Is there a more pretentious “good show” than Westworld on tv right now?

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
It’s labored tedious story lines with a lot of twists and symbolism that lead to same old simple concepts we’ve seen before about AI/human existence/human’s playing God

Some of the dialogue too

“They said so as above below!:gladbron:

Anthony Hopkins and Bernard’s human original are God and Satan :gladbron:

It thinks it’s cleverer than it is
This reads like a bunch of projecting to me:mjlol:

The Fire

way more chemical than political
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
Atlanta. Yeah, I said it.
At least Atlanta is fun and relatable
Westworld is so fukkin boring, you can’t just ride a concept or premise for a whole series, you still need strong writing, characters, narratives

• Dap
Reactions: Man

The Fire

way more chemical than political
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
I'm definitely not. And neither are you. AI being a thing to worry about is decades if not centuries away. There is no danger of radical self-awareness yet. Engineers are excited about robots being able to jump over a log or learn how many legs it has without you telling it.
lol breh. We are on the brink of an AI revolution. Like in our lifetimes
the progress we’ve made in the last 5-10 in the field years dwarfs all the years of research before it...it is very relevant and pressing

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
I think what you said is what makes the show pretentious. It is a very straight forward show and at times, meanders around a vague plot pointlessly, but through some stylistic touches and some plot decisions seems to sort of...wear the clothes of a more high-concept program than it really is at times.

So really, at times the show is the very definition of pretentious. I think it's saving grace is that the writers themselves seem aware of this and have a little fun at their own expense.

I think part of the issue is people EXPECT great depth and heft out of a show of this scale, and Westworld really is about world-building and fukkery. So even though they don't really go for next level high-concept shyt, the nature of TV in 2018 makes people feel as though they should/need to/are trying and failing.
What vauge plot point?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
lol breh. We are on the brink of an AI revolution. Like in our lifetimes
the progress we’ve made in the last 5-10 in the field years dwarfs all the years of research before it...it is very relevant and pressing
I guess Westworld or something like it is right around the corner then?
And that's not even my point. My point was their own personal identity/agency is not a real question. They would never be treated like a real person. It's not a question that needs answering.

Last edited:

Man

Internet Liar
Daps
Oh wow

What a season finale

I can admit I was wrong y’all. This show is not pretentious at all and I actually enjoyed the clear intelligent concepts on consciousness and AI conveyed in a non-laboured, non-overbearing yet entertaining way.

This show is now better than The Wire & Sopranos for me.

Bring on season 3, 4, 5 and even 6

:thumbsup: