in the early 90's if you weren't street/thug/calling women bytches, you weren't popping -Kid N Play

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
why would i be mad, at a clown.. :dahell:

@IllmaticDelta tagged me in here.. why the fukk would i follow YOU, or anyone around who dont know shyt about hip-hop..? :mjlol:

i already addressed what he said.. so have others.. you just cant comprehend what was going on, and rely on hearsay of niche artists.. because.. YOU WERENT AROUND BACK THEN..

lets just settle this.. how old were you in 1991..? actually.. dont even bother answering.. because your timelines all fukked up.. you dont even know when Native Tongues even formed.. you thought Tribe was aound in the 80s.. and, had no clue of what was poppin in '95..

you a fraud.. its really that simple.. take it as you may.. again.. YOU WASNT AROUND BACK THEN..

:rudy:You're making yourself look crazy.

I was very much so alive in the 80's and I listed what was hot in 95 based on sales and chart positions.

And the native tongues movement did formulate in 1989 - look it up.

I can't front, these are some petulant arguments you're making, I actually thought you were a smarter more respectable poster than this :francis:

And for whatever reason you're refusing to address what was said in that unsung episode...

Daps
:rudy:You're making yourself look crazy.

I was very much so alive in the 80's and I listed what was hot in 95 based on sales and chart positions.

And the native tongues movement did formulate in 1989 - look it up.

I can't front, these are some petulant arguments you're making, I actually thought you were a smarter more respectable poster than this :francis:

And for whatever reason you're refusing to address what was said in that unsung episode...
basically.. you wasnt around..

thats all i need to know..

im not even up to discuss hip-hop with you.. you want to be right.. the last 2 days alone.. ive seen numerous respected posters, who know whats up.. trying to kick knowledge to you.. you think you know more than than people who actually lived through that era.. most, even personally know the cats you talking about.. :gucci:

look, man.. i aint wasting no more time going back & forth with you, about anything regarding hip-hop.. and, you can have the last word.. as im sure you intend to..

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
1155.gif

Kid N play maxed out tho.
Exactly

I remember how popular Kid N Play was during the height of gangsta rap. Kid n Play was selling mad records, had a cartoon. And movies back when Nwa, Dj Quik, Cypress Hill, Ice Cube and Geto Boys was going platinum also

Kid N Play maxed out because they became known more as a comedy team than a Hiphop group

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
let me as a 40 something year old who actually worked in radio ...an AM radio station to be exact during that time to put this into perspective....

shoutout to the baddest program director of all time Ronald "Fly" :salute:

@hustlemania SPEAKS FACTS ....if you weren't present in that era (early 90s) to able to witness as well as participate in hip hop

you SHOULD BE VERY QUIET.......

none of these video documentaries or wikpedia summaries can actually depict what was going on back then....

hip hop wasn't even seen as a GENRE as evident in the grammys refusing to broadcast the rap catergories on tv which was protested by will smith and moe dee and a host of others...who chose to boycott by not showing up at all

can't buy into these "perspectives"

especially when they are coming from biased sources

the "unsung testimony" of Kid N Play only tells half the story.....

yes I do agree that their was some poloarization occurring once Gangsta Rap started making it's presence felt in the early 90s

because artists such as Heavy D....Salt n Pepa...Will Smith and Kid N Play were labeled as "happy rap" by the media

but their is no excuse as to why KID N PLAY couldn't have succeeded other than the fact that they didn't make timeless records

Heavy d. had radio staples like "we got our own thing" and "i got nothing but love for ya"...salt n pepa is known for "push it and "shoop"

will smith got a plethora of big hits going back to this days in the 80s with parents just don't understand which went big on the pop charts

KID N PLAY just fell shor of the mark ....

I know this cause I worked directly with radio programming at the AM radio station back in the day .....

and unlike other "happy rappers" whom were charting like Hammer.....kid n play didn't register high on the bds spins inspite of the fact they had a visible brand with a hit movie and kid's trademark look......

even at their height they usually only got played on the mix shows late at night like the one I deejayed on

the problem wasn't so much street music suppressing kid n play....

the problem was KID N PLAY's camp didn't know how to capitalize off of them....hurby luv bug initially tried to market them as a male version of SALT N PEPA which was a gimmick in itself...the 90s was transitioning into care er minded artists who could last....

back then the 90s were sooo good cause STREET RAP could coexist with HAPPY RAP...

guys like chuck chillout and myself would play a ABOVE THE LAW RECORD or MOB STYLE RECORD along with a LATIFAH or SKEE LO record or HAMMER.....

THERE WAS BALANCE!!

SAME THING WITH KID N PLAY I remember first hearing kid n play single following a hardcore PUBLIC ENEMY single and followed up with a hardcore ULTRAMAGANETIC MCEES single on kiss fm new york

kid n play was never meant to last.......their was no growth and development

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
^^^^ and all of them flopped.

:whoa: now before you clear your counter and threaten to kill me...I remember all of this coming on BET, and I liked it too

but go back to what Kwame' said in the video - he said if you wasn't on that bullshyt in so many words, YOU WASN'T POPPIN'

he didn't say you didn't exist or you didn't have a record deal - labels were already invested in these artists and had them under contract

but i can pretty much assure you that when all of these artists contracts were up - they didn't get renewed and got replaced by rappers that were "poppin'"

:what:

das efx went platinum

and more important to the main stream society - the number 1 tv show for teens/young adults had dudes spitting their lyrics on the show

the fact that wealthy rich privilege white kids living in Beverly Hills were listening to poor black rough & rugged sewer nikkaz in Brooklyn

only meant you could make it, without street/thug/calling women bytches etc... Nonsense that was said

Daps
let me as a 40 something year old who actually worked in radio ...an AM radio station to be exact during that time to put this into perspective....

@hustlemania SPEAKS FACTS ....if you weren't present in that era (early 90s) to able to witness as well as participate in hip hop

none of these video documentaries or wikpedia summaries can actually depict what was going on back then....

hip hop wasn't even seen as a GENRE as evident in the grammys refusing to broadcast the rap catergories on tv which was protested by will smith and moe dee and a host of others...who chose to boycott by not showing up at all

yes I do agree that their was some poloarization occurring once Gangsta Rap started making it's presence felt in the early 90s

because artists such as Heavy D....Salt n Pepa...Will Smith and Kid N Play were labeled as "happy rap" by the media

but their is no excuse as to why KID N PLAY couldn't have succeeded other than the fact that they didn't make timeless records

Heavy d. had radio staples like "we got our own thing" and "i got nothing but love for ya"...salt n pepa is known for "push it and "shoop"

will smith got a plethora of big hits going back to this days in the 80s with parents just don't understand which went big on the pop charts

I know this cause I worked directly with radio programming at the AM radio station back in the day .....

and unlike other "happy rappers" whom were charting like Hammer.....kid n play didn't register high on the bds spins inspite of the fact they had a visible brand with a hit movie and kid's trademark look......

even at their height they usually only got played on the mix shows late at night like the one I deejayed on

the problem was KID N PLAY's camp didn't know how to capitalize off of them....hurby luv bug initially tried to market them as a male version of SALT N PEPA which was a gimmick in itself...the 90s was transitioning into care er minded artists who could last....

back then the 90s were sooo good cause STREET RAP could coexist with HAPPY RAP...

guys like chuck chillout and myself would play a ABOVE THE LAW RECORD or MOB STYLE RECORD along with a LATIFAH or SKEE LO record or HAMMER.....

THERE WAS BALANCE!!

SAME THING WITH KID N PLAY I remember first hearing kid n play single following a hardcore PUBLIC ENEMY single and followed up with a hardcore ULTRAMAGANETIC MCEES single on kiss fm new york

:salute:

myself & @IllmaticDelta been trying to school these folks.. but, the ego is a fragile thing around here.. :francis:

funny thing is.. were only talking 26yrs ago.. thats really, not that long ago.. and, look at how people are already trying to shift the narrative of hip-hop.. this the same sh!t that happened with the jazz, rock, etc.. :scust:

hey.. they wanna be dumb, and obnoxious.. let em.. like Chris Rock said, "n!ggas looooooove to keep it real.. real dumb.."

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
well he made his most money in the early '90s.

I think he meant to say mid-90s.

and hes still wrong, and halfway making excuses. while the well was dry for their lane, and 90% of the the rappers in their lane vanished; you still had a few that were able to stick around. salt n pepa had their biggest run in '93-94. heavy d stayed poppin all thru the gangsta gangsta era.

btw, UNSUNG always blames gangsta rap for the downfall of any artist that faded away in the '90s or late '80s. even the r&b acts. LOL. word to @tremonthustler1

plus kid n play was pretty old. dudes were pushing 30 around house party 3. it was about time for them to GET OUT.

Kid n play is just making excuses for being underachivers

A few good singles ...but they weren't album orientated and lacked the star power of HAMMEE and WILL SMITH whom didn't call women b1tches but still were Popping

kid n play's 1st album is CLASSIC front-2-back.

Exactly

I remember how popular Kid N Play was during the height of gangsta rap. Kid n Play was selling mad records, had a cartoon. And movies back when Nwa, Dj Quik, Cypress Hill, Ice Cube and Geto Boys was going platinum also

Kid N Play maxed out because they became known more as a comedy team than a Hiphop group

i'd say the height of gangsta rap was '93-96

Last edited:

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
Exactly

katt-uhh-no.gif

Kid N Play NEVER went platinum and Thier highest charting record Funhouse took a year and some months just to go GOLD....

But in Thier Defense as I said earlier they had a Horrible camp...SELECT RECORDS and Hurby couldn't capitilize off Thier brand..

Mainly from personal experience SELECT RECORDS was horrible when it came to availability...

When I was at the station they took forever to service a record to ya and didn't do shyt to promote it..

Most record stores in the South and Midwest didn't have access to Thier product cause they failed to distribute alot of Thier artists such as UTFO AND CHUBB ROCK in these markets

I was a huge fan of the single "Bugging" by Whistle ..I was visiting down south for the summer and could hardly find that single even in the major chains like Peppermint records in ATL

And if an artist had an album you could forget it

SELECT released very few albums simply cause they didn't wanna secure a budget for them...they were good simply eating off of 12 inch singles like most NYC based labels at the time

As @hustlemania stated RECORD SALES wasn't a priority back then in the early 90s for rap music from the labels perspective

So Kid N Play wasn't MAXED OUT they actually operated in the RED

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
:what:

das efx went platinum

and more important to the main stream society - the number 1 tv show for teens/young adults had dudes spitting their lyrics on the show

the fact that wealthy rich privilege white kids living in Beverly Hills were listening to poor black rough & rugged sewer nikkaz in Brooklyn

only meant you could make it, without street/thug/calling women bytches etc... Nonsense that was said

:patrice: Didn't pharcyde go platinum too? I was talking about them as artists and acts on major labels, I explained that in my following sentence.

Nobody even TALKS about these artists any more...

You all keep dodging my point and it's futile to keep doing so - if you were ultra lyrical, or party oriented and "safe", you got replaced.

May as well put ton loc, hammer, vanilla ice and young MC in here, they sold tons of records - it doesn't negate my point

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

THERE WAS BALANCE!!

I was tryna make that idiot understand. Will Smith had his BIGGEST hits and records in the 90s. Early 90s and late 90s.