Is the PG position really worth a max contract?

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Beyond Magic Johnson, no.

Watch the Suns fukk around and give Eric Bledsoe the max.He's a good, but he's not a true franchise player.Would only be the 3rd or 4th option on a championship caliber team.In reality, he's worth about 8 mill a year, but the league brought it on themselves.

NBA politics.Chickens coming home to roost
The Suns don't like to pay players more than they are worth or they will get rid of them. I can see them cutting tied with Bledsoe if the price is too much.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Suns don't like to pay players more than they are worth or they will get rid of them. I can see them cutting tied with Bledsoe if the price is too much.

I could see that happening.The way Dragic is playing right now could make that a easy decision.

There's been rumblings coming out of the Bledsoe camp that he wants a max deal.I think a team would be stupid to give him that.He's a good starter, but he'll never make any All Star/All NBA teams.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I could see that happening.The way Dragic is playing right now could make that a easy decision.

There's been rumblings coming out of the Bledsoe camp that he wants a max deal.I think a team would be stupid to give him that.He's a good starter, but he'll never make any All Star/All NBA teams.
The Suns aren't going to give him that. They want Hayward and is willing to pay the max for him. To me, Hayward is a young Dan Majerle. Not sure he's worth the max.

Ritzy Sharon

Don't Make Me Pull The Oud Out
Daps
Lawson is the engine of our offense and basically the only guy on the team that can consistency create his own shot since Young Gelato went down. even though we have the best PG depth in the league, we look like a lotto squad when Lawson is out or playing hurt. it's ridiculous how much we depend on him to be successful. worth every penny.

we counting Lawson's salary when McGee is straight stealing money from this team. :heh:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Steve Nash deserved the max during his Sun's run.
Chris Paul in 08, surrounded by the right talent could have won a championship.

A truly HOF, elite PG is always worth the max just like any other equivalent talent at another position. Incompetent GMs and the less frequency of truly great PG coming through the league have more to do with the lack of success with franchise PG than does anything inherent with the position.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Suns aren't going to give him that. They want Hayward and is willing to pay the max for him. To me, Hayward is a young Dan Majerle. Not sure he's worth the max.

83061ada_kobe-hilariously-confused-reaction-gif.gif

He has even less value than Bledsoe IMO:heh:

But it is Phoenix, and they love their white boys out there.Plus Hornacek used to coach Hayward...It adds up, but I think that would be dumb as fukk on the Suns part

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the key issue is being overlooked. It's not about the position of PG, it's about 6'nothin nikkas aka the majority of them. If you best player is only 6'0 that puts limitations on what you are able to do offensively and defensively. Then add to that you have more and more taller players who are able to give you what traditional PGs are known to provide. I'm really not sure what the argument to the contrary is. :yeshrug:

Yes we can talk about the top PGs not having championship casts but the rebuttal to that is what exactly does it takes to put a championship cast around a PG? If you replace Lebron with CP3 or Westbrook or Rose :usure: the Heat win it all the last couple years? How about in Dirk's spot in 2011? Or maybe Kobe's in 09, 10? Pierce in 2008? Duncan in 07? Wade in 06? And so on. Conversely who beats these Clippers with Bron, Kobe, or prime Dirk, Duncan in CP3's spot? Who beats the Thunder with any of those guys in Westbrook's place? With bigger guys you can move them around and have them play different roles if their skills happen to overlap(see Lebron/Wade). Smaller PGs aren't as versatile. Clips had to trade Bledsoe (who is beasting) because you can't have two small guards.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I need for the PG defenders to tell me What is a championship level Supporting cast needed for you to win a title or contend for one with a point as your best player INYO ?

For example CP3 is considered the best In the game. He has Blake a young 20/10 all nba NBA player and apparently it isn't enough.
And their next best players are Jamal Crawford, JJ Redikk and Deandre Jordan, with basically nothing after that. :stopitslime:

The Clippers aren't loaded by any means. The only reason they're a fringe contender is because of Paul.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And their next best players are Jamal Crawford, JJ Redikk and Deandre Jordan, with basically nothing after that. :stopitslime:

The Clippers aren't loaded by any means. The only reason they're a fringe contender is because of Paul.

