in the early 90's if you weren't street/thug/calling women bytches, you weren't popping -Kid N Play

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
I was tryna make that idiot understand. Will Smith had his BIGGEST hits and records in the 90s. Early 90s and late 90s.

It's so funny you keep bringing up will smith when he HIMSELF spoke on his career and hip hop on his last album on the track "I wish I made that"

"Black radio, they won't play me though, ever since summertime they ain't liked none of mine/even though the fans went out and bought enough, I guess they think will ain't hard enough...just ingnant attacking acting tough, I mean then will I be black enough?"

Will smith is seen as CORNY and old news in hip hop, those were white people that bought those albums, ain't no black people playing "get jiggy with it" or "Miami", and they STILL play those songs at parties...

But I guess will smith got it wrong too..one of you coli robed greybeards from the snowy mountain tops school us on how big willie is wrong here about his OWN career?

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
It's so funny you keep bringing up will smith when he HIMSELF spoke on his career and hip hop on his last album on the track "I wish I made that"

"Black radio, they won't play me though, ever since summertime they ain't liked none of mine/even though the fans went out and bought enough, I guess they think will ain't hard enough...just ingnant attacking acting tough, I mean then will I be black enough?"

Will smith is seen as CORNY and old news in hip hop, those were white people that bought those albums, ain't no black people playing "get jiggy with it" or "Miami", and they STILL play those songs at parties...

But I guess will smith got it wrong too..one of you coli robed greybeards from the snowy mountain tops school us on how big willie is wrong here about is OWN career?
See. This is how I know u don't know what u talkin bout. Yea. He was looked at as corny. But the radio DID play him after that. And guess when Summertime came out? The fukkin 90s!. In the middle of all the "gangsta rap" shyt. But back to the main point. nikka u ever heard of the Men In Black? He had a MAJOR hit with that song and soundtrack and people fukked wit it. Gettin Jiggy Wit It? That shyt got played. Just The Two Of Us. Miami. Wild Wild West feat Sisqo. That was a hit even tho the movie sucked. People still fukked wit Will. People looked at him as corny. But people still fukked wit dude regardless. People even looked at him as corny in the 80s but they still fukked wit him. shyt. He enlisted a so called "gangsta rapper" in Nas to pen his biggest album to date. In the 90s. Like I said. U don't know wtf u talkin bout. U don't know what the climate was like. Please stfu.

kingjones29

All Star
Daps

But I guess will smith got it wrong too..one of you coli robed greybeards from the snowy mountain tops school us on how big willie is wrong here about his OWN career?
will smith still a legend i am legend

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
See. This is how I know u don't know what u talkin bout. Yea. He was looked at as corny. But the radio DID play him after that. And guess when Summertime came out? The fukkin 90s!.

I stopped reading right here...you DO realize this is a thread about the EARLY. 90's.

Hip hop changed DURING the early 90's

So will smith is saying that black radio stopped playing him since the EARLY. 90.s

You can't even keep up with the basics of this discussion, this convo just may be over your head fam. Sit this one out. :coffee:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
:what: the fukk u talkin bout? Do u even know anymore? Summertime came out in the early 90s in the midst of all the gangsta rap shyt and it did perfectly fine. wtf are u talkin bout at this point? I brought up both early and late 90s. Summertime ALONE destroys ur early 90s argument. God damn kid. Are u retarded? Will Smith was a successful artist all thruout the 90s musically and movie wise. Queen Latifah dropped a classic album on the 90s. U dumb as shyt.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
:what: the fukk u talkin bout? Do u even know anymore? Summertime came out in the early 90s in the midst of all the gangsta rap shyt and it did perfectly fine. wtf are u talkin bout at this point? I brought up both early and late 90s. Summertime ALONE destroys ur early 90s argument. God damn kid. Are u retarded?

:mjlol: You're enraged.

Look. Let's simplify this: is will smith wrong in saying this about his career?

