Is the John Cena revisionist history insane?

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
:russ:I really was indifferent to Cena because I had my own personal favorites that I was stannin' then (Punk, Batista, Edge, Carlito, etc) but I will say it was ALWAYS hilarious to me seeing so many people on youtube make videos angry crying and wishing death to Cena. Wack guys like Bruce Blitz and others like him STAYED looking and sounding like bytch made Jesse Pinkman every time Cena "overcame the odds" on the weekly...
he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it-fed-up.gif
CircularParchedAzurewingedmagpie-size_restricted.gif
2010 killed me when they chose him over my goat Batista :mjcry:

WMG the 2nd

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Cena was booed but hindsight people realized what it was
He was a modern hulk hogan with better ring work and ten times the mic work
Plus all accounts point to him being one of the few good natured and hearted stars ever lol

He set a standard in terms of being the face of the company that most of these guys chase

WMG the 2nd

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nah...he came to Raw in June 2005. He was very over as the rapper. He stopped rapping and called his fans "The Chain Gang" trying to rip off the Rock again with the People and the Hogan Hulkamanics. They went against him around Taboo Tuesday 05 when he did the Angle feud.
By this logic the rock ripped off hogan and by proxy ddp

Jesus H. Christ

I died for your sins
Daps
:russ:I really was indifferent to Cena because I had my own personal favorites that I was stannin' then (Punk, Batista, Edge, Carlito, etc) but I will say it was ALWAYS hilarious to me seeing so many people on youtube make videos angry crying and wishing death to Cena. Wack guys like Bruce Blitz and others like him STAYED looking and sounding like bytch made Jesse Pinkman every time Cena "overcame the odds" on the weekly...
he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it-fed-up.gif
CircularParchedAzurewingedmagpie-size_restricted.gif
Yeah this guy lived, eat, shyt, breathed Cena hate:picard:

RAW_970_Photo_144.jpg

:mjgrin:

But yeah I find it funny with the revisionism.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
By this logic the rock ripped off hogan and by proxy ddp
Nah...the Rock is more Ali than anything. Dr. Doom too really. Hogan was pushed to no end in the kayfave era...where it was easier to get over and trick fans. They tried to forced Rocky Maivia...the Rock basically stole the show from everybody heading into 98. It became undeniable after Summerslam 98. Different ball game completely.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Cena was booed but hindsight people realized what it was
He was a modern hulk hogan with better ring work and ten times the mic work
Plus all accounts point to him being one of the few good natured and hearted stars ever lol

He set a standard in terms of being the face of the company that most of these guys chase
Cena don't have a promo better than the Hogan heel turn promo. He had to shoot and go out the lines to get your attention and admiration..it was actually weak and showed how insecure and how he wasn't the best.

Cognito

All Star
Daps
:troll: Ultimate Warrior was an amazing draw who peaked higher than Hogan
He’s the goat
Cena haters using woat McMahon family booking and Wrestling becoming niche loser fandom against Cena

Lurk Angle

All Star
Daps
When they started micromanaging the dr of thugganomics and stripped everything interesting about him, that's when people started souring on cena
Dude was just boring for like 10 years lol
Me personally i hated his feud with edge where they just played hot potato with the title

I def stopped watching and started watching tna when they started broadcasting on directv i was watching roh too
This right here cena run ran me to seeing TNA and the indies

I remember seeing impact on spike at the time going:whoo::whew:

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Bret and HBK had the belt during HARD TIMES and they're still revered and celebrated :manny:
People, overall, didn't hate them.

Only children liked Cena. It was a chore watching wrestling thru the Cena era.

Everyone was constantly hoping each month he'd turn heel. He got cheered when he brought back the Dr. gimmick for one night in Rock promos.

I don't blame Cena as much as Vince pushing this on everyone for a decade.

He's def not a goat. Not even in my top 15 to be honest. I can't name a great Cena match, with great psychology.

I think he's a good dude tho outside the ring.

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
Aj styles opened Cena breh.

As a matter of fact.

That was the only time other than punk where the guy who went over Cena. Was not immediately buried in a program with Cripple ache.

Aj and Bubba are rhe only people to conquer the goblin when rhe goblin was present on rhe book in tna.
Or vkm was presiding over rhe book in wwe.

Other than that.
No top draw in wwe ever jobbed out in a losing array. Where they were never re-instated as the top draw no longer in perception or the book.

Aj is the only guy in our time to come from Japan as a former iwgp champion that was not Brock and dominate as well. As well as rhe only light heavy who captured the iwgp title and also was booked over the wwe top draw.

If you missed aj's run. You missed wwe history. As no one will ever go over a dominant home grown wwe top draw convincingly. Who came from another promotion and never was on rhe wwe main roster other than developmental or enhancement talent. Plus aj voluntarily left vkm for the indies. Immediately establishing himself as rhe top draw in the indies after the run with Danielson. Aj the goat is rhe best talent ever in wrasslin.

art barr
Art Barr

Couple things about the bolded:

1) Styles jobbed out to Cena in 2017 or 2018; I forget the year but I remember the Smackdown belt being hot potatoed for a couple months at the beginning of the year
2) In 2002, Styles was nothing more than a developmental talent, and Vince would have had nothing to do with him signing a developmental deal. Guessing Styles would have turned down Jim Ross who I think was doing talent relations at that time. Him turning them down was due to not wanting to relocate to Ohio for family reasons. He stayed on the indies/TNA because it was a better schedule for him and he was able to remain living in Georgia.

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
This right here cena run ran me to seeing TNA and the indies

I remember seeing impact on spike at the time going:whoo::whew:
I was watching both when tna first got their fox sports deal
Then when the boring terror of underdog cena started i was like fukk this and never went back to wwe untill cm punk started to really take off after they got rid of the shytty ecw brand

Last edited:

DaylitoJames

#SnitchGang Elite
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sneak Nation
I was watching both when tna first got their fox sports deal
Then when the boring terron of underdog cena started i was like fukk this and never went back to wwe untill cm punk started to really take off after they got rid of the shytty ecw brand
It was around this time period was when I was really getting invested into Pro Wrestling Guerrila, New Japan and Pro-Wrestling NOAH as well. Looking back I guess this is another reason I don't hate Cena because his existence made me seek out and look for other wrestlers to become fans of and with YouTube being my source of discovery it help me broaden my love of wrestling and its variety of styles and characters.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
His childhood fans are young adults now & are the loudest on social media. shyt happens with every generation. For example, we got clowns on here thinking Triple H was the GOAT when he put us through the worst era of wrestling.
I hated the fukk out of triple h. Man did his job