american or settler side
at least when it comes to hip movement.
on that video. besides the kids moonwalk and the one with the kid doing the shuffle with his feet, none of these are ados influence.
ados did not invent break dancing. or any of those other dances that has to do with legwork. africans were doing it before European contact

These videos are annoying and no, breakdancing wasn't created in africa.

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
neither did ados
this videos shyts on your agenda
ADOS did create breakdancing and all the moves.
An african circle ritual video in some sandy area, with breakbeats (created by ADOS) pasted over it, with convenient edits =/= breakdancing.
Why aren't you proud of the culture you already have? We don't need it, we have our OWN. It's not yours.
You can like it. You can see similarities, but you can't "big bro" us.
Y'all's dusty beach dancing looks cute, though. Is that even from "your part" of africa?

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
ADOS did create breakdancing and all the moves.
An african circle ritual video in some sandy area, with breakbeats (created by ADOS) pasted over it, with convenient edits =/= breakdancing.
Why aren't you proud of the culture you already have? We don't need it, we have our OWN. It's not yours.
You can like it. You can see similarities, but you can't "big bro" us.
Y'all's dusty beach dancing looks cute, though. Is that even from "your part" of africa?
those dusty beach dancers were breakdancing longer than ados.
you didn't start break dancin until Porto Rican came to the bronx,
your rhythm comes from West Africans, just like them PR
I'm not from Nigeria but your ancestors are :umad:
pay homage