Yes or no. Calm down and let your face stop shaking if you need to before you respond.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
:jbhmm: what's funny is that i just watched "THE DEFIANT ONES" and they talk about this from the flip side

in 1991 (the same year KNP dropped their third album) this album was the #1 album in the country - not just hip hop, but overall
NWA-Efil.jpg

they showed the news clippings, and people being shocked at the content etc etc...

but here we are now, some 26 years later, and all of this just.....never happened. all a figment of peoples imaginations.

there is just absolutely no way that hip hop shifted in another direction and peoples tastes changed

nah...it's just that kid n play sucked.

tumblr_mv224mHvmk1rhtwg1o1_r1_400.gif

The irony is that the "gangsta flip" that happens in the early 90s, was largely because of NWA and Death Row bringing
so many white kids as consumers to Hip Hop.

They attracted white kids who wanted vicariously live stereotypical ghetto lives through their music.

That's also the time that white Viacom's MTV goes heavy on rap, and two white kids from Harvard launch The Source Magazine.

Groups like Whodini, who sold a million records to a completely black audience in the mid 80s, were wiped out because
of the tone and attitude change to appease the white fanbase seeking gang banging and drug dealing on wax and in videos.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
:mjlol: You're enraged.

Look. Let's simplify this: is will smith wrong in saying this about his career?

Yes or no. Calm down and let your face stop shaking if you need to before you respond.
Yes. He's wrong. Cause he had no perspective. Put it like this. Will Smith was always looked at as corny. Even in the 80s. He hates that. shyt ain't really have nothin to do wit the 90s. Add to the fact he ain't really have bars like that. He became a goofy comedian. Then a movie star. All kinda shyt that added to it. And guess what?. People STILL gave his music a chance.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Hold up..I'm openly issuing a challenge:

Somebody please post an interview, article or anything from a nationally known industry insider be it a journalist, artist, producer anybody from that era who's said that hip hop DID NOT shift toward "gangsta" rap DURING the early 90's. And that this is a widely known myth or flat out lie.

This will cut down on all the anger and emotion and we can move the actual discussion forward

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
The irony is that the "gangsta flip" that happens in the early 90s, was largely because of NWA and Death Row bringing
so many white kids as consumers to Hip Hop.

They attracted white kids who wanted vicariously live stereotypical ghetto lives through their music.

That's also the time that white Viacom's MTV goes heavy on rap, and two white kids from Harvard launch The Source Magazine.

Groups like Whodini, who sold a million records to a completely black audience in the mid 80s, were wiped out because
of the tone and attitude change to appease the white fanbase seeking gang banging and drug dealing on wax and in videos.
Wrong. They fell off because hip hop shifted in a more lyrical direction. shyt was young and still evolving. And I guarantee if they still dropped some heat. They would've been fine. MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice was like some of the biggest selling hip hop artists of all time. Nothin gangsta about they music. White people loved them muthafukkas tho. Black people too. U 2 are off base bro.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
theyre right. they were pushing gangsta rap heavy back then

It was the white takeover of Hip Hop in the early 90s that help promotes the gangsta stuff and drug dealing in the music and videos.

Ted Demme created Yo MTV Raps

t508969-01.jpg

The Harvard kids who created The Source

hqdefault.jpg

The guy who changed Hot 97 in NYC to a Hip Hop format

STEVESMITHHHHHHHHHH.jpg

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Yes. He's wrong. Cause he had no perspective. Put it like this. Will Smith was always looked at as corny. Even in the 80s. He hates that. shyt ain't really have nothin to do wit the 90s. Add to the fact he ain't really have bars like that. He became a goofy comedian. Then a movie star. All kinda shyt that added to it. And guess what?. People STILL gave his music a chance.

But none of this has anything to do with this discussion - Urban radio stopped playing his music after '91 - this is not opinion, it's fact,

it's actually what that whole song is about, he knows he has BIG records, but they didn't connect with BLACK audiences