Is the PG position really worth a max contract?

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Breh, look at how much difficulty LeBron and Wade had when they had to move off the ball when they joined up. At this point in time it's way too late for CP3 to learn to play off the ball, and the issue is once he's off the ball he'll just be a spot up shooter :ld:

So even if you could pair him with someone, moving him off the ball for some plays would result in what? Not like he has a post game :russ:

I don't think he needs to play off the ball. He just needs actual finishers/athletes around him instead of guys like Redikk and Dudley in the starting lineup. What if they trade Bledsoe for Afflalo instead of Redikk/Dudley and sign Corey Brewer? That's a much better team, especially defensively.

And why do they pay Redikk and Dudley $11 mil and $10 mil to Jordan aka role players? You don't see MIA paying their role playing PGs or big men like that. Why? Because their stars, especially Bron, are doing it all. Paul, as great as he is, can't do that. He is more dependent on those guys to do their jobs because frankly he can't. Add to that they couldn't keep him and Bledsoe. They had to trade a promising young PG for a couple middle of the road perimeter players in large part because you can't have an all 6'0 backcourt.

All those guys are overpaid. Bad management is bad management. :ld:

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
LOL you just said that Lebron, next to two top 15 players, doesn't need great roleplayers (which is false) like JJ and Dudley when CP3 only has Griffin next to him.

:ohhh: that explains it. You either didn't read or you couldn't properly comprehend what I said. :heh: I didn't say that the Heat don't need great roleplayers. I said they are not devoting that kind of money to their role players because they are not as much of a priority because their star players are able to do more. Good luck comprehending that.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
:ohhh: that explains it. You either didn't read or you couldn't properly comprehend what I said. :heh: I didn't say that the Heat don't need great roleplayers. I said they are not devoting that kind of money to their role players because they are as much of a priority because their star players are able to do more. Good luck comprehending that.

They aren't devoting that kind of money because of South Beach and ring chasers not because they're some savant GM masterminds or because their best players are extremely productive. If CP3 had similar 2nd and 3rd options like Lebron, the Clippers would be significantly better. I'm not seeing how that isn't basic logic?

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
:ohhh: that explains it. You either didn't read or you couldn't properly comprehend what I said. :heh: I didn't say that the Heat don't need great roleplayers. I said they are not devoting that kind of money to their role players because they are not as much of a priority because their star players are able to do more. Good luck comprehending that.
They have LeBron, Wade and Chris Bosh. Who are the complementary players on LAC that compare to Wade and Bosh?

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Yet, history says you're less likely to win when you build around a PG.
:ld:

It's easier to build around the other positions than it is a PG, we can't just throw out the last 30+ years of NBA history.

My whole point is still who are the generational point guards. After we have that list let's look at who those generational point guards are. Most either won titles or came damn close. Isiah Thomas got him back to back titles and was a few small breaks from having two more. Kidd made two finals. GP made the finals. Stockton back to back finals. Nash was close as hell to making finals. In reality not many players in general have lead their teams to titles. And those that have were usually paired with another superstar to make their runs. A great player is a great player at any position. IMO any great player at any position can carry their teams to the playoffs year after year which is what players like a Paul or a healthy Deron Williams had shown the ability to do. From there it's all about supporting casts. No one yet has really pointed to a point guard that was flat out matched by another superstar wing or big man where they weren't outmatched roster wise.

Most big men that won titles had a superstar wing player playing with them. Lebron had Wade. Jordan had Pippen. Kobe had a great front court. Give any of these point guards that kind of ammo and I'm sure one of them would walk away with some titles as well.

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
No I don't think so, unless you're playing like Magic. Some are worth pretty close to it, like Russy, OKC really missed him in the playoffs last year. Chris Paul had a big impact, but really their success lies in how well Blake plays and them role players contributing.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps

The Heat don't have that many tied in to role players like that because they have two other multidimensional star players next to Lebron. Give Paul a Wade and Bosh and you wouldn't need to spend much money on role players with him either.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They aren't devoting that kind of money because of South Beach and ring chasers not because they're some savant GM masterminds or because their best players are extremely productive. If CP3 had similar 2nd and 3rd options like Lebron, the Clippers would be significantly better. I'm not seeing how that isn't basic logic?

If Lebron was on the Clippers in place of CP3 they'd be significantly better. Conversely the Heat would be worse with CP3 in Bron's spot. I'm sure nobody wants to play in LA. :comeon: This ain't about which GMs are great and which ones suck, this is about the value of small guards. Are nikkas really not getting this? :snoop:

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
My whole point is still who are the generational point guards. After we have that list let's look at who those generational point guards are. Most either won titles or came damn close. Isiah Thomas got him back to back titles and was a few small breaks from having two more. Kidd made two finals. GP made the finals. Stockton back to back finals. Nash was close as hell to making finals. In reality not many players in general have lead their teams to titles. And those that have were usually paired with another superstar to make their runs. A great player is a great player at any position. IMO any great player at any position can carry their teams to the playoffs year after year which is what players like a Paul or a healthy Deron Williams had shown the ability to do. From there it's all about supporting casts. No one yet has really pointed to a point guard that was flat out matched by another superstar wing or big man where they weren't outmatched roster wise.

Most big men that won titles had a superstar wing player playing with them. Lebron had Wade. Jordan had Pippen. Kobe had a great front court. Give any of these point guards that kind of ammo and I'm sure one of them would walk away with some titles as well.

Melo and AI :troll:

At the end of the day, it's a lot of excuses for not winning breh.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
If Lebron was on the Clippers in place of CP3 they'd be significantly better. Conversely the Heat would be worse with CP3 in Bron's spot. I'm sure nobody wants to play in LA. :comeon: This ain't about which GMs are great and which ones suck, this is about the value of small guards. Are nikkas really not getting this? :snoop:

No, the Clippers with Lebron does not win a championship.

The Heat don't have that many tied in to role players like that because they have two other multidimensional star players next to Lebron. Give Paul a Wade and Bosh and you wouldn't need to spend much money on role players with him either.

Exactly, it's damn common sense :heh:

Hollywood Co

Primetime Reppin
Daps
Reppin
Eastside Atl -
No, the Clippers with Lebron does not win a championship.

Exactly, it's damn common sense :heh:

Bron is the best player in the league, any team he hops on makes a drastic improvement.

The Clippers with Lebron have the most athletic front line in NBA history and a PF sized SF bringing up the ball and playing playmaker most of the time. Add Reddikk and Collison/Crawford. Team is still Finals contenders imo

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Bron is the best player in the league, any team he hops on makes a drastic improvement.

The Clippers with Lebron have the most athletic front line in NBA history and a PF sized SF bringing up the ball and playing playmaker most of the time. Add Reddikk and Collison/Crawford. Team is still Finals contenders imo

That team doesn't beat the Spurs or Thunder. Not enough spacing offensively and the defensive principles that allows Miami to flourish don't work with that roster.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They have LeBron, Wade and Chris Bosh. Who are the complementary players on LAC that compare to Wade and Bosh?

Have you all watched the Heat the last two years? We aren't talking 08 Wade and Bosh here? You really think CP3 is gonna lead his team to a title with Wade failing to reach 20 for the majority of the playoffs and Bosh avg. fewer rebounds than him? :usure: The Pacers beat them pretty soundly with CP3 in Bron's spot. Conversely Bron and Blake would create all kinds of matchup issues that CP3 and Blake just can't.