in the early 90's if you weren't street/thug/calling women bytches, you weren't popping -Kid N Play

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
This whole thing about Hip Hop being "more lyrical" in the 90s. Nope. The genre simply hit a pop base
through radio and videos.

There was very little in the early 90s as "lyrical" as Kane, Rakim, Melle Mel, The Treacherous Three and Spoonie Gee
on "New Rap Language," or LL on The Rock The Bells Remix (not the original). They were emcees, not rappers.

"Rappers" (not emcees) became big in the 90s to scare white parents and please their rebellious offspring.

So Kook Keith ..Big L..Lord Finesse and Casual DIDNT EXIST DURING THE 90s ?!?!
:stopitslime:

How old are u fool? :why:

The 90s it could be argued was the MOST LYRICAL DECADE!!!

It was the era of the multis

Daps

How old are u fool?

:why:
these dudes got to seriously be trolling.. because, i truly believe... even they dont believe half the sh!t their typing..

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The game and culture changer in the early 90s.

N.W.A.’s ‘EFIL4ZAGGIN’ Upped the Ante For Gangsta Rap In the Mainstream
By Preezy May 28, 2016 10:41 AM

“Why do I call myself a nikka, ya ask me?” MC Ren muses on “nikkaz 4 Life,” the title-track from EFIL4ZAGGIN, N.W.A.’s explosive sophomore LP. The album came at a time when hip-hop culture was emerging as a dominant force in mainstream America; it’s popularity spreading among fans of all colors and creeds. This fact was solidified with the release of nikkaz4Life, which coincided with the implementation of Soundscan, a tracking system that accounts for all record sales. N.W.A.’s previous albums both racked up over one million copies sold, but nikkaz4Life‘s first-week numbers would prove to be historic.

Totaling over 954,000 copies sold and debuting at No. 2 on the Billboard 200, the highest-charting album debut since pop megastar Micheal Jackson’s Bad in 1987, Eazy, Dr. Dre, MC Ren, and DJ Yella shocked the music industry’s number crunchers, who were astounded at the sheer pandemonium that an album from a gangster rap group could generate

Although Beastie Boys were the first rap group to attain top billing with the No. 1 album in the country, N.W.A. would become the first gangsta rap act to achieve the feat, doing so without mass radio airplay or any huge crossover singles, which spoke to the anticipation that the group’s 1990 EP, 100 Miles and Runnin’ had built.

That EP, which can be seen as a bridge between their classic debut, Straight Outta Compton, and nikkaz4Life, was framed as a response to former group member and lead lyricist Ice Cube’s decision to jump ship amid financial dispute with group founder Eazy-E and their manager, Jerry Heller. Dropping his solo debut, AmeriKKKa’s Most Wanted, in May of 1990, Ice Cube would quickly become a breakout solo star, with AmeriKKKa’s Most Wanted going platinum without a proper lead single and limited promotion or airplay. He would also become one of the first rappers to be cast in a key role in a major motion picture with his appearance in John Singleton’s rugged coming-of-age flick, Boyz n the Hood, the title ironically inspired by the hit Eazy-E song that he had penned years earlier.

N.W.A.'s 'EFIL4ZAGGIN' Upped the Ante For Gangsta Rap In the Mainstream

you have to look at hiphop from it's core (the real roots/fanbase of the music) vs mainstream (when casual white listeners consumed it). The majority of hiphop back then viewed hiphop from it's core and not it's pop fan base. When Dre/Death row was hitting those casual listeners and doing monster numbers, hiphops core fanbase was still rocking to these street classics

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
:stopitslime:

How old are u fool? :why:

Big L was great but gone too soon.

You probably are too young to know that (not "Kook") Kool Keith was the lead in a great group called the Ultramagnetic MCs

Their first hit, "Ego Trippin'" was in 1986. Kool Keith is a product of 80s Hip Hop. Kool Keith still "exists" today
but nobody says he is of the current era.

Lord Finesse is on tapes with DITC through the Bronx in the late 80s when he gets signed to Wild Pitch.

I'll correct myself. The 70s even were more lyrical than the 90s. The 70s are the prime era for live battles
and emcees recording 7, 10, 12 minute joints.

Spoonie Gee in 1979.

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
Big L was great but gone too soon.

You probably are too young to know that (not "Kook") Kool Keith was the lead in a great group called the Ultramagnetic MCs

Their first hit, "Ego Trippin'" was in 1986. Kool Keith is a product of 80s Hip Hop. Kool Keith still "exists" today
but nobody says he is of the current era.

Lord Finesse is on tapes with DITC through the Bronx in the late 80s when he gets signed to Wild Pitch.

I'll correct myself. The 70s even were more lyrical than the 90s. The 70s are the prime era for live battles
and emcees recording 7, 10, 12 minute joints.

Spoonie Gee in 1979.

:whoa: for your own health and safety I suggest you STOP POSTING NOW

I WILL BE 43 years old in November dude

I been listening to hip hop before you was a Twinkle in your Deadbeat Daddy's nutsack :ufdup:

Im a real former B BOY from that time period ...I was all about them breaks breh...

Go try to educate someone else with your flawed perspective

And don't tell me about no gottdamn Ultramagnetic MCs when I was like first in line at the WIZ record store in BK near Kings Plaza to cop CRITICAL BEATDOWN LP after hearing Chuck Chillout spin some of Thier singles on his Friday night mixshow during my time living in the tristate..

Then would come down south and put all my cousin's and friends on to them when I would spin parties and do the radio show at night.....

You owe me an apology.....

Lil n1gga :scust:

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
the problem wasn't so much street music suppressing kid n play....

the problem was KID N PLAY's camp didn't know how to capitalize off of them....hurby luv bug initially tried to market them as a male version of SALT N PEPA which was a gimmick in itself...the 90s was transitioning into care er minded artists who could last....

back then the 90s were sooo good cause STREET RAP could coexist with HAPPY RAP...

guys like chuck chillout and myself would play a ABOVE THE LAW RECORD or MOB STYLE RECORD along with a LATIFAH or SKEE LO record or HAMMER.....

THERE WAS BALANCE!!

SAME THING WITH KID N PLAY I remember first hearing kid n play single following a hardcore PUBLIC ENEMY single and followed up with a hardcore ULTRAMAGANETIC MCEES single on kiss fm new york

kid n play was never meant to last.......their was no growth and development

Facts.

Their music didn't have the depth of a Tribe, De La, or Brand Nubian.

They didn't have the club/party music appeal of a Heavy D

They didn't the social consciousness of a Queen Latifah.

They didn't have swagger/suaveness of a Nice & Smooth.

They didn't have the sex appeal of a LL.

Even their sister group Salt N Pepa managed to stay relevant until 94-95. Their was room in the game for a non-gangsta group, Kid N Play just wasn't it.