Is the PG position really worth a max contract?

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
:stopitslime:

Plenty of people agree that PGs aren't worth building around, but hey, you like Trey Burke :russ:

Yeah, because all PG are built alike and what does Trey have to do with this thread? He's not the kind of PG being discussed in this thread. Stick to your own argument.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
Yeah, because all PG are built alike and what does Trey have to do with this thread? He's not the kind of PG being discussed in this thread. Stick to your own argument.

He's a PG, he has everything to do with this thread and he will be asking for max when the time comes :mjpls: or at the very least get that Ty Lawson money.

The point of the thread is PGs, he is a PG and thus I am sticking to my argument :ld:

Ritzy Sharon

Don't Make Me Pull The Oud Out
Daps
I remember during the 2009 playoffs the nuggets put Dahntay Jones on Paul straight up and pretty much nuetralized him.

In the WCF they tried that bullshyt the first game with Kobe:russ: And he just either posted him up and scored shot over him or demanded double teams which opened up the game for ariza,Pau, and odom.

Size, particularly height MATTERS
y'all are so disingenuous it's hilarious.

I would argue there was a slight talent difference between that Hornets squad with a hobbled Chandler and James Posey as the third option :dead: and that Lakers team. but I don't think you want to use the 2009 Nuggets as an example for your anti-PG agenda breh, since it was 2004 Finals MVP Chauncey Billups that came through and gave that fat slob Melo the only taste of success in his career. :heh:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
:stopitslime:

Plenty of people agree that PGs aren't worth building around, but hey, you like Trey Burke :russ:
I still think Chris Paul is definitely the exception, with Westbrook and Curry being maybes.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
He's a PG, he has everything to do with this thread and he will be asking for max when the time comes :mjpls: or at the very least get that Ty Lawson money.

The point of the thread is PGs, he is a PG and thus I am sticking to my argument :ld:

It's a dumb argument. Those aren't elite, generational PG. Would signing Rudy Gay or Pekovic to the max make any sense or get you a title? Hell no.

Then yall wanna throw out top 15 all time players at the wing and anchor spots and compare them to borderline all-stars LOL. I can't take serious anyone who says Magic, Oscar, Nash or CP3 weren't capable of getting the max and winning a title. Has more to do with the fact that GREAT lead guards don't come along as often as a wing or bigman and when they do, GMs are too damn inept to construct a roster to maximize their talents, or in Nash's case, injuries and suspensions.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I like Westbrook and Curry more than CP3, statistically CP3 has the best numbers ever for a PG, but his game of dominating the ball is just :scusthov:

I think the converted SGs is the way to go moving forward.
Would you rather have someone else pounding the rock on that team? Their roster is disgusting and they have no athletes on the perimeter. :scusthov:

They're extremely limited in my opinion.

jaguar paw

Music Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Optimistic But I Got Hands Tho
I'd say no unless you are in a small market with no intentions of ever becoming a real contender.

If you don't have at least a dominant 2 way wing, PF/C, or a once in a lifetime like skill set/body type like Dirk, Bird, Magic, Hakeem, Shaq etc...it's hard to win championships.

Last edited:

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
It's a dumb argument. Those aren't elite, generational PG. Would signing Rudy Gay or Pekovic to the max make any sense or get you a title? Hell no.

Then yall wanna throw out top 15 all time players at the wing and anchor spots and compare them to borderline all-stars LOL. I can't take serious anyone who says Magic, Oscar, Nash or CP3 weren't capable of getting the max and winning a title. Has more to do with the fact that GREAT lead guards don't come along as often as a wing or bigman and when they do, GMs are too damn inept to construct a roster to maximize their talents, or in Nash's case, injuries and suspensions.

Oscar didn't win until Cap arrived, if it weren't for big Lew Alcindor he would have retired ringless. He was not the best player on that Bucks team, and they weren't even built around him at that point. So, I don't get why he's among the people you listed him :ld: I already said Magic is an outlier, he clearly deserved maxed because he's pretty much an anomaly for his position @ 6'9".

It has more to do with the fact it's difficult to have your best player be 6'0"-6'3", like I said unless they are 6'5"+ I don't want anything to do with a max PG.

Edit - Chris Paul IS a generational PG......

Last edited:

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Would you rather have someone else pounding the rock on that team? Their roster is disgusting and they have no athletes on the perimeter. :scusthov:

They're extremely limited in my opinion.

Breh, look at how much difficulty LeBron and Wade had when they had to move off the ball when they joined up. At this point in time it's way too late for CP3 to learn to play off the ball, and the issue is once he's off the ball he'll just be a spot up shooter :ld:

So even if you could pair him with someone, moving him off the ball for some plays would result in what? Not like he has a post game :russ:

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So they'd be a contender if they added a legit wing with a good PG...which is exactly what the problem is now. The same team that traded Bledsoe for Redikk...and pays Redikk and Dudley a combined $11 million.

The problem isn't Paul's max deal, it's the $30 million they have wrapped up in DJ, Redikk, Dudley, Crawford and Barnes.

And why do they pay Redikk and Dudley $11 mil and $10 mil to Jordan aka role players? You don't see MIA paying their role playing PGs or big men like that. Why? Because their stars, especially Bron, are doing it all. Paul, as great as he is, can't do that. He is more dependent on those guys to do their jobs because frankly he can't. Add to that they couldn't keep him and Bledsoe. They had to trade a promising young PG for a couple middle of the road perimeter players in large part because you can't have an all 6'0 backcourt.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
And why do they pay Redikk and Dudley $11 mil and $10 mil to Jordan aka role players? You don't see MIA paying their role playing PGs or big men like that. Why? Because their stars, especially Bron, are doing it all.

This is by far the dumbest thing I've read.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
y'all are so disingenuous it's hilarious.

I would argue there was a slight talent difference between that Hornets squad with a hobbled Chandler and James Posey as the third option :dead: and that Lakers team. but I don't think you want to use the 2009 Nuggets as an example for your anti-PG agenda breh, since it was 2004 Finals MVP Chauncey Billups that came through and gave that fat slob Melo the only taste of success in his career. :heh:

But You could argue Chauncey wasnt the best player on that team(Wallace). They won with their historic defense that season and Ben was the anchor

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Don't like my point but you have no substantive rebuttal huh? :ld: Happens to the best of us. :yeshrug:

LOL you just said that Lebron, next to two top 15 players, doesn't need great roleplayers (which is false) like JJ and Dudley when CP3 only has Griffin next to him. If you can't see why you're a dumbass then there isn't any argument I can make that would convince you otherwise.

A team of CP3, Aldridge and PG is a championship team. There are tons of trios you could make where CP3 is the best player and wins the championship, unfortunately we don't live in a vacuum.