Is the John Cena revisionist history insane?

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
I hated the fukk out of triple h. Man did his job
I hate this take. I really really do. Bad tv is bad tv and people hate bad tv.

Kane - Katie Vick - Bad TV
Booker - "You people...." - Bad TV
Steiner - Both guys are injured and immobile - Bad TV
RVD - Super fukking over but fukk him - Bad TV
Orton - Bury him EVERY SINGLE TIME! - Bad TV

Batista and Benoit are the only 2 that mostly escaped. HBK was his friend and Flair was his idol so he did great business with them, but everything else was dog shyt.

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
We All Know It’s 100% True But We Respect The Guy :yeshrug:

The Young People That Came Up On His Run See It Differently So It Is What It Is

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Batista and Benoit are the only 2 that mostly escaped. HBK was his friend and Flair was his idol so he did great business with them, but everything else was dog shyt.
I watched just to see who could take the belt off him because I hated him. I was planning to get him in real life for what he did to booker t.

He did his job

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

The Steiner feud he was healthy for. It was July that year he got hurt so he could hardly move for his matches with Goldberg. That one is on Steiner being hurt and then just not having any chemistry.

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You gotta give Cena credit for being the last superhero for kids. He hasn't been around much since 2017, and nobody has taken that spot. Not just anybody can do it.

Him being a true GOAT is definitely revisionist bullsh1t though.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
It’s a ton of revisionist history. The crowd turned on him within 2-4 months of coming to raw. He was turned into a white meat babyface who always overcame the odds and won clean as a whistle while not looking like he belonged in the ring with his opponents either. Then the 2008-11 period came which was even worse than 2005-07. During the 2005-15 period I can’t think of a single opponent where he was overwhelmingly cheered aside from maybe Umaga or Khali, which is a major indictment of how he was booked. It wasn’t entirely his fault, but he needed to step in and say that they should’ve done shyt different. His act had gotten stale by 2006-07 and it never really changed while I wouldn’t say anyone but edge really benefitted from working with him since he went over every heel multiple times clean as a whistle.

Strangely enough once they started to get away from him as the top guy and let him change up his match style and do more on the mic than tell bad jokes & not take his opponent seriously before beating him clean multiple times, he became a lot more interesting. It’s a shame they didn’t let him showcase that while he was the top guy. The whole show would’ve benefitted from it as opposed to the top heels being cheered by default since the crowd was tired of the top face, which throws everything out of alignment and makes for a near disorienting viewing experience.
This. All of this. As someone who came up watching during the Ruthless Aggression era, early Cena was loved with no objection because the white rapper gimmick people latched onto. However, once he got drafted to Raw and Batista got sent to Smackdown and it became clear WWE chose to have Cena as the new Golden Boy it was over. The fans rejected it, then he had that movie The Marine, and WWE thought that turning him into the ultimate baby face would work out but it didn't. Cena kept going over everybody and the fans kept rejecting him, and he got stale. That was when WWE started their spin of "Well whether you love him or hate him!!!! This crowd is hot, they give a reaction!!!". Cena deserves ultimate credit for being the guy for so long and giving it his all but he was not loved like that at all during the "CENA WINS LOL" era.

But then like you and others said it started to change once he did the US Open Challenge and started to work with the new group of guys coming in. He started to do a lot more in the ring and his promos got a little more edgy. I'd say he's been looked at pretty favorably since then.

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
His childhood fans are young adults now & are the loudest on social media. shyt happens with every generation. For example, we got clowns on here thinking Triple H was the GOAT when he put us through the worst era of wrestling.
He put us through bullshyt 3 times 😂😂😂 the first in the late 90s when he first got with steph
Then when he made his fake ass 4 horseman stable
Then with the authority

What made the 2nd one the worst was that was also during peak reign of cena

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
It’s a ton of revisionist history. The crowd turned on him within 2-4 months of coming to raw. He was turned into a white meat babyface who always overcame the odds and won clean as a whistle while not looking like he belonged in the ring with his opponents either. Then the 2008-11 period came which was even worse than 2005-07. During the 2005-15 period I can’t think of a single opponent where he was overwhelmingly cheered aside from maybe Umaga or Khali, which is a major indictment of how he was booked. It wasn’t entirely his fault, but he needed to step in and say that they should’ve done shyt different. His act had gotten stale by 2006-07 and it never really changed while I wouldn’t say anyone but edge really benefitted from working with him since he went over every heel multiple times clean as a whistle.

