Is there a more pretentious “good show” than Westworld on tv right now?

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
It's putting importance on something that's not. That is the definition of pretentious. And if that means calling most of sci-fi pretentious I got no problem with that. :manny:
Artificial Intelligence isnt important? What year are you living in, my dude?:dwillhuh:

Be unaware you're living out an episode of Black Mirror, brehs:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Artificial Intelligence isnt important? What year are you living in, my dude?:dwillhuh:

Be unaware you're living out an episode of Black Mirror, brehs:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:
I'm definitely not. And neither are you. AI being a thing to worry about is decades if not centuries away. There is no danger of radical self-awareness yet. Engineers are excited about robots being able to jump over a log or learn how many legs it has without you telling it.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I can see an argument for pretentious being made because of the out of sequence structure of the show. It can be argued that they don't have a compelling story to tell sequentially, so they have to tell it out of order to make it seem more complex and mind blowing than what it really is. That in addition to having the show rely so heavily on mysteries and fan theories to generate the buzz and interest, with many of them boiling down to the same trick of revealing that a character is not what we think they are, or not dead when we presumed they were dead.

Carefully withholding information (or if I'm being uncharitable, convoluted out of sequence storytelling devices), high production values, excellent acting, and contemplative monologues can distract people for awhile in thinking that the show has something reaaaaaaally deep to say, when actually, what they have to say is more style than substance. Teasing the audience with more questions than answers can work for awhile, but it's only so long fake deep shows can pretend.

I'm actually not ready to commit to that argument because I like a lot of what the show has done. I like the questions they ask and generally enjoy the dialogue (depending on the character). I'm still waiting for more pieces to come together before I decide if the storytelling devices are worth it but I can see how some could have already decided after 1 and a half seasons that the beats and repetition they employ to tell this otherwise simple story make the show pretentious.

Especially when the intelligent aspects of the show are marred by some really stupid writing decisions and plot holes. The Delos security team and the scientists working at the parks seem like incompetent imbeciles most of the time, so half of the time I'm asking if I missed something or if this smart show is just so smart then I should give it the benefit of the doubt in ignoring when something seems stupid. I can see how others skip that and immediately say the show is dumb and not as smart as it presents itself to be.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I'm definitely not. And neither are you. AI being a thing to worry about is decades if not centuries away. There is no danger of radical self-awareness yet. Engineers are excited about robots being able to jump over a log or learn how many legs it has without you telling it.
How long away we are from AI becoming self aware has nothing to do with its importance. Millions of people use AI every day right now. You've most likely used it multiple times since you woke up today. Science fiction has always been about taking very real scientific principles and extrapolating them into possible future uses. To say AI isn't important is ridiculous, breh. Westworld isnt your cup of tea, that's perfectly fine, but no one has really given me a legit example of it being pretentious:yeshrug:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
How long away we are from AI becoming self aware has nothing to do with its importance. Millions of people use AI every day right now. You've most likely used it multiple times since you woke up today. Science fiction has always been about taking very real scientific principles and extrapolating them into possible future uses. To say AI isn't important is ridiculous, breh. Westworld isnt your cup of tea, that's perfectly fine, but no one has really given me a legit example of it being pretentious:yeshrug:
Really? So a deadline doesn't make a required action at a the specified time more important as the deadline approaches? I think so. Time and importance are definitely correlated.
And AI in the sense of being worried about its future uses is definitely not important right now. Like you said it is a fiction writers extrapolate to based on what is currently available.
I think it is pretentious and it is definitely your perogative to think the opposite.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Just a lot of dumb people either not wanting to be intellectual stimulated, or entering a "room" with too high of a ceiling for them to understand. If you like Bioshock, Matrix and Ghost in the Shell, this is the series for you. Though I honestly don't know what some people expect. Explosions and kung fu action? Mind you shyt like Big Bang Theory and Power, are considered "good", with ridiculous plotlines and forced drama. Like what you like, but don't try to say a show written this well is "bad", pretentious? Yes, but only in the context that question human nature might be deemed as pretentious.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Animals are not human.
Do you consider people with artificial limbs less then human?

Deus Ex Machina (video game) gets into this quite well in the last installment. "Augs" (augmented people with robotic limbs) are fighting for their rights, and are even treated as sub human by the general populous. Great game, epic level writing.