Is PC Gaming A Rich Man's Hobby?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know if I'd recommend it unless you have $$$$ to throw away.

My boy gave me an entire rig minus the gfx card.

I thought "hmm I'll get a cheap one see whats up"

Bought a 1050ti $160

Wasn't running the games at a high framerate that I wanted.

I7 processor $350
Cooling system $200
1080ti $500
1440p monitor $500
Ssd m.2 hd $180

It's good at 1440p, but for 4k it's not the greatest.

They have the new 30 series cards coming out, which are up to $1500

I'm not sure if you wanna get into this! You'll spend some money, but it's worth it if you use it. Just my 2 cents

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Yes it is. To really get the best out of it. To really see the difference from a console you have to have spent some money. In comparison a console will always play every game at its max capacity while a pc will eventually need to be upgraded. It’s not a rich (millionaire) hobby. But you have to spend about 2k on it where as a console is about 4-500

also it cost a lot of time to get the hang of things, downloading different launchers. Constant updates and if you want to mod that can be a very tedious process if the mods aren’t on nexus.

Last edited:

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Definitely not. I go all out on custom gaming rigs. I recently got real heavy into the audiophile hobby. My headphone amp alone costs more than my entire pc setup right now. I’m just into headphones too. Rich mother fukkers got mono blocks worth $30K each (if not more), speakers over $20K, dacs for $50K, etc.

There are definitely some very expensive hobbies out there, and in comparison, PC gaming isn’t that expensive. You throw $15K at a new rig and monitor, and you can have the absolute best setup. To get the best possible speaker setup, you’re looking at like $1m or more

You into car, boats, watches, jewelry, etc? That’s gonna cost more than pc gaming too

This....

I think I spent $2,200 on building a gaming rig and buying a Playseat/Logitech racing seat setup and I consider it not that expensive. My most expensive hobbies are home theater, photography, and motorcycles, probably got $20K-$25K wrapped up in all that.

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I assumed all of gamers are like

south-park-s10e08c05-the-slaughter-16x9.jpg

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
right now if I wanted to build a top-of-the-line PC from scratch i'm lookin at $1800-2000... :patrice::wow:

are hardcore pc gamers just rich or what? who has that kinda disposable income to spend on a rig that will be obsolete in 1-2 years :smh:
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about...

That shyt would be future proof for damn near a decade at $2000

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Gamer:"I can't, too much money man"

Same gamer:*buys $200 controller, buys 4KTV, buys 4K120hz TV 3 years later, buys 5.1 surround system, buys fight stick, buys $150 headsets, buys $350 slim console, buys $500 mid gen refresh, buys multiple controllers, buys $60 games often, pays for subscription plans*

Metal Face

Superstar
Daps
No :gucci:
I built my shyt for $1000 and my cousin just bought a great pre-built one for $500

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
I use mine for productivity and gaming, I’ve already made the money back that I sunk into my desktop off my video editing work alone. The benefit of investing in a powerful pc is that you can easily monetize it whether it’s productivity apps, (back in the day) bitcoin mining, etc... unless you’re a competitive twitch streamer, good luck monetizing your console.

The irony of that is that both the ps5 and x1x will technically have enough power to do 4K video editing... if those companies are smart they would find a way to market them as affordable photo/4K editing platforms. Dreams on PS4 makes the case that a console CAN actually double as an NLE/DAW. The bigger problem is simply the monitors (TVs) and sound systems a lot of people would be using... the color accuracy is terrible on the average consumer 4K or even 1080p panel. There’s a reason why IPS monitors are still the go-to for editing

Last edited:

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
I use mine for productivity and gaming, I’ve already made the money back that I sunk into my desktop off my video editing work alone. The benefit of investing in a powerful pc is that you can easily monetize it whether it’s productivity apps, (back in the day) bitcoin mining, etc... unless you’re a competitive twitch streamer, good luck monetizing your console.

The irony of that is that both the ps5 and x1x will technically have enough power to do 4K video editing... if those companies are smart they would find a way to market them as affordable photo/4K editing platforms. Dreams on PS4 makes the case that a console CAN actually double as an NLE/DAW. The bigger problem is simply the monitors (TVs) and sound systems a lot of people would be using... the color accuracy is terrible on the average consumer 4K or even 1080p panel. There’s a reason why IPS monitors are still the go-to for editing

This....

All I use for photo and video editing, Dell Ultrasharp Series.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
It's a bargain. The game play style is completely different with a mouse and keyboard. It's a computer, it's storage, videogame console, you can work from it. It will age longer than any other technology device you have with it's layer of compute.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I wouldn't say rich per se. You can PC game on less expensive set ups.

BUT

If you're intermediate to hardcore, it was never a hobby for people without some money to burn. I remember going to computer expos in the 90's and people spending a rack on a frggin DVD drive and a copy of Robocop 3.