IMDB to shut down its Message Boards

Conz

Superstar
Daps
i think my main problem with this is the fact that i probably have to take up Reddit, and I've managed to basically live my life Reddit-free to this point. i hate everything about Reddit.

Have a random thought - man, what was that movie where the dude farted and accidentally shat his pants in church.

Go to reddit, ask that question. Get replies like "Ummm, post this in r/accidentalshatpantsinmovies please or we'll ban you!!!"

there's a subreddit for everything. I think my 6th grade math class somehow has a subreddit

"What do you guys think of Robin Williams" posted in r/RobinWilliams

"Hey dummy, read the rules. This is for broad Robin Williams discussions, to talk about his movies from the 90s, post this in r/RobinWilliams90sMovies

and on top of everything else, i still find that site tough to read. it looks like shyt

I don't what the fukk I'm talking about either, aight.

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Someone smart can start a new movie website and drag all those users over

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I've been a registered user for ages, it's the easiest way to keep track of all the movies you've seen in a year which is kinda useful if you watch 80+ movies in theaters every year. I barely visited the message boards anymore precisely because of the drivel that has now caused IMDb to shut them down.

Actually letterboxd is way easier to track your movies per year. Its not even close. They even email you at years end with all the movies you watched that year.

Also you can write reviews there..

Someone smart can start a new movie website and drag all those users over

But IMDB is too established at this point. Its like google+ trying to get everyone off facebook.

Not gonna happen.

We'll see what happens. Its letterboxd move to add forums. But everyone knows IMDB. Only the hardcore cinephiles know letterboxd

Conz

Superstar
Daps
this morning i want to see some thoughts on 24: Legacy... imdb board is where I go. I can read the coli thread, but i'm even too lazy for that. i'm not reading critical articles. times like this is when imdb was perfect. I'm sure for every "i liked it." "it sucks" there is a "why the fukk is dude black?!" but i can wade through that shyt.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I could never use their boards for anything popular or current, but I did find them useful when wanting to find some kind of discussion about obscure or old movies/tv shows that weren't popular. Those don't tend to attract trolls.

Last edited:

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
i think my main problem with this is the fact that i probably have to take up Reddit, and I've managed to basically live my life Reddit-free to this point. i hate everything about Reddit.

Have a random thought - man, what was that movie where the dude farted and accidentally shat his pants in church.

Go to reddit, ask that question. Get replies like "Ummm, post this in r/accidentalshatpantsinmovies please or we'll ban you!!!"

there's a subreddit for everything. I think my 6th grade math class somehow has a subreddit

"What do you guys think of Robin Williams" posted in r/RobinWilliams

"Hey dummy, read the rules. This is for broad Robin Williams discussions, to talk about his movies from the 90s, post this in r/RobinWilliams90sMovies

and on top of everything else, i still find that site tough to read. it looks like shyt

I don't what the fukk I'm talking about either, aight.
R/movies and look on the sidebar for the related subreddits. I use to hate the layout as well but you get use to it.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
Sucks. I like reading what other people say about shows. I can't take AVClub seriously because everyone is too caught up in being politically correct or liking a show because it's in the zeitgeist (or they are a fan of some random white actor that mainstream audiences are uninterested in like Maria Bamford or Greta Gerwig). That becomes repetitive. No one ever talked about Blunt Talk (Starz) here, so I would read IMDB to see any discussion I could find about it.

I always hated those "How many posters here are gay?" on a lot of the movie boards. I'd be thinking ":childplease: The fukk does that have to do with the movie discussion?" I'd then be like ":hubie: Just let them be. Let them be. :hubie:"

He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps
The Rosario Dawson board :mjlol:

Those boards were good for looking up a random actor or somebody you haven't seen since a movie from 95 and getting an update on them from somebody in the know
Link? I never posted there. Anyone have a link to anything funny?