Is there a more pretentious “good show” than Westworld on tv right now?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
You don't care about it and/or you disagree with it =/= it's pretentious. That's what you cats don't seem to get. There have been several real life discussions based on the topic, dating all the way back to the 1970's.

Ethics of artificial intelligence - Wikipedia

And if AI ever reaches the point where it's indistinguishable from interacting with a human....whether or not you think the discussion is pretentious is a moot point. Conversations similar to what you see on this show will be had, regardless.

Fred.
There is nothing that is definitively pretentious or not. Pretentiousness is not a fact it's an opinion.
People write about, teach and discuss at great length fashion choices of celebrities. It doesn't make it any less pretentious.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Not really. Think it's pretty standard mystery/sci-fi. It's trying to keep its whole mystery aura after blowing a lot of its load last season.

You want pretentious, we're talking shyt like Utopia or Mr Robot
This is a good point it did blow it's load kinda early. The robots becoming self-aware and wrecking shop all in the first season leaves the show with where else to go?

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Exactly....and I fukk with "Legion".
I feel like these cats don't really watch weird/abstract movies and/or TV shows if they think "Westworld" of all things is pretentious.:mjlol:
"Pretentious" seems to be Coli short hand for "I can't watch this shyt and play with my phone at the same time." :mjgrin:

Fred.
Spot on :russ:

King Crimson

Member of a very exclusive gang
Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
I don't think the shows are pretentious the fandom can be especially if they call these shows smart or themselves smart for understanding them.I like both shows, I believe they're creative, well written, and touch on relatable themes because of that it's bound to have fans trying to come up with theories and look for symbolism where there is none "sometimes it's just a cigar is just a cigar".
Agree with this.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
The man in Black isn't on some 'deserve' shyt when it comes to the robots and the park? What about Anthony Hopkins character in Season 1?
There's no question in my mind about robots compared to mankind. Exploring that is fake important aka pretentious. :manny:
The MiB is a miserable old dude who had no game and fell in love with a robot. He got his heart broken when said robot proved to be just a robot, and he turned to a life of demonry:demonic:He's the cause of his wife's suicide, his daughter apparently hates him, and he sees the park as an adventure. His whole steez season one was how boring the shyt is since the robots can't fight back. He stopped caring about any semblanc of humanity the robots had the moment he realized how dumb he was for falling for Dolores. The fact he apparently terrorizes her for decades would prove he doesn't think she deserves anything. Ford (Hopkins' character) has a god complex. Bernard is the one who saw the hosts as being more than machines. They created an AI that was so advanced that all of them passed the Turing Test. The natural evolution of that lead to self awareness. It's like nikkas haven't watched the Terminator movies or something:heh:Again, you either apparently think a huge chunk of science fiction is pretentious or have a very off definition of what pretentious means because nothing in Westworld is trying to go over nikkas heads or trying to do too much in general.

OVER

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
The homeless woman on Sons Of Anarchy is a good example of pretentious bullshyt. She meant nothing, she was just an Easter egg that would randomly pop up interacting with multiple characters even showing up in Ireland leading to fans speculating that she was an otherworldly figure like a guardian angel, witch, ghost or the grim reaper.
"Who are you?" Jax asks her in the finale, and her only response is, "It's time."
His Own Personal Jesus: Jax finally asks the mysterious homeless woman who has been haunting Sons of Anarchy since the pilot who, exactly, she is. Her hooded robe/blanket makes her look like the Grim Reapers on the back of the SAMCRO jackets.

maxresdefault.jpg

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
The MiB is a miserable old dude who had no game and fell in love with a robot. He got his heart broken when said robot proved to be just a robot, and he turned to a life of demonry:demonic:He's the cause of his wife's suicide, his daughter apparently hates him, and he sees the park as an adventure. His whole steez season one was how boring the shyt is since the robots can't fight back. He stopped caring about any semblanc of humanity the robots had the moment he realized how dumb he was for falling for Dolores. The fact he apparently terrorizes her for decades would prove he doesn't think she deserves anything. Ford (Hopkins' character) has a god complex. Bernard is the one who saw the hosts as being more than machines. They created an AI that was so advanced that all of them passed the Turing Test. The natural evolution of that lead to self awareness. It's like nikkas haven't watched the Terminator movies or something:heh:Again, you either apparently think a huge chunk of science fiction is pretentious or have a very off definition of what pretentious means because nothing in Westworld is trying to go over nikkas heads or trying to do too much in general.
It's putting importance on something that's not. That is the definition of pretentious. And if that means calling most of sci-fi pretentious I got no problem with that. :manny:

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
straight up season one was BORING as fukk the whole way through...admittedly i do not like Westerns..so that element immediately made me tune out...but once some of the revelations started to unfold toward the middle to end of season 1 i started to get into it..

watch season two episode one and im just sitting there like :dahell: ...was still thoroughly bored and just felt like i didnt care anymore...

like 20mins into epside 2 of season two and i came to the conclusion: fukk this show. i'll potentially binge it later...im not in the right mindstate for it. its a cool show but it aint for me right now. thats me being optimistic.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There is literally nothing pretentious about "Westworld". Besides jumping around in time....which anyone can follow if they pay attention....it's one of the most straight forward shows on TV. I could understand this criticism for "Legion" or "Twin Peaks"....cats are basically taking "I don't like this show and/or think it's boring" and shoehorning the word pretentious into the conversation.

Fred.
Pretentious will change in meaning much like the word ironic did because people are using it wrong.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's putting importance on something that's not. That is the definition of pretentious. And if that means calling most of sci-fi pretentious I got no problem with that. :manny:
In that vain you see no problem in torturing animals?