Is the John Cena revisionist history insane?

elizjon

Pro
Daps
It’s a ton of revisionist history. The crowd turned on him within 2-4 months of coming to raw. He was turned into a white meat babyface who always overcame the odds and won clean as a whistle while not looking like he belonged in the ring with his opponents either. Then the 2008-11 period came which was even worse than 2005-07. During the 2005-15 period I can’t think of a single opponent where he was overwhelmingly cheered aside from maybe Umaga or Khali, which is a major indictment of how he was booked. It wasn’t entirely his fault, but he needed to step in and say that they should’ve done shyt different. His act had gotten stale by 2006-07 and it never really changed while I wouldn’t say anyone but edge really benefitted from working with him since he went over every heel multiple times clean as a whistle.

Strangely enough once they started to get away from him as the top guy and let him change up his match style and do more on the mic than tell bad jokes & not take his opponent seriously before beating him clean multiple times, he became a lot more interesting. It’s a shame they didn’t let him showcase that while he was the top guy. The whole show would’ve benefitted from it as opposed to the top heels being cheered by default since the crowd was tired of the top face, which throws everything out of alignment and makes for a near disorienting viewing experience.
All this is facts other than the notion that Edge benefited from feuding with Cena. He didn’t put Edge over when he needed to at Unforgiven 06. Edge had yet to prove he could truly hang with the main eventers because he won most of his matches in a sleazy way.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
All this is facts other than the notion that Edge benefited from feuding with Cena. He didn’t put Edge over when he needed to at Unforgiven 06. Edge had yet to prove he could truly hang with the main eventers because he won most of his matches in a sleazy way.
I don’t think it really mattered that edge won sleazy because it fit his character and it wasn’t with a ton of run in finishes. He also got a classic heel style win over cena at summerslam in Boston. It’s not really an issue that he lost in the end because the bad guy is generally supposed to lose more often, but he got a few big wins in along the way, which is more or less not the case with any other rival cena had. All the others seemed pretty one sided besides Randy, but they never had good matches against each other.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
giphy.gif

elizjon

Pro
Daps
I don’t think it really mattered that edge won sleazy because it fit his character and it wasn’t with a ton of run in finishes. He also got a classic heel style win over cena at summerslam in Boston. It’s not really an issue that he lost in the end because the bad guy is generally supposed to lose more often, but he got a few big wins in along the way, which is more or less not the case with any other rival cena had. All the others seemed pretty one sided besides Randy, but they never had good matches against each other.
not really. even if they’re supposed to be an immoral and even somewhat p*ssy heel they still gotta show that they’re capable of getting fair wins like HHH, Orton and Lesnar were able to do. Instead they gave him the Jericho as undisputed champ style booking and it made him look weak and unworthy. The better example would’ve been CM Punk since Cena actually put him over relatively clean.