Is the John Cena revisionist history insane?

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Oldheads have to remember their favs are not the kids who are now adults GOATS :yeshrug:

Everyone my age liked him, different eras :manny:

This.

U're welcome.

Art Barr

*on another note.

Kid reaction for Cena is a joy in life as a parent. That if you missed.
You lost out.

Did not even know my daughter watched wrasslin.

Yet if them horns hit anywhere.

Her and her friends will all sing his name tho.

Kids sing *

John cena

It is awesome to hear. I did not even know kids sang his name like that.

Cena was a joy giver to kids frfr.

Can't deny him that.

Not cena's fault. The company owner was an inept silver spoon covered in nepotism.

Art Barr

DaylitoJames

#SnitchGang Elite
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sneak Nation
:russ:I really was indifferent to Cena because I had my own personal favorites that I was stannin' then (Punk, Batista, Edge, Carlito, etc) but I will say it was ALWAYS hilarious to me seeing so many people on youtube make videos angry crying and wishing death to Cena. Wack guys like Bruce Blitz and others like him STAYED looking and sounding like bytch made Jesse Pinkman every time Cena "overcame the odds" on the weekly...
he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it-fed-up.gif
CircularParchedAzurewingedmagpie-size_restricted.gif

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
Y'all bringing up Bruce Blitz takes me waaaaaaaaay back :mjlol:

But I saw it all in real time from 03 to 13 when I just fukking quit. I loved Cena up until 05 when he came to Raw and he became insufferable. It was wash rinse repeat every promo, feud and match. Don't need to add to what everyone else said. I'm right there too.

With that said, people talk about his run as US Champ and stuff, and I will always say that, yes it takes 2 to tango but he was in there with the Indy darlings. Owens, Zayn, Styles, Bryan and Punk are a lot different that HHH, Miz, Edge, Orton, Batista and Khali.

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
It’s a ton of revisionist history. The crowd turned on him within 2-4 months of coming to raw. He was turned into a white meat babyface who always overcame the odds and won clean as a whistle while not looking like he belonged in the ring with his opponents either. Then the 2008-11 period came which was even worse than 2005-07. During the 2005-15 period I can’t think of a single opponent where he was overwhelmingly cheered aside from maybe Umaga or Khali, which is a major indictment of how he was booked. It wasn’t entirely his fault, but he needed to step in and say that they should’ve done shyt different. His act had gotten stale by 2006-07 and it never really changed while I wouldn’t say anyone but edge really benefitted from working with him since he went over every heel multiple times clean as a whistle.

Strangely enough once they started to get away from him as the top guy and let him change up his match style and do more on the mic than tell bad jokes & not take his opponent seriously before beating him clean multiple times, he became a lot more interesting. It’s a shame they didn’t let him showcase that while he was the top guy. The whole show would’ve benefitted from it as opposed to the top heels being cheered by default since the crowd was tired of the top face, which throws everything out of alignment and makes for a near disorienting viewing experience.

This is probably the most accurate description of Cena's revisionist history. Just have to add in the people that were fed into the InCenarator that never recovered and the fact even when they moved him away from the top guy, he was still burying people on the mic; three that come to mind right away are AJ Styles, Miz (during whatever mania that mixed tag match was), and most recently Austin Theory.

El Cocodrilo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
99% of criticisms people have about Cena are really criticisms of WWE and cokeboy himself and how they made everything about Cena, not Cena's fault.

Cena the man himself played his position perfectly for a LONG time, and earned the prestige his matches carried towards the end of his career imo.

You put some other schmuck in the same shoes as Cena, and his matches with RVD, Punk, Bryan, Lesnar, etc. just do not carry the same weight that they did.

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
its a combination of the kids people used to make fun of being his fan base now being grown adults, and the fact that once roman came around and was appointed as the next guy, all that heat went to him

the adults that used to boo cena out of buildings 10-15 years ago are all :flabbynsick: now

just wait till 10 years from now when the roman nostalgia hits :wow:, even the big dog era gonna be celebrated :whew:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
This is probably the most accurate description of Cena's revisionist history. Just have to add in the people that were fed into the InCenarator that never recovered and the fact even when they moved him away from the top guy, he was still burying people on the mic; three that come to mind right away are AJ Styles, Miz (during whatever mania that mixed tag match was), and most recently Austin Theory.

Aj styles owned Cena breh.

As a matter of fact.

That was the only time other than punk where the guy who went over Cena. Was not immediately buried in a program with Cripple ache.

Aj and Bubba are rhe only people to conquer the goblin when rhe goblin was present on rhe book in tna.
Or vkm was presiding over rhe book in wwe.

Other than that.
No top draw in wwe ever jobbed out in a losing array. Where they were never re-instated as the top draw no longer in perception or the book.

Aj is the only guy in our time to come from Japan as a former iwgp champion that was not Brock and dominate as well. As well as rhe only light heavy who captured the iwgp title and also was booked over the wwe top draw.

If you missed aj's run. You missed wwe history. As no one will ever go over a dominant home grown wwe top draw convincingly. Who came from another promotion and never was on rhe wwe main roster other than developmental or enhancement talent. Plus aj voluntarily left vkm for the indies. Immediately establishing himself as rhe top draw in the indies after the run with Danielson. Aj the goat is rhe best talent ever in wrasslin.

art barr

Last edited:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
its a combination of the kids people used to make fun of being his fan base now being grown adults, and the fact that once roman came around and was appointed as the next guy, all that heat went to him

the adults that used to boo cena out of buildings 10-15 years ago are all :flabbynsick: now

just wait till 10 years from now when the roman nostalgia hits :wow:, even the big dog era gonna be celebrated :whew:

Please rant a match.

As none of you guys ranted none of these wwe matches or the wwe shows.

To know if it is good. As none of y'all wrote about it.

Are the matches really good.

Or is this just wwe bias.

It can't be good.
If it was never ranted about in print.

Oh and seeing as text is tone deaf.
I and i am not attacking.
i just wanna read the rants in the classic matches and promos/vignettes.

Like bray died.

none of y'all ranted on none of his matches or his comeuppance.

That how do we know if it was really that good.
If no one here wrote the actual rants on the matches and shows.

Plus we all missed out.

on reading the rants of these occurences.

Art Barr

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
I'm just glad it's over with, but looking back dude could actually wrestle and put on good matches

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
When they started micromanaging the dr of thugganomics and stripped everything interesting about him, that's when people started souring on cena
Dude was just boring for like 10 years lol
Me personally i hated his feud with edge where they just played hot potato with the title

I def stopped watching and started watching tna and when they started broadcasting on directv i was watching roh too

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Cena Era / ruthless aggression was the best Era no debate . Let me debunk all this bs real quick.

in 2006 when he came to raw he was booed by the raw crowd , up to that point raw was still the home of the more traditional wreslers and fans , smackdown was more of a young urban demographic. it slowly changed to raw being the A show just because cena was on it.

He was the face for a decade plus. so how can u really compare the ticket sales

i know more people that stopped watching wresling when he left than when he was there . but he was there for a whole generation of course those fans 10-20 grew up and did other things
Nah...he came to Raw in June 2005. He was very over as the rapper. He stopped rapping and called his fans "The Chain Gang" trying to rip off the Rock again with the People and the Hogan Hulkamanics. They went against him around Taboo Tuesday 05 when he did the Angle feud.