If Jennifer Lawrence Can't Open a Movie, Who Can?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Like I said before Tom Cruise is pretty much a shoe in. Considering his age, longevity and the fact that this is the age of comic book superheroes

Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow, Jack Reacher all did relatively well.

This Marvel sh!t has ruined big paydays for the stars of yesteryear

Oblivion didn’t do well homie. Edge of tomorrow didn’t either at least not till home video and even then I’m not sure how well it actually did. And the first jack reacher yeah but not the second

Oblivion was made for 160 and grossed 260. That ain’t doing well. Compare that to jack reacher which was made for 60 and made 218. So yeah that’s doing well and why we immediately got a sequel that then didn’t do well.

This isn’t a knock on Tom. I love Tom. I’ll see a Tom movie any day of the week. But the climate is different and his star isn’t what it used to be. But that’s okay. He’s hit or miss now and it isn’t always because he picks bad movies either. Edge of tomorrow didn’t find its audience till home video and did better overseas than in America. That’s just the world now

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Like I said before Tom Cruise is pretty much a shoe in. Considering his age, longevity and the fact that this is the age of comic book superheroes

Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow, Jack Reacher all did relatively well.

This Marvel sh!t has ruined big paydays for the stars of yesteryear
Funny because he could have been Tony Stark. lol

MIKE SPLEAN

Superstar
Daps
In the last year or so, look how many of the highest paid stars in Hollywood flopped or underperformed domestically

The Rock (Baywatch)
Tom Cruise (The Mummy, American Made)
Mark Wahlberg (Transformers, All The Money In The World)
Matt Damon (The Great Wall, Downsizing, Suburbicon)
Vin Disel (Return of Xander Cage)
Tom Hanks (The Circle)
Emma Watson (The Circle)
Chris Hemsworth (12 Strong)
Scarlett Johansson (Rough Night)
Emma Stone (Battle of the Sexes)
Christian Bale (Hostiles)
Chris Pratt (if J-Law failed with Passengers then he did too, Magnificent 7)
Denzel Washington (Roman J. Israel, Magnificent 7)
Ben Affleck (Live by Night, arguably Justice League)
Ryan Gosling (The Nice Guys, Blade Runner 2049)

Some of these did better overseas so their starpower might matter to foreigners that only know a handful of American stars, but these films and the "star power" attached was :flabbynsick: in America and failed to make their budget back. And then you have guys like Will Smith, Adam Sandler, and Brad Pitt doing straight to netflix movies instead of bothering with being box office draws at all.
Quincy said you could have the best artist on a bad song and it won’t be a hit
You could have the worst singer on the best song it will be a hit

I think the same goes for Hollywood it ain’t the actors it’s the films.

All of the films on their own were pretty mediocre at best :yeshrug:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
If it wasn't MI6 wouldn't get made....
Mission Impossible is an established franchise. Established franchise films are doing great.

But Cruise has struggled with starting new franchises; Dark Universe is on life support and Edge of Tomorrow under performed.

He is no longer a shoe in for anything other than Mission Impossible.

Last edited:

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mission Impossible is an established franchise. Established franchise films are doing great.

But Cruise has struggled with starting new franchises; Dark Universe is on life support and Edge of Tomorrow under performed.

:yeshrug:

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
Not entirely true. They’re able to say “okay you in the mummy isn’t going to work but you in mission impossible will work” and they build those mission impossible flicks as ensembles now rather than relying solely on cruise to carry the marketing unlike the mummy movie. Mission impossible makes money so they keep them going. And also he produces them so he’s going to make sure it happens. He’s consistency has taken a hit since his heyday, but that’s to be expected. He’s not a young cat anymore and there’s still a generation that didn’t grow up on him so they don’t have the affinity.

Mission impossible has been his one saving grace as of late. The first jack reacher seemed to be the anomaly

Edge of Tomorrow
Oblivion
American Made

In the time since the first Jack Reacher were all good. Ironically enough, I watched the second Reacher and PU was that ever garbage. Script was a joke. Turned it off about 40 minutes in, couldn't take it.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

They already pulled the plug on dark universe. Right now they’re trying to dig up a new body, find a normal brain (and not abnormal) and bring it back to life. Last I read, they’re still trying to entice Guillermo to take the reigns. And if not him, someone close to him. So there’s a chance Tom could still be involved with it but I feel like they’d want to cut bait and start new.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Edge of Tomorrow
Oblivion
American Made

In the time since the first Jack Reacher were all good. Ironically enough, I watched the second Reacher and PU was that ever garbage. Script was a joke. Turned it off about 40 minutes in, couldn't take it.

Are you listing those as hits or just as dope movies?

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
Are you listing those as hits or just as dope movies?

Oblivion was definitely not a hit, but the other two I listed, were good movies that have made money. Cruise is a strange case in the fact that some of his movies find life in the post box office. Like people say the Mummy didn't do well, yet it made $400 million. I still contend the film didn't fail because of him.

The whole we'll throw a star in a movie, forget about the story, just do re-shoots until we get it right and expect a billy doesn't make sense. The world is connected via social media for global films now. If Europe knows we hate a movie, that makes them hesitant, unless it's the Pirates movies or Furious franchise.

I will say this on Red Sparrow, I think it's basura, but... in the 12 days since it's release, it has made 52+ overseas. If Jennifer would have taken 6 million instead of 20, budget would have been 55 million and when this film topped out over 100, studio would have been like cool. But since she wants to be paid like the Rock, you gotta deliver that 220 million dollars. And this is where the disconnect is.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Oblivion was definitely not a hit, but the other two I listed, were good movies that have made money. Cruise is a strange case in the fact that some of his movies find life in the post box office. Like people say the Mummy didn't do well, yet it made $400 million. I still contend the film didn't fail because of him.

The whole we'll throw a star in a movie, forget about the story, just do re-shoots until we get it right and expect a billy doesn't make sense. The world is connected via social media for global films now. If Europe knows we hate a movie, that makes them hesitant, unless it's the Pirates movies or Furious franchise.

I will say this on Red Sparrow, I think it's basura, but... in the 12 days since it's release, it has made 52+ overseas. If Jennifer would have taken 6 million instead of 20, budget would have been 55 million and when this film topped out over 100, studio would have been like cool. But since she wants to be paid like the Rock, you gotta deliver that 220 million dollars. And this is where the disconnect it.

You gotta match the project with he budget. Red sparrow is a pulp flick. It shouldn’t be that much money invested. Keep your prices low. The John wick model works man. shyt even the taken model. Make them shyts for relatively cheap, give the actor a better deal on the back end and make them feel like they’re a part of the creative process and you’ll reap the rewards.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Although I agree that the Hollywood star is dying, Kevin Hart puts asses in seats