Strangely enough once they started to get away from him as the top guy and let him change up his match style and do more on the mic than tell bad jokes & not take his opponent seriously before beating him clean multiple times, he became a lot more interesting. It’s a shame they didn’t let him showcase that while he was the top guy. The whole show would’ve benefitted from it as opposed to the top heels being cheered by default since the crowd was tired of the top face, which throws everything out of alignment and makes for a near disorienting viewing experience.
They stripped everything interesting about him and made him the face of the company and they wondered why he was getting booed.
I just remembered we used to call him like cooler cause every time someone who was hot got into a program with him they'd cool off and they're buzz would be gone

Cena was getting booed so bad duri g 05-15 they started pumping in cena cheers

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cena, Batista and Orton is all I know, fukk yall

the-basement-you-gone-get-yours.gif
Batista is another one
I remember when he was being called botchtista cause he was always fukking up in the ring.
He aint start getting love like that untill everyone know he was leaving and he was just like fukk it and went out there during his last feud and didn't give a fukk.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Cena don't have a promo better than the Hogan heel turn promo. He had to shoot and go out the lines to get your attention and admiration..it was actually weak and showed how insecure and how he wasn't the best.

Cena is better Tham hogun because cena never had to really go back.
to being the prototype heel persona. cena originally drew after debuting and gwtting over in ove developmental. As a matter of fact in timeline Cena is ahead if hogun in every possible way with less in less time. Unlike hogun, who in timeline had to run to wcw. To get ahead of the dead draw hogun was in the wef. after crippling the book as the otange goblin from workrate to parade merchandise and finish politically.
was then forced to go back to being sterling golden. After fukking up the quality of each and every work program In the entirety of the wwf's lineage and foundation. It set wrasslin back to the stone ages.
as far as quality of work. That still to this day. Wwe viewers are still prisoner too till this day.

Plus completely bias will latching on to that racists political undermining of an entire business for his orange goblin personal gain.

fukk hogun.

#NoWatchGang.

Art Barr

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
This. All of this. As someone who came up watching during the Ruthless Aggression era, early Cena was loved with no objection because the white rapper gimmick people latched onto. However, once he got drafted to Raw and Batista got sent to Smackdown and it became clear WWE chose to have Cena as the new Golden Boy it was over. The fans rejected it, then he had that movie The Marine, and WWE thought that turning him into the ultimate baby face would work out but it didn't. Cena kept going over everybody and the fans kept rejecting him, and he got stale. That was when WWE started their spin of "Well whether you love him or hate him!!!! This crowd is hot, they give a reaction!!!". Cena deserves ultimate credit for being the guy for so long and giving it his all but he was not loved like that at all during the "CENA WINS LOL" era.

But then like you and others said it started to change once he did the US Open Challenge and started to work with the new group of guys coming in. He started to do a lot more in the ring and his promos got a little more edgy. I'd say he's been looked at pretty favorably since then.
Aside from stripping away everything that got him over practically overnight, the worst thing they could have done was switch him and Batista when both had become staples on their show. It screamed of them trying to send the message of the big gold belt, Batista and smackdown being inferior. They’d also just finished the reign of terror only to immediately start feeding everyone’s favorites on raw to someone who hadn’t even been there which made it feel like the end of evolution was a bait and switch. At the same time aside from his program with Eddie, Batista didn’t benefit from switching shows either. He seemed to lose all sense of direction until his heel turn 4 years later.

Last edited:

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
Batista is another one
I remember when he was being called botchtista cause he was always fukking up in the ring.
He aint start getting love like that untill everyone know he was leaving and he was just like fukk it and went out there during his last feud and didn't give a fukk.

:mjlol: