in the early 90's if you weren't street/thug/calling women bytches, you weren't popping -Kid N Play

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Hold up..I'm openly issuing a challenge:

Somebody please post an interview, article or anything from a nationally known industry insider be it a journalist, artist, producer anybody from that era who's said that hip hop DID NOT shift toward "gangsta" rap DURING the early 90's. And that this is a widely known myth or flat out lie.

This will cut down on all the anger and emotion and we can move the actual discussion forward
How bout this. How bout u listen to muthafukkas who ACTUALLY LIVED THRU IT. Instead of reading articles and watching videos. That shyt is as big a myth as the whole "NY was bias" argument. Acting like we didn't fukk wit everything back then cause a SELECT FEW DJ's n shyt was hating. But if u lived here and lived thru it. U would know the truth. It's called rewriting history lil nikka.

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
I was tryna make that idiot understand. Will Smith had his BIGGEST hits and records in the 90s. Early 90s and late 90s.

And you wanna know another fun fact (no pun intended) That Should CLOSE THIS IDIOTIC THREAD

Kid N Play ONLY landed the HOUSE PARTY roles because WILL SMITH and DJ JAZZY JEFF turned it Down...

Kid N Play NEVER gained STARDOM off their music alone..they were not popping like that

My Program Director Had a Entertainment News Show We Use To Syndicate That Told This Story

And Jeff confirms and details the real reason they turned it down because New Line cinemas was suing them and made them an offer either break off some cash or do this film..

Movie Legends Revealed | 'House Party' Nearly Starred DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince

Daps
:what: the fukk u talkin bout? Do u even know anymore? Summertime came out in the early 90s in the midst of all the gangsta rap shyt and it did perfectly fine. wtf are u talkin bout at this point? I brought up both early and late 90s. Summertime ALONE destroys ur early 90s argument. God damn kid. Are u retarded? Will Smith was a successful artist all thruout the 90s musically and movie wise. Queen Latifah dropped a classic album on the 90s. U dumb as shyt.
man.. its easier to just let dude wallow in his own ignorance..

all hes gonna keep doing is moving the goal posts, and saying yall are mad.. shyt is corny, and played out at this point..

lil dude wasnt around.. no need in even having a convo, with someone who wasnt there like that.. :shaq2:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
But none of this has anything to do with this discussion - Urban radio stopped playing his music after '91 - this is not opinion, it's fact,

it's actually what that whole song is about, he knows he has BIG records, but they didn't connect with BLACK audiences

That's a lie. Urban radio did play his songs after 91. .

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
Wrong. They fell off because hip hop shifted in a more lyrical direction. shyt was young and still evolving. And I guarantee if they still dropped some heat. They would've been fine. MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice was like some of the biggest selling hip hop artists of all time. Nothin gangsta about they music. White people loved them muthafukkas tho. Black people too. U 2 are off base bro.

This whole thing about Hip Hop being "more lyrical" in the 90s. Nope. The genre simply hit a pop base
through radio and videos.

There was very little in the early 90s as "lyrical" as Kane, Rakim, Melle Mel, The Treacherous Three and Spoonie Gee
on "New Rap Language," or LL on The Rock The Bells Remix (not the original). They were emcees, not rappers.

"Rappers" (not emcees) became big in the 90s to scare white parents and please their rebellious offspring.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
That's a lie. Urban radio did play his songs after 91. .

So hot 97 was playing Men in Black? I'm asking seriously.

How bout this. How bout u listen to muthafukkas who ACTUALLY LIVED THRU IT. Instead of reading articles and watching videos. That shyt is as big a myth as the whole "NY was bias" argument. Acting like we didn't fukk wit everything back then cause a SELECT FEW DJ's n shyt was hating. But if u lived here and lived thru it. U would know the truth. It's called rewriting history lil nikka.

Here you go fam, put those ducking and dodging question skills to use..you also come across as not too bright and overly emotional...you'll climb the ladder in no time

Jobs

Daps
And you wanna know another fun fact (no pun intended) That Should CLOSE THIS IDIOTIC THREAD

Kid N Play ONLY landed the HOUSE PARTY roles because WILL SMITH and DJ JAZZY JEFF turned it Down...

Kid N Play NEVER gained STARDOM off their music alone..they were not popping like that

My Program Director Had a Entertainment News Show We Use To Syndicate That Told This Story

And Jeff confirms and details the real reason they turned it down because New Line cinemas was suing them and made them an offer either break off some cash or do this film..

Movie Legends Revealed | 'House Party' Nearly Starred DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
this aint gonna fit his narrative.. :mjgrin:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
This whole thing about Hip Hop being "more lyrical" in the 90s. Nope. The genre simply hit a pop base

There was very little in the early 90s as "lyrical" as Kane, Rakim, Melle Mel, The Treacherous Three and Spoonie Gee
on "New Rap Language," or LL on The Rock The Bells Remix (not the original). They were emcees, not rappers.

"Rappers" (not emcees) became big in the 90s to scare white parents and please their rebellious offspring.
Son fukk is u talkin bout? Ra went gold in the 90s. LL went platinum all thru the 90s. Kane fell off for DIFFERENT reasons. HE fukked his career up by ODin and tryna be too mainstream by doing wild shyt. Melle Mel couldn't keep up musically. Cause Run DMC was still able to cultivate hits in the 90s. Heavy D did just fine. KRS One, Queen Latifah, MC Lyte, G Rap did as well. Special Ed was still doin his thing. Etc etc. And yes. There WAS a lyrical revolution and evolution in hip hop and u would be retarded to disregard it. Lol @ no one in the 90s being more lyrical than Melle Mel when there was people in the 80s who were. If u had some dope shyt. People fukked wit it. Simple and plain. nikkas blaming gangsta rap is a fukkin copout.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN

These dudes also don't understand the concept of a "shift" either, like the shyt happened overnight

It started after the massive success of NWA's album in '91 and then the chronic and doggystyle - they weren't the ONLY rappers on the radio or going platinum - but they towered over everyone else and it created that shift TOWARD that gangster/harder sounding hip hop

Kwame's unsung goes more in depth on this shyt, Biggie said a line about his polka dots and it literally ended his career - he tried to come back as a "hard" rapper and it didn't work.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
So hot 97 was playing Men in Black? I'm asking seriously.

Here you go fam, put those ducking and dodging question skills to use..you also come across as not too bright and overly emotional...you'll climb the ladder in no time

Jobs
Yes. They did play Men In Black. shyt WAS played on Urban radio. And I didn't duck anything. I made a point. One which ur ducking. And I'm not emotional at all. Ur a confirmed idiot tho.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Hold up..I'm openly issuing a challenge:

Somebody please post an interview, article or anything from a nationally known industry insider be it a journalist, artist, producer anybody from that era who's said that hip hop DID NOT shift toward "gangsta" rap DURING the early 90's. And that this is a widely known myth or flat out lie.

This will cut down on all the anger and emotion and we can move the actual discussion forward

Hiphop on the whole didn't shift to gangsta rap. Gangsta rap on the West Coast added a newer dynamic and substyle but outside of Dre/Deathrow associated acts, Gangsta Rap wasn't as consuming/altering of hiphop on the whole as it's sometimes made out to be.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Yes. They did play Men In Black. shyt WAS played on Urban radio. And I didn't duck anything. I made a point. One which ur ducking. And I'm not emotional at all. Ur a confirmed idiot tho.

Ah, so will smith is a liar. Cool.

Go ahead and get your last word but I'm moving on past this back n forth.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
The game and culture changer in the early 90s.

N.W.A.’s ‘EFIL4ZAGGIN’ Upped the Ante For Gangsta Rap In the Mainstream
By Preezy May 28, 2016 10:41 AM

“Why do I call myself a nikka, ya ask me?” MC Ren muses on “nikkaz 4 Life,” the title-track from EFIL4ZAGGIN, N.W.A.’s explosive sophomore LP. The album came at a time when hip-hop culture was emerging as a dominant force in mainstream America; it’s popularity spreading among fans of all colors and creeds. This fact was solidified with the release of nikkaz4Life, which coincided with the implementation of Soundscan, a tracking system that accounts for all record sales. N.W.A.’s previous albums both racked up over one million copies sold, but nikkaz4Life‘s first-week numbers would prove to be historic.

Totaling over 954,000 copies sold and debuting at No. 2 on the Billboard 200, the highest-charting album debut since pop megastar Micheal Jackson’s Bad in 1987, Eazy, Dr. Dre, MC Ren, and DJ Yella shocked the music industry’s number crunchers, who were astounded at the sheer pandemonium that an album from a gangster rap group could generate

Although Beastie Boys were the first rap group to attain top billing with the No. 1 album in the country, N.W.A. would become the first gangsta rap act to achieve the feat, doing so without mass radio airplay or any huge crossover singles, which spoke to the anticipation that the group’s 1990 EP, 100 Miles and Runnin’ had built.

That EP, which can be seen as a bridge between their classic debut, Straight Outta Compton, and nikkaz4Life, was framed as a response to former group member and lead lyricist Ice Cube’s decision to jump ship amid financial dispute with group founder Eazy-E and their manager, Jerry Heller. Dropping his solo debut, AmeriKKKa’s Most Wanted, in May of 1990, Ice Cube would quickly become a breakout solo star, with AmeriKKKa’s Most Wanted going platinum without a proper lead single and limited promotion or airplay. He would also become one of the first rappers to be cast in a key role in a major motion picture with his appearance in John Singleton’s rugged coming-of-age flick, Boyz n the Hood, the title ironically inspired by the hit Eazy-E song that he had penned years earlier.

N.W.A.'s 'EFIL4ZAGGIN' Upped the Ante For Gangsta Rap In the Mainstream

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Hiphop on the whole didn't shift to gangsta rap. Gangsta rap on the West Coast added a newer dynamic and substyle but outside of Dre/Deathrow associated acts, Gangsta Rap wasn't as consuming/altering of hiphop on the whole as it's sometimes made out to be.

All I'm asking for is some articles and interviews, YouTube videos or anything from industry insiders that we all know or worked for publications and entities that are known that co-sign your point of view :manny:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

HipHop was more creative, diverse in styles, eclectic and lyrical from 90-94 than the 80's, overall