And they would be a straight up contender with a top wing/big AND Bledsoe. Not shytting on Paul because I respect his game but it is what it is. :ld:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
And they would be a straight up contender with a top wing/big AND Bledsoe. Not shytting on Paul because I respect his game but it is what it is. :ld:
So they'd be a contender if they added a legit wing with a good PG...which is exactly what the problem is now. The same team that traded Bledsoe for Redikk...and pays Redikk and Dudley a combined $11 million.

The problem isn't Paul's max deal, it's the $30 million they have wrapped up in DJ, Redikk, Dudley, Crawford and Barnes.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC

I never said they were I was just asking what type of talent would be needed to be added to make them chip contenders. Tbh many people had them as contenders going into this year regardless.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
:what:

Loses a step? We talking about Curry's ankle issues here. If the argument is that you won't be giving Curry the max because of his ankles, than it won't be because he loses a step, it will because he won't be able to get out on the court. Transitioning into other positions doesn't even come into the equation. At position value, how's Curry's situation any different to Bynum's?

Bynum isn't getting anymore max deals, now is he? Curry even with the shoddy ankles is going to demand a max contract the next go around and he will probably get it. I love Curry's game, but no way I'd give him a max contract either :manny:

That wasn't the question.

Would either D-Will, Rose, Paul, Westbrook or Wall win a title in 06-07 with the Spurs?

The Spurs were only able to keep that core, because of the luck that came with the timing of when those players were drafted/developed, not because they didn't deserve or were worth a max contract. If you were to weigh their impact/production with the salaries on that title team (more so Parker than Ginobili), he was worth a lot more than 9 mil.

Just as if you were to take all 3 of them at their market peaks (or near), the Spurs wouldn't be able to keep them together. Parker was worth a max contract in 06-07, Spurs were just extremely fortunate that all the right factors came into play for him to still be on less than double digit money.

This is a ridiculous question breh since hindsight is 20/20, you can point to nearly any championship team and say "replace X with Y". You could say the Heat would have won a title last year with Harden at the two with how limited Wade was in the playoffs. This is like asking if the Pacers would be contenders with Melo instead of Paul George, you can't just look at good/title teams after the fact and say "Well drop them on there instead of"....how about building around a PG and getting those results to begin with. Nevermind the fact that you drop Rose/Wall/Paul onto the Spurs in 06-07 and it's still Duncan that the team is built around, not them. Also, Parker wasn't worth a max contract when he signed his extension in 2004, he wasn't even an all-star at the point and was laying eggs in the playoffs, shot 38% against Gary Payton/Derek Fisher that very same summer.

The point is that making a PG your franchise player and building around them is a losing proposition backed up by decades worth of history. Instead of using a time machine to travel backwards and placing a better player than Parker in his place, build a title team around a PG that would win a title.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
The point is that making a PG your franchise player and building around them is a losing proposition backed up by decades worth of history. Instead of using a time machine to travel backwards and placing a better player than Parker in his place, build a title team around a PG that would win a title.

You've embarrassed yourself with this thread, breh :snoop:

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I think the key issue is being overlooked. It's not about the position of PG, it's about 6'nothin nikkas aka the majority of them. If you best player is only 6'0 that puts limitations on what you are able to do offensively and defensively. Then add to that you have more and more taller players who are able to give you what traditional PGs are known to provide. I'm really not sure what the argument to the contrary is. :yeshrug:

Yes we can talk about the top PGs not having championship casts but the rebuttal to that is what exactly does it takes to put a championship cast around a PG? If you replace Lebron with CP3 or Westbrook or Rose :usure: the Heat win it all the last couple years? How about in Dirk's spot in 2011? Or maybe Kobe's in 09, 10? Pierce in 2008? Duncan in 07? Wade in 06? And so on. Conversely who beats these Clippers with Bron, Kobe, or prime Dirk, Duncan in CP3's spot? Who beats the Thunder with any of those guys in Westbrook's place? With bigger guys you can move them around and have them play different roles if their skills happen to overlap(see Lebron/Wade). Smaller PGs aren't as versatile. Clips had to trade Bledsoe (who is beasting) because you can't have two small guards.

I remember during the 2009 playoffs the nuggets put Dahntay Jones on Paul straight up and pretty much nuetralized him.

In the WCF they tried that bullshyt the first game with Kobe:russ: And he just either posted him up and scored shot over him or demanded double teams which opened up the game for ariza,Pau, and odom.

Size, particularly height MATTERS