Is PC Gaming A Rich Man's Hobby?

bogey_j

new love, same neurosis..
Daps
right now if I wanted to build a top-of-the-line PC from scratch i'm lookin at $1800-2000... :patrice::wow:

are hardcore pc gamers just rich or what? who has that kinda disposable income to spend on a rig that will be obsolete in 1-2 years :smh:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I think it can become expensive if people go deep into the rabbit hole. It's not unlike the custom cars scene or the photography scene or any other hobby nowadays. Top of the line in any field is going to be unreasonably expensive relative to the minimum suggested requirements.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
[QUOTE="bogey_j, post: 38983188, member: 1292"]right now if I wanted to build a top-of-the-line PC from scratch i'm lookin at $1800-2000... :patrice::wow:

are hardcore pc gamers just rich or what? who has that kinda disposable income to spend on a rig that will be obsolete in 1-2 years :smh:[/QUOTE]

A top of the line GPU, the 3090, going to cost that much by itself :childplease:

Top of the line pc is a all ssd build, thats going to cause you another g or 2 :childplease:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Pc gaming is like a gateway drug.

Initially just being able to get something decent is good enough. Which if you starting with nothing is going to run you at least a grand for everything.

That then turns into playing and gaming and quickly slowly starting to realize your card needs to be updated, or you need a better mouse, or 4k/120hz monitor, or low input delay monitor, more ram etc etc.

It's most definitely a upper class to rich man's hobby and always has been. Console gaming has always been middle income to lower income hobby. PC gaming also requires some time and knowledge to get into.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Just me and my Switch just me and my Switch just me and my Switch.

Meanwhile my PC and PS4 Pro collect dust even though they have superior graphics.

It's all about ease-of-use and convenience to me.

I'm out of town right now, at a hotel. fukk I look like lugging all that shyt with me when I need a gaming fix? Switch got my back I can play it anywhere.

Genos

Superstar
Daps
I just started PC gaming early this year and no. The only expensive part is building the PC. Games are cheap af and there are hella sales on PC and humble bundles. If you get steam automated plugin you can see all the sales going on for the game you want:banderas:. Game in steam might be 60 and 10 on another store. Plus there are no gens so you can play old games with ease.

msims

Bmore nicca
Daps
if you can't make back 2000 dollars within a year after making the purchase, you have too many problems to be gaming in the first place

I mean, when you think of it....most things in the world of entertainment cost a hefty fee to participate in.

Are we acting like $400-$500 consoles are cheap?

What about the $400-$1000 phones?

Someone mentioned cars, driving them ain't cheap either.

Not having enough money is a huge problem for this country....jobs often don't pay enough......but also, I think people suck at saving money.

If you wanted it bad enough, you'd save 4-5 paychecks to get it. It's just harder for some people who are not disconnected from other needs.

Damn, now I'm thinking "what is rich".....I know nikkas who be trippin over a $20 vial of weed. To them, saving $200-$300 a month for a computer is crazy.

Also, to them finding a nice outfit for the weekend for under $100 is a good find.

I guess it all depends on perspective and what you want the most.

Damn, I rant too